The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

Dannielle said:
I see.

I guess you can't get digital kindle manga on your Ipad? Exclusivity to Kindle? or not? Bar the Shonen Jump one.

I saw a few titles I would like to read on the Kindle store but it's missing some too, so yeah .. notable omissions are you said.

You can on the iPad - just download the Kindle for iPad app and download whatever you want from the Amazon store. But yeah, it's probably not as nice an experience as using the Kindle itself (as it's specifically designed for the purpose).

The main benefit of digital manga - other than saving shelf space - is that for the most part it's so damn cheap. First volumes are usually just a couple of quid and most don't cost more than a fiver per volume.

A few days late with this but personally I use a calendar system, put releases in on their release day (or the day after if there's too many things coming out on the same day). I colour each entry in depending on the priority level:
red = low priority. To get eventually.
orange = medium priority. To get when/if I feel like it or if I come across a good deal
green = high priority. To get as soon as is convenient. This is also the stuff that usually ends up on wishlists for christmas/birthdays.
light blue = ultra high priority. To get ASAP.

Once I've bought something (once it has arrived if bought online) it gets coloured in black. There are a few blank boxes as well, where something has had its date changed or been removed from the list.

Manga on Kindle Paperwhite is excellent, but Kindle manga releases also very good on any iPad with a retina display.

The Paperwhite is currently discounted, and I would highly recommend picking one up (I bought another one, making it my third Kindle and fifth eReader, so it's possible I'm a little biased >_>) just in general, but especially if you are interested in reading digital manga releases.

Are:
Ef: A Tale of Melodies & Ef: A Tale of Memories any good just got season 1 & 2 on blu ray for £7.99 each

Sora Takeuchi said:
Are:
Ef: A Tale of Melodies & Ef: A Tale of Memories any good just got season 1 & 2 on blu ray for £7.99 each
I hear one of them is good while the other was average. But that was one hell of a deal you got there (makes me jealous haha).

Hey guys. Would you recommend ranma 1/2? How's the pacing? Does it do a dbz with drawn out fights?

britguy said:
Hey guys. Would you recommend ranma 1/2? How's the pacing? Does it do a dbz with drawn out fights?

I really like Ranma 1/2, but I'd recommend it with some reservations. Firstly, it's old, so a lot of the things that are great about it have since been done better (and on a much higher budget). Secondly, it's more of a comedy than a proper martial arts manga - the stories tend to be self-contained so you won't find any slow-paced DBZ hijinks at all.

The quality is variable throughout its run, but it's sweetly charming in a classic 80s/90s way. If you like Takahashi Rumiko or ridiculous romantic comedies it's well worth a look, otherwise there might be better uses of your time nowadays.

R

I've blind bought the first season off amazon canada. The fact that its more comedy than DBZ is good, and the fact that there seems to be plenty of self contained episodes is exactly what I wanted.

The sets look awesome, if im impressed with the production values on this then i'll definitely bite at Sailor Moon, which I know i'll like :)

Cool, I'd love to hear what you think of it when you get a chance to watch the first season :)

R

"If you like Takahashi Rumiko" is such a loaded phrase. Maison Ikkoku is a GOAT contender, whereas Inu-yasha is bad shounen action for deviants. I would take all of her work on a case-by-case basis more than most Big Time mangaka.

But I like Inu Yasha ;_;

(Having said that, I still haven't so much as checked out Rin-ne...)

R

ilmaestro said:
"If you like Takahashi Rumiko" is such a loaded phrase. Maison Ikkoku is a GOAT contender, whereas Inu-yasha is bad shounen action for deviants. I would take all of her work on a case-by-case basis more than most Big Time mangaka.

Had to look up GOAT to work out if it was good or bad, Maison Ikkoku is definitely one of her best. I wish we goy more Urusei Yatsura too.

I started Inu Yasha, it was fairly enjoyable, but I've got to the point where I have 10-15 unread volumes and I'm nowhere near the end. I think we can call that pretty much dropped.

Pre-05? Where to start... are we just talking series? Are there any you have seen? Or any genres you enjoy?

I'm gonna list of a bunch of shows I like, although some may be more 05-07 as well.

Classics for me are Death Note, Escaflowne, Eureka Seven, Big O, Bebop, (I haven't seen it, but some may say Outlaw Star), Bleach (up until the end of the Soul Society arc), Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, FLCL, Karas, Elfen Lied, Gankutsuou, Welcome to the NHK.

Watch Trigun and then allow yourself to follow it with Samurai X Trust and Betrayal. Nothing in anime form will bring you closer to the moment of Clouds and Rain. Unless Hentai is your bag.

Oh and Tekken! Eff what you heard, it's a straight gem classic.

Man, post 05 anime just doesn't come close. In fact I think that was the exact year everything probably started going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gundam SEED and Escaflowne are must-watches if you love mecha shows.

Death Note is a no-brainer too - if ever there was a series to show to your mates and say 'Hey, you know that anime thing I love, I reckon you might like this too...' it's Death Note. It's basically a crime thriller, but with added supernatural elements. The premise is probably one of the finest you'll ever see.

Cowboy Bebop is obviously brilliant too - especially now with the Blu-Rays from Anime Ltd. I love how almost every episode is essentially a self-contained story. The plotting is just so elegantly done throughout.

Pre-05 covers an awful lot of ground, but basically this:
ilmaestro said:
Watch Stand Alone Complex and rejoice.

Gundam SEED, I will never understand the love for (is it because it was on tv?). It looks nice enough in a bland sort of way and, as one of my friends always points out, there's more ship to ship combat in it than most Gundam offerings if that's your bag, but I never found it more than mediocre throughout.

If we're staying in that late '90s / early 2000s bracket though, Initial D is worth a look. It's not the greatest sports show ever, but I feel it's suitably daft and oddly compelling enough to make it worth seeing a bit of, even just so as you can say definitively that you didn't like it.

I'd also go to bat for Nadesico, despite the opinions expressed on the subject by other users. The meta show-within-a-show elements are fun, and I thought its efforts at sitting tragedy and comedy alongside each other were surprisingly successful.

Back