The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Anyone have any advice on how to funimation for free with the ads? Any known issues/glitches?

I registered for a free account but have not been able to watch any shows at all with all apparently requiring a subscription. Have tried through the app on an Android mobile and a smart TV.

Thanks in advance!
I haven't come across any issues, but I have heard others have had problems, I think it is with certain devices, so if possible might be worth using a differnt device if possible (I mainly use my PC with a web browser and the odd time andriod app).
But I think the app is meant to be a bit random for who and what it works on. Not tried and probably not all that convient but you could watch via smart TV or andriod via a web browser and that might work (not sure you even have to log in if through a web browser for free content, so might save a bit of thime for testing it out at least).

The way to tell if they are free to watch or not is there is a purple funimation logo next to them which would mean they are the paid subcriptions only (they do usually give you the first episode or 2 as free to watch)

I haven't come across any issues, but I have heard others have had problems, I think it is with certain devices, so if possible might be worth using a differnt device if possible (I mainly use my PC with a web browser and the odd time andriod app).
But I think the app is meant to be a bit random for who and what it works on. Not tried and probably not all that convient but you could watch via smart TV or andriod via a web browser and that might work (not sure you even have to log in if through a web browser for free content, so might save a bit of thime for testing it out at least).

The way to tell if they are free to watch or not is there is a purple funimation logo next to them which would mean they are the paid subcriptions only (they do usually give you the first episode or 2 as free to watch)
Good to know, thank you very much for the handy summary. Was feeling a bit bewildered about how to tell what you can and can't watch without a subscription. Will try watching on a few other devices to see if anything works for me.

Ages ago now, but the PS4 app worked OK for the unsubscribed. The ads never played either, although the interruption of a few seconds was still enough for me to sign up. The buffering still effects me occasionally even subscribed, but not quite as bad.
I think I subbed before I started to watch seasonal, so can't say what the policy is on new shows, but others are/were normally a weeks delay.

Ages ago now, but the PS4 app worked OK for the unsubscribed. The ads never played either, although the interruption of a few seconds was still enough for me to sign up. The buffering still effects me occasionally even subscribed, but not quite as bad.
I think I subbed before I started to watch seasonal, so can't say what the policy is on new shows, but others are/were normally a weeks delay.
Ah good to know, I'll try my PS4 as that's the next easiest device for me to watch on, but yeah the buffering may put me off as well heh. Thanks for the tip!

Update: it does in fact work on my PS4 - so random! Still finding a lot of episodes behind the subscriber paywall, the pattern being somewhat random: newer series like Sleepy Princess only has episode 2 for subscribers only, whereas older series like Death Parade only have the first two episodes for free. Random app glitches and ****blocking like this is already putting me off funimation...I used to happily watch Crunchyroll for free before deciding it was a service worth paying for in my case, but the opposite seems true for Funimation so far...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's a difference between Discotek and Sentai's Venus Wars releases? From what I remember Discotek did their own restoration of the film because from what I've seen of the Japanese blu-ray it's god awful but the Discotek one looked pretty good. So did Sentai reuse that or have they used the Japanese master? Have they included any other extras that Discotek didn't?

There's a bunch of questions here but like... basically, is it worth getting the Sentai release, is the main one. Or am I better off tracking down the Discotek one?

Sentai's BD uses the Japanese remaster, not the old Italian remaster.

The old remaster has less filtering, but it inherently has more grain and contrast because it's sourced from some kind of a dupe element. Japanese remaster uses an original camera negative scan.

Discotek BD has out-of-sync Japanese audio. Sentai's BD has a new dub and the old one is not included.

Does anyone know a proxy for importing from Japan for stuff that is only available in physical stores? There are a lot of shops participating, but it seems limited to local shops even if they are spread out to quite some locations. The one I used once before has moved out of Japan, so can't help with that.
Most of all proxys are only about ordering stuff online. The one I used before was also less a professional proxy/forwarding shop but was rather a more one or two person running a little shop on the side.
(Does not need to be able to speak English, I could write them in Japanese, but needs to be able to accept foreign credit card, ebay or be willing to accept amazon.co.jp gift cards.)

Does anyone know a proxy for importing from Japan for stuff that is only available in physical stores? There are a lot of shops participating, but it seems limited to local shops even if they are spread out to quite some locations. The one I used once before has moved out of Japan, so can't help with that.
Most of all proxys are only about ordering stuff online. The one I used before was also less a professional proxy/forwarding shop but was rather a more one or two person running a little shop on the side.
(Does not need to be able to speak English, I could write them in Japanese, but needs to be able to accept foreign credit card, ebay or be willing to accept amazon.co.jp gift cards.)
this is who I use for proxy for items from Japan but I have no idea if they can get stuff from physical stores, you have to read their info

I’m keep seeing mention of expected Easter sales, so I’m guessing this is something that happens annually. Being my first year properly collecting Anime, I wanted to ask what do we typically expect from them? I’m guessing not quite as crazy as the 12 days of Christmas!

I’m keep seeing mention of expected Easter sales, so I’m guessing this is something that happens annually. Being my first year properly collecting Anime, I wanted to ask what do we typically expect from them? I’m guessing not quite as crazy as the 12 days of Christmas!
Last year MVM(Animeonline) had a 20% discount on everything. Hopefully it's the same this year? 😃

this is who I use for proxy for items from Japan but I have no idea if they can get stuff from physical stores, you have to read their info

Info doesn't say anything, but also contacted them and they don't. =<
About all professionally offered proxy services shops don't do that. (I guess to much workload on their staff with benefits that could very well have dried out already upon visit.) So was hoping somebody perhaps new some private seller or someone currently in Japan who might be willing to check the store.

Info doesn't say anything, but also contacted them and they don't. =<
About all professionally offered proxy services shops don't do that. (I guess to much workload on their staff with benefits that could very well have dried out already upon visit.) So was hoping somebody perhaps new some private seller or someone currently in Japan who might be willing to check the store.
Have you tried White Rabbit Express? Will be lots of $$$$ though

So I've been trying really hard to stay away from any spoilers for Attack on Titan season 4, and patiently waiting for all episodes to come out so I can binge it. So does anyone know when the last episode drops? And how many are there? I googled a bit but didn't help much since people were saying different things.

Any help would be appreciated 😃

Does anyone have some experience with how shop exclusive extras on Toranoana on preorders work?
There was an announcement, that a manga volume would have toranoana shop extras, the volume has just been listed, but zero trace of any mention of the extra. Also no mention, if toranoana online shop would participate. Instead hoever I found out that the previous volume of the series, which also has a shop exclusive extra, has that extra listed on it's own with 0 Yen in the online shop (and no mention on it that it's in need to be combined with the previous volume.)
Do they update their info on preorders only on release or what? (Release is early April.) Or how do their shop exclusives work at all?

So I've been trying really hard to stay away from any spoilers for Attack on Titan season 4, and patiently waiting for all episodes to come out so I can binge it. So does anyone know when the last episode drops? And how many are there? I googled a bit but didn't help much since people were saying different things.

Any help would be appreciated 😃
Doing the same :)
This season will be 16 episodes long and finish on the 29th on March.
From listening to manga readers it seems that despite this season been titled, "the final season" there is no chance that the story will be finished in the next few episodes, so expect a "final season - part 2" or possibly a movie.

Doing the same :)
This season will be 16 episodes long and finish on the 29th on March.
From listening to manga readers it seems that despite this season been titled, "the final season" there is no chance that the story will be finished in the next few episodes, so expect a "final season - part 2" or possibly a movie.
Cool, then I don't have to wait much longer 😃 I hope they continue it so they don't finish it before the manga like some other anime 😅😂

Does anyone have some experience with how shop exclusive extras on Toranoana on preorders work?
There was an announcement, that a manga volume would have toranoana shop extras, the volume has just been listed, but zero trace of any mention of the extra. Also no mention, if toranoana online shop would participate. Instead hoever I found out that the previous volume of the series, which also has a shop exclusive extra, has that extra listed on it's own with 0 Yen in the online shop (and no mention on it that it's in need to be combined with the previous volume.)
Do they update their info on preorders only on release or what? (Release is early April.) Or how do their shop exclusives work at all?

They're usually quite explicit about what's included with any optional store-exclusives further down the product page marked '特典' so if yours isn't mentioned anywhere it might be in-store only. Does it say on the publisher's extra announcement? From my buying experience in Japan in general there's usually exhaustive information posted in advance to avoid people having to ask questions. If it's high demand, the bonus might have sold out?

Sometimes if the preorder went out before the store exclusive stuff got announced it may be that they just haven't updated their listing yet.

R

Back