The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

No Regrets is a prequel, so you can watch it after season 1 as you’ve been introduced to Levi and Erwin.
Is lost girls in the right place, after S3?

Usually I would go off MAL but everything has been put under the Spinoff section of Season 1 (other than the S2 onwards Recap movies ofc)

Does the ADV UK DVD of Nadesico use NTSC encodes? I'm looking to replace disc 6 NTSC, but it's difficult to find the right copy because the US and UK volumes share the same UPC code for some stupid reason. I don't mind getting the UK release if it uses the NTSC encode.

EDIT: Never mind. I ordered the US DVD.

Last edited:
Just wondering what OVA's I should watch after Season 1 Attack on Titan

Does this sound about right? Some people mention No Regrets could also be watched after Season 1

Season 1
Memoirs of a Scout, Sudden Visitor and Distress
Season 2
No Regrets Parts 1+2
Season 3
Lost Girls Parts 1-3
Final Season

I'm skipping all the recap movies

No Spoilers please
found this

00A9D27F-A809-4AE5-8F67-DA017A308AED.jpeg

Thanks @Gemsy-chan :)

Off topic question. Any 1970~80's anime people would recommend that isnt 40+ episodes long.

Going to watch Magical Idol Pastel Yumi

------

I see how much Anime has changed over the years, going from a few series a season, good amount seem to be 50+ episodes long

To 12 episode seasons being really common now

I guess it was far more cost effective to make Cels for longer shows. While now its all digital so they dont have that upfront cost (in both time and money)

Off topic question. Any 1970~80's anime people would recommend that isnt 40+ episodes long.

Rose of Versailles is 40 episodes, does that just squeeze in? It's really good :)

Series were generally longer then, which I liked because they actually had to have an interesting, broadly marketable premise instead of a one-note gag stretched over 12 episodes (though there were certainly a few like that too!) but if you're wanting to dip into the 80s without a huge time investment then you'd probably do well starting with some of the movies/OAVs which were early fare for a lot of UK fans back in the 90s VHS days.

R

Going to watch Magical Idol Pastel Yumi
Is Pastel Yumi available legally somewhere?

I'm struggling to think of many 70s/80s shows that are less than 40 episodes, never mind ones I'd recommend. 26 episodes didn't really become common until the 90s. As Rui says, you may be better looking for OAVs and movies.

 Movies
Akira
Arcadia of my Youth
Fist of the North Star
Early Ghibli movies, obviously
Project A-ko (don't bother with the sequels)
Urusei Yatsura, especially 1, 2 and 4
Space Adventure Cobra
Dirty Pair: Project Eden
Locke the Superman
They were Eleven

OAVs
Bubblegum Crisis
Vampire Hunter D
Dominion Tank Police
Gunbuster

TV
Space Runaway Ideon
Patlabor
Captain Harlock
Ulysses 31

Is Pastel Yumi available legally somewhere?
Sorry, I thought it was on RetroCrush as it came up but the sites only for the US and will either give an error its not availble for the UK. or for Pastel Yumi just and endless loading loop

For the suggestions, Thank you I will have a look at what I can find (lot seems to be oop, quite a few mentioned above I actually have on Bluray/DVD and didnt even think about...)

I suspected anything under 40 would be difficult just from looking at Studio Pierrot and MAL. Episode count was nowhere near the 12 episode thats common now. It also seems 24 Episode have got pretty uncommon over the last few years in favor of multiple 12 episode "parts".

Then again, maybe I'm part of the problem choosing shorter 12 episode shows over longer series :/ 😹

There's very very few 70's and 80's anime I have any interested in; my starting point of interest is around 1995, with the second half of the 1990's - The Ghost in the Shell movies and Escaflowne are the biggest titles for me from pre-2000. Then of course the 2000's decade is my anime worship period, lol.

TV
Lupin III (and any of the movies really but I'll always plug Castle of Cagliostro)
Mobile Suit Gundam (39 episodes, so just squeezes into the category ;) alternatively there's the movie trilogy)
Future Boy Conan

Movies
Galaxy Express 999
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer

OVA
Patlabor (and Patlabor The Movie 1 & 2)
Devilman The Birth & The Demon Bird Sirene
Cyber City Oedo 808

This one is quite difficult tbh, most shows from the period tended to be longer than shows that air now and in the 80's, there was the boom of OVAs and movies which dominate my list for that decade.

There's very very few 70's and 80's anime I have any interested in; my starting point of interest is around 1995, with the second half of the 1990's - The Ghost in the Shell movies and Escaflowne are the biggest titles for me from pre-2000. Then of course the 2000's decade is my anime worship period, lol.

Just thinking that you might enjoy Dear Brother if you haven't seen that (an early 90s title). Escaflowne is freakin' amazing :)

And to top off the holy trinity Dogtanian and the Muskehounds!
OK, maybe not. But fond memories of these 3 growing up, more so than the likes of Transformers, He-man and Thundercats.
If you haven't seen Ulysses 31 since the 80s, you may be surprised at how well it holds up. It does a great job of merging its SF and mythical elements into some interesting stories, and has a real ending (remember those?). The only downside is the somewhat wonky voice acting.

There was a 3-volume DVD release in the UK about 15 years ago, but I don't know how difficult it is to find now.

Has anyone had any experience importing from Japan to UK with Amazon JP?

I’m looking to get White Album 2 but total price breakdown surprisingly doesn’t include VAT etc which is included when I’ve imported stuff from Amazon USA.
Anyone have a guide or impressions on the sort of fees I could be hit with? WA2 is already a tad expensive without being hit with VAT and unknown handling fees etc

I’m looking to get White Album 2 but total price breakdown surprisingly doesn’t include VAT etc which is included when I’ve imported stuff from Amazon USA.
Anyone have a guide or impressions on the sort of fees I could be hit with? WA2 is already a tad expensive without being hit with VAT and unknown handling fees etc
Also a little confused where Amazon.jp are at in terms of this now. I think they've just rolled it into the 'Shipping and handling' fee.

Here's 2 of my orders which are similar in price, one from 2018 where customs clearance fee was explicit and another from more recently where it was not:
s0pwxvU.png

Both were delivered by the same DHL service, both were over the customs threshhold, neither required additional customs charges.

I doubt the service has doubled in price (I could be wrong!). I suspect it's more likely so they don't have to deal with refunding any excess customs charges?

If you are hit though, it'll be an £11 admin fee + 20% of the price of the item + postage.

Last edited:

I ordered a Band Maid DVD about six weeks ago. No extra fees and it arrived at my door in a little over 48 hours from ordering. But that's a sample size of one, so I can't guarantee anything (waiting for next month before buying another hard-to-get JPop indulgence).

Does anyone know if UP1 are having problems sending out orders since the start of the week?

I only ask because I pre-ordered Magia Record Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Volume 2 back in November & UP1 have had it in stock since Monday, but they have not even started processing my order yet.
It would be quicker to contact UP1 directly, they are very quick in replying. Just ask them when they are going to ship it

It would be quicker to contact UP1 directly, they are very quick in replying. Just ask them when they are going to ship it
Lol dunno how about that
Ive not used them before... But did email them yesterday morning about an item put the item details in the email.. As the descriptions really are not clear
... They havent replied... And just checked the item again online...its now out of print... So dont think. I would bother using them now personally.

Back