The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

this gave me a good laugh, PRODUCTION DECISION.
that's all, we won't tell you what the decision is.

SEASON 2 is the decision! Unlike Apothecary Diaries and Delicious in Dungeon (and many others) it didn't get a second season announced during or at the end of the first season.

Yeah, just an awkward translation from the Japanese to English. Gotta love it! Looking forward to more Production Decisions for other series, too!

Last edited:
New Space Battleship Yamato anime from Studio Khara. Anyone want to bet against this being called Shin Yamato?

I'm curious to see how they put a different spin on this. Yamato 2199 is already how I would imagine a pre-FLCL Gainax would have adapted the original, and I would be surprised if we get a Trigger-style goof-fest instead. Meanwhile the live-action movie already went the gritty modern SF route.

On the other hand, Godzilla already had countless interpretations before Shin Godzilla put Anno's distinctive stamp on it, so I guess there's always a new angle if you can find it.

There's an article in today's Financial Times about anime!

How Japanese anime took over the world by Leo Lewis.
I'd paste some copy, but they can be very litigious about that sort of thing.

"Kowloon Generic Romance" TV ANIME OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED! Air Date: 2025. Based on the Sci-Fi Mystery Romance by "After the Rain" creator Jun Mayuzuki set in Kowloon Walled City, a place where nostalgic past and dystopian future merge and the daily lives of the people living, working and loving in this special place. A Live-Action Movie Adaptation has been announced for 2025 too!Image © Shueisha, Jun Mayuzuki, "Kowloon Generic Romance" Anime Production Committee. (Thanks to Manga Mogura RE on X)
kowloon anime.jpg

Ridiculous escalation.
I see. Might have to look into it at some point.

Regarding my earlier post about One Piece on Points Of View, for those who didn't see it, the segment appears at the end of today's episode. The person in the Facebook that was referenced to is Tucky from Sunderland, one of the organisers of the Sunnycon anime convention in Newcastle (it used to be held in Sunderland, but there was nowhere big enough in Sunderland to host it, so now they hold it at Newcastle United football ground).

Toho making moves!

I'm curious to see what shape their long-term game plan takes. We've already seen Toho start to more directly take the reins of international distribution with Godzilla Minus One, and it looks like they're focusing on targeting animation more internationally too.

Clearly the focus seems to be on producing and distributing new content, but I hope this also opens the floodgates for the huge amount of Toho's existing catalogue that has never been available in English. Even popular directors like Ishiro Honda or Shusuke Kaneko have almost never had western releases for their non-SF/fantasy movies.

Back