The "Recommend Me A New Anime/Manga" Thread

Alice

Student Council President
I thought this thread may be useful to anybody who wants something new to read or watch but doesn't know where to turn. With so many anime fans in one place, there will always be somebody who can recommend you a new series! I'll start it off.

I'm almost at the end of NANA and am completely infatuated with the series. I only own up to volume 5 of the manga but have just finished watching episode 38. The series ends at 47 so I will soon need something new to watch.

If anybody could recommend a good Shoujo, I would be very grateful. I like NANA (and also Paradise Kiss by the same creator) for a lot of reasons but mainly for the interesting lead characters (although I find I care a lot for other not so important characters also, such is the beauty of the character development), the storyline and the fantastic artistic detail that goes into the scenery, individual objects and especially the fashion. I love the fact that there's so much Vivienne Westwood hidden throughout the show!

I know I probably won't find an anime quite as 'trendy' as NANA but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I do have diverse tastes though and I'm also looking for other animes to watch. Here's a small list of anime I have enjoyed watching so please feel free to recommend me anything you think I will like!

Cowboy Bebop
Wolf's Rain
Death Note
Naruto Shippuden
Gunslinger Girl

I suppose the theme is anime aimed at teens/adults (minus Naruto, LOL) with substantial plots/stories and nothing that tries too hard to be funny.

tl;dr: Can anyone recommend 1. A good Shojo that's not too stupid and 2. Something like the list above. 8)

Thanks in advance and please feel free to use this thread to find something you like!

Gonna go with option 2, since I dun know Shoujo stuff n_n;

Samurai Champloo
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Ghost in the Shell
Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Baccano!
Durarara!!

Hmm, I always thought Nana was a josei manga rather than shoujo, but it seems you're right enough.

Shoujo wise, I think I'd struggle to come up with anything as dramatic as Nana, but you could do a lot worse than Lovely Complex. It's not desperately original, but the main characters are well written and it's funny without being overwraught.

I haven't seen much of either myself, but Ristorante Paradiso and Nodame Cantabile are both highly rated (albeit definitely josei) and probably worth a look too.

Paradox295 said:
Gonna go with option 2, since I dun know Shoujo stuff n_n;

Samurai Champloo
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Ghost in the Shell
Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
Trigun
Outlaw Star
Baccano!
Durarara!!

Thanks for the list! I watched the first few episodes of both Trigun and Samurai Champloo many years ago but couldn't get into it. I may think differently now though. I'll keep all of those in mind, thank you!

devilrules666 said:
Just about to watch NANA so I am glad you have enjoyed it Alice! I am looking forward to watching it now!

Oh, let me know what you think of it! I absolutely adore it, I can't wait to see how it ends. It's very true to life; lots of racing emotions, troubled romances and issues but it succeeds in being both feel-good and funny. I'd recommend it to almost anyone who's looking for anything realistic. :D

Professor Irony said:
Hmm, I always thought Nana was a josei manga rather than shoujo, but it seems you're right enough.

Shoujo wise, I think I'd struggle to come up with anything as dramatic as Nana, but you could do a lot worse than Lovely Complex. It's not desperately original, but the main characters are well written and it's funny without being overwraught.

I haven't seen much of either myself, but Ristorante Paradiso and Nodame Cantabile are both highly rated (albeit definitely josei) and probably worth a look too.

I didn't know what 'josei' was until I looked it up just now but I'd say NANA was on the border between that and Shojo. I'm 21 and it appeals to me very much. I'd say some of the themes it explores are quite adult in nature.

Thank you for the recommendations, I will also keep those in mind! :D

Lets see , anime that I recommend shoujo Wise:

Ayashi no Ceres
Fushigi Yugi
Ghost Hunt
Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama!

For option 2 it wil have to be:
Higurashi - if you like mystery and horror.
Shiki
Darker Than Black
Fairy Tail
Macross Frontier

raman fighter miki * funny*
ouran high school *funny*
gurren largann * awesome *
trigun *classic*
ghost hunt * creepy/good *
FMA *awesome *
lucky star *funny*
get backers * fun to watch *
cowboy bepbop *classic*
hetalia * fun to watch *
bambo blade *simple but good to watch *
sekirei * fan service *
fruits basket *great series *
gunslinger girls * beautiful *

Haha, thanks ilmaestro! Looking at my join date, I can't believe it was so many years ago!

Thank you everyone, I am sure I can find something I will enjoy out of what you have suggested.

:mrgreen:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any shoujo/josei drama as intense and downright cool as Yazawa's NANA and Paradise Kiss. I will second Lovely Complex and Fruits Basket, which are more comedy than drama but are brilliant nonetheless.

For adult-orientated anime that isn't shoujo, try Baccano, Eden of the East, Witch Hunter Robin, Moribito, and Darker Than Black for starters.

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
haruhi suzumiya * AWESOME *

Hah, I wonder what made you suggest that...
That aside, nice try but I've already seen it all :)
I won't deny though, you are right about it being pretty awesome, especially Disappearance.
* it sure is my brother it sure is *

i just wish they continued the series * anime * if this series was so awesome why the hell didn't they finish it. i mean i hear this series has a load of fans * a load of fans * and had a load of attention, so why why its so awesome why not finish the anime

Lawrence said:
Any suggestions?
Stop being wrong. *good idea*

On a more serious note, I am still halfway through writing up my thoughts on 2011. *exciting*

So my recommendations will come in there, although we do not always see eye-to-eye on these things. *not so surprising*

Can't be bothered to make a new thread, is Yugo The Negotiator worth a purchase for under £10?

Perhaps someone should create an "Anime Recommendations Thread" where people can ask for opinions on a specific show, instead of having to create threads each time they want some advice.

britguy said:
Can't be bothered to make a new thread, is Yugo The Negotiator worth a purchase for under £10?
Yeah? Yeah. I'm gonna say yeah.

/unconvincing

It's not exactly thrilling for large parts, but the setting is pretty unique.

I'm tempted to try out "Birdy the Mighty: Decode". Would anyone recommend it?

Play.com currently have volume 1 for £15 and volume 2 for £8.

Zavvi will also sell you v.1 for £8, if you do decide to pick it up. I didn't watch it yet (having not long ordered it from Zavvi), but it seems to have been well received on here in general.

ilmaestro said:
Zavvi will also sell you v.1 for £8, if you do decide to pick it up. I didn't watch it yet (having not long ordered it from Zavvi), but it seems to have been well received on here in general.
*forgot Zavvi existed*

£16 for both volumes?! Nice.

Back