The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

Lutga said:
Plus, I'm sure I won't be the only one saying this - but the day someone picks up a rescue re-release of Haruhi season 1, I'll be in heaven.

Man, imagine if anime limited did an ultimate edition for haruhi, on bd with the good Japanese masters (not the ugly ones that have been released more recently) with both s1, s2, the movie and the haruhi chan stuff, like what they're doing with FMP. Man, that'd be so awesome....we can only dream though :'(

On the topic of Lain, I got a twitter reply from MVM in regards to it since I asked them about it while enquiring about the Patlabor line-up:
We have been looking into it but I believe the license is still with Geneon, and as they're no longer around, its complicated :/
Thought that it might be of some interest.

Does Manga's Bayonetta blu-ray mirror Funimation's, or have they created their own shoddy subs again?

sky_captain said:
Does Manga's Bayonetta blu-ray mirror Funimation's, or have they created their own shoddy subs again?

I believe they have authored their own discs locally. Not checked the subs but the audio is DTS-HD Master audio, Funimations is TrueHD.

I've got a question about how people go about clearing their backlogs of stuff to watch.

Do you generally stick to strict rules ie. You must finish a show before moving on to the next, or will you switch over to something else halfway through if you get bored?

Do you have limits that you will set in terms of the size of your backlog - ie. you won't let yourself buy anything new if your backlog gets to a certain size?

Lutga said:
I've got a question about how people go about clearing their backlogs of stuff to watch.

Do you generally stick to strict rules ie. You must finish a show before moving on to the next, or will you switch over to something else halfway through if you get bored?

Do you have limits that you will set in terms of the size of your backlog - ie. you won't let yourself buy anything new if your backlog gets to a certain size?

I generally try to stick to one show at a time and then move onto another once i've finished it. Sometimes i do start another halfway through if i'm in the mood for something different at that particular moment. An example of this is a couple of weeks ago i was halfway through Attack on Titan but one night i felt like watching a comedy/fan service show so i started Cat Planet Cuties and watched that over the next few days, afterwards i came back and finished off Attack on Titan.

Unless something is on sale (like with Anime Limited's Christmas Deals) then i try not to add too much to my backlog at any one time. My backlog never really gets too low as usually once i've watched quite a few shows i've ended up buying the same amount to add onto it to bring back to where it was :lol:

Another big factor for me is shelf space if i'm running out of shelf space then i usually don't buy any for awhile or at least until i've sold some that i didn't enjoy or likely won't watch again.

Lutga said:

I generally watch a show from start to finish without switching to something else. On rare occasions I have switched to watching a movie than suddenly arrived before going back to a series.

I try to watch a few episodes every weekend, usually with the aim to clear 1 series a week (12-13 ep long ones) but I don't let my progress or lack thereof stop me from picking something up that I know I wanted to watch.

I watch whatever I feel in the mood to watch. I don't have any rules about growing my backlog, especially if I see a good deal on a physical release. I've not had time to watch much at the moment as uni is taking over my life. I'm just about managing to keep up with my weekly shows.

My trouble is that I'll often start long series/box sets - eg. Robotech/Dragon Ball etc - get a few discs through and then fancy something a little different. But then when I come back I've sort of lost that 'connection' with the characters and it sort of feels like it's interrupted a sense of total immersion in a show. But then equally, it's pretty hard to force yourself to finish something when you're not in the mood for it, so that's probably not ideal either.

I tend to go through my backlog in a fairly random matter, I'll usually be watching a series or two in a one-episode-per-day pattern. I have a habit of stopping watching halfway through series though. I'm 16 episodes into CardCaptor Sakura and haven't watched an episode in about 2 months, 3 episodes into Bakemonogatari and haven't watched an episode for nearly a year, and I've just started watching Samurai 7 again after about a 6 month break...

Lutga said:
when I come back I've sort of lost that 'connection' with the characters and it sort of feels like it's interrupted a sense of total immersion in a show.
I often find this too, it took me an episode or two to get back into Samurai 7 and remember who everyone was, but now I feel right back into the show.

I take streaming shows into account when choosing something from the dvd backlog, so for example I won't watch Toradora if I'm streaming more than one Slice of Life shows at the same time, but otherwise I just pick out whatever I happen to feel like watching at the time. If I'm not enjoying it much then it will slow down my viewing (Canaan took two weeks for me to finish) but I will stick with a show doggedly until it's done.

st_owly said:
I watch whatever I feel in the mood to watch. I don't have any rules about growing my backlog, especially if I see a good deal on a physical release. I've not had time to watch much at the moment as uni is taking over my life. I'm just about managing to keep up with my weekly shows.

My situation is quite similar. My computer has two drives so I usually have two series on the go at once (from different genres, ideally) and I watch whichever I feel like most, but depending on my mood I'll switch things around freely. With some episodic or heavy titles I just dip in and out as much as I want, whereas other types of show end up getting marathoned. I pick new titles out of the backlog without any consideration for how long they've been there (my current record holder is still the 2006 release of Getbackers, which has somehow never seemed interesting enough to work its way to the front of the queue ^^; ).

At the moment I'm so busy with work that it's all I can do to follow my regular Crunchyroll stuff, so my backlog is quietly growing again. It's immense right now but I never stop buying because I hate missing out on first editions or good deals.

If a show's boring me I'll drop it, or use it as background entertainment when I'm doing some ironing.

R

Lutga said:

Personally, I like stick to one show & finish it (excluding currently airing), I won't watch anything else till it's complete.

My partner likes the opposite though, he prefers to have a few going at once. We watch currently airing together (bar shows one of us doesn't have interest in, we'll watch them alone) & a couple of shows that have finished airing on the side. This may change in the future as we're not having much luck with it, have a few shows with a certain amount of eps watched for months now cause we're struggling to find the time to watch those together, even behind on airing shows!

I won't buy anything till I've finished what I've bought, with the exceptions being Anime Limited's releases, cause they're pretty and I want them on release ;)

Like another mentioned, I also refuse to watch anything of the same genre one after the other(bar airing), so if I've watched I dunno..Black Lagoon, I'll watch something like K-ON next, then Golden Time, then Mushishi ..I like to mix it up so it doesn't get boring.

Lutga said:

I try and watch them one at a time. That said, my backlog is really starting to build up, since I'm buying more than I am able to finish at one time. :lol:

Like Danielle said as well, I try and watch a different genre after each one.

VoxPhantom said:
I've just started watching Samurai 7 again after about a 6 month break...
I think I've started watching Samurai 7 about three times now, and never managed to finish it. Last thing I remember is a cave with lots of rice and bat people.

I prefer to stick to one show and watch it all. Does that successfully happen all the time? No lol. I tend to "get bored" or "get tempted" by another anime then move to that.

Anyone know of any website that I can order the AU madoka blu ray movies were I won't get charged import?

I've been having problems trying to watch Your Lie in April Episode 7 on Crunchyroll.

My laptop problems started a few weeks ago when I was watching and since then I've never been able to load it. My dad fixed my laptop but I still can't watch this episode. It says something about Shockwave every time I try. I'd actually thought I just couldn't use Crunchyroll but this had been the episode I'd went to everytime I tried it. Turns out everything else is fine, it's purely this one episode.

Does anyone know what could be up? Positive it's my laptop somehow 'remembering' the problems if that makes sense? I'm really useless at all this!

PandoraHane said:
I've been having problems trying to watch Your Lie in April Episode 7 on Crunchyroll.

My laptop problems started a few weeks ago when I was watching and since then I've never been able to load it. My dad fixed my laptop but I still can't watch this episode. It says something about Shockwave every time I try. I'd actually thought I just couldn't use Crunchyroll but this had been the episode I'd went to everytime I tried it. Turns out everything else is fine, it's purely this one episode.

Does anyone know what could be up? Positive it's my laptop somehow 'remembering' the problems if that makes sense? I'm really useless at all this!

Have you tried any other resolutions, or another browser?

Back