The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Where is the best place to buy VIVA Elite 12.5mm 3 disc Blu-ray cases? I'm not planning to go to Amazon US, after their poor excuse of packaging, resulting in damaged cases.

Where is the best place to buy VIVA Elite 12.5mm 3 disc Blu-ray cases? I'm not planning to go to Amazon US, after their poor excuse of packaging, resulting in damaged cases.
Does it have to be that exact brand? I think these Amaray cases are the same size.

Does it have to be that exact brand? I think these Amaray cases are the same size.
Amarays are 1.5mm bigger in width in terms of the size of the spine, compared to the VIVA Elite 3 disc case that was used for the Scrapped Princess Essentials BD set (the VIVA Elite is 12.5mm, while the Amaray is 14mm). I received Scrapped Princess as a Christmas present with a severely damaged case, although the discs themselves survived, and I'm temporarily using a 15mm 4 disc case, although the artwork is overlapping a bit on the spine.

I don't plan on buying the 12mm cases on sale, as they're the same ones used on Discotek's Dear Brother, which I had extreme difficulties getting discs 1 and 2 out.

EDIT: I was told about the damaged case in advance, but I wasn't told what the title was, so I wasn't spoiled.

Last edited:
If I had my druthers, I'd replace ALL of my Blu-ray cases with clear ones - I like the color blue, but for some reason, I just totally despise the appearance of blue Blu-ray cases. One reason I love digipaks so much instead!

On second thought, should I go for the Amaray 14/15mm case, despite it being slightly bigger than the VIVA Elite case (12.5mm) I mentioned?
I have re-cased a few 12.5mm blu-rays to 15mm viva 4-6 way cases (in my case this is usually merging 2 seasons into 1 case), and kinda works. I think the rounder spine helps abit, but does leave a bit of a gap at the ends. But it does also depend on the on the actual spine artwork and how differnt the art along the spine is compared to the front and back (ideally you want the same backroung colour all the way through).
I would just give it a go in a 14/15mm and see how it looks, if your concerned the artwork will bend too much on testing just don't close the case, and see how it lines up.

I have re-cased a few 12.5mm blu-rays to 15mm viva 4-6 way cases (in my case this is usually merging 2 seasons into 1 case), and kinda works. I think the rounder spine helps abit, but does leave a bit of a gap at the ends. But it does also depend on the on the actual spine artwork and how differnt the art along the spine is compared to the front and back (ideally you want the same backroung colour all the way through).
I would just give it a go in a 14/15mm and see how it looks, if your concerned the artwork will bend too much on testing just don't close the case, and see how it lines up.
The problem is that I always keep my Blu-rays and DVDs on the shelf with only the spine showing, and in the case of Scrapped Princess, parts of the Essentials banner would be showing on the spine if I have a case with a spine thicker than 12.5mm, which would look a bit awkward. Then again, I'm currently using a case with a flat spine, so it might look less awkward with a VIVA Elite 4 disc case with a 15mm spine (they're easy to get on Amazon UK as of this writing, and thankfully, their packaging is nowhere near as bad as Amazon US).

If the Essentials banner is disturbing you, might it be an option to just switch the cases with e.g. a 3-disc Sentai release (most 24 eps-series come on 3 discs)

Hello there!
I'm working my way through Sword Art Online, and I'm currently on the third season: Alicization.

I noticed on Netflix it's been given an 18 rating.

Can any elaborate (without spoilers) why the rating has suddenly shot up?

Hello there!
I'm working my way through Sword Art Online, and I'm currently on the third season: Alicization.

I noticed on Netflix it's been given an 18 rating.

Can any elaborate (without spoilers) why the rating has suddenly shot up?
It's a specific event that happens. You'll know it when you get there.

So who are Section23 films?

I get Sentai Filmworks licenses titles for home video / streaming.

Streaming usually goes to HiDive or Crunchyroll

With the Home video being distributed in the US by Section23 and UK by MVM

But as this distributor I've never seen a Section23 logo on any releases like MVM do. Obviously because MVM is a completely sperate company, but wouldnt that apply to Section23 as well

I assumed this was simply down to Sentai Filmworks and Section23 both being owned by Sentai Holdings so they use the standard Sentai Filmworks logo

But then we have Maiden Japan who's titles are also distributed by Section23 and still no Section23 logo

And thats enough times I've written "Section23" and "Sentai" for today lol

Section 23 is the distribution company for all that Sentai, Maiden Japan, Aesir, Switchblade, Kraken, Softcel and leftover ADV stuff.
Afaik all of these companies, including Hidive and The Anime Network, are run by the former founders of ADV Films. They were founded, cause ADV Films was in financial troubles around 2008.

So whilest on paper all of these are seperate companies, most of them share CEO and staff.

Do cex sell import blu ray? Abit curious about something
They shouldn't do (well they always given me the line of we don't accept imports), but it possible that as it's being sold Cex staff didn't notice (so would probably have to have a UK release as well).
They do occasionally use thumbnails images of what would be import.

Do cex sell import blu ray? Abit curious about something

They shouldn't do (well they always given me the line of we don't accept imports), but it possible that as it's being sold Cex staff didn't notice (so would probably have to have a UK release as well).
They do occasionally use thumbnails images of what would be import.
i think it depends on the store, i've seen a couple dvd only uk releases have their US blu-ray counterparts pop up on the site such as Continuum season 4 along side some US only games but whenever i've gone to trade in ESRB versions of games at my store they say they don't take anything without printed BBFC/PEGI ratings despite them having a USK rated game on the shelf with a stickered BBFC rating on it

Back