The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Can anyone recommend:

- Vision of Escaflowne
- Akame ga Kill!

The Vision of Escaflowne is one of the best anime I watched in a long time. Not only was the HD remaster so damn good, but the isekai setting is really cool and the soundtrack is memorable. It's also directed by Kazuki Akane who directed Noein which is a very under-rated anime series imo.

Akame ga Kill! is a pretty good series though it's pretty fast paced with the second half falling a bit on quality. The soundtrack is also good and it's a solid overall adaptation from White Fox (Steins;Gate, Re:ZERO) despite the non-canon content in the latter quarter.

Queen's Blade is a very fanservice show (aka tons of tits and ass), but it does have some nice battles (where some are resolved in a very weird way). I personally enjoy it but it isn't for everyone.

Question to the video compressionists etc. experts here.

The review is in French, but he's talking about that the French release is better than the US one.
While (I think) I understand the words he's talking I don't really get anything at all about what he's actually talking about there. The comparison images kind of just look.... the same to me?
Not sure if it may just be youtube, or my screen or my eyes...

Anybody with some knowledge on video quality mind clevering me up on it?

There's no point using Youtube for an image comparison given that it introduces compression anyway. The banding might be in the original image, or it might be a Youtube artefact.
I see, so it was Youtube then. I had it put up on HD 1080p, to see some difference, but still didn't see any. Well I guess add the box on some next French purchase, pull the Amaray out and stick it next to my English release.

So I'm thinking of buying from CDJapan and I've been seeing stuff about tagging it as a gift to avoid customs. Is that still likely to work?

I believe it does, but I personally stopped using CDJapan just because most of the stuff I'd want to order I find after tax has been taken away, and a generally lower price to begin with that amazon comes out on top even with vat/shipping.

So I'm thinking of buying from CDJapan and I've been seeing stuff about tagging it as a gift to avoid customs. Is that still likely to work?

Gift tag only changes the VAT threshold from £15 to £39, not really worth it considering customs might confiscate the package, better bet is to get a lower value written on the declaration (like 1,500yen) and marked as commercial.

I’ve probably asked this question before but does anybody know an ideal place to buy frames for the A3/A2 posters that Anime Limited have been releasing? They never seem to fit the frames I’ve looked at before.

I’ve probably asked this question before but does anybody know an ideal place to buy frames for the A3/A2 posters that Anime Limited have been releasing? They never seem to fit the frames I’ve looked at before.
I've always used the 'GB Eye' frames from Amazon for standard size posters. They seem to be a good mix of price/quality.

For weirder sizes I've used frames.co.uk, they've always turned out great.

Back