The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The JPBD for Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island is releasing on June 3rd, 2022, the same day as the theatrical release in Japan, and it has English subtitles.
That's tempting, though I'm really not interested in that huge storyboard book that will jack up international shipping.

Since many things about this release are mirroring the way Hathaway was handled, the main question is whether this movie will show up on Netflix too.

Kind of surprised by this news, since GKids / AL have most of the Shinkai catalogue. Guess it's one part of having a monopoly on the market. While being distributed by CR does make it more likely to be shown at multiplexes, I do hope it can still show at SLA if possible, especially since it'll be close to the Japanese theatrical release.

Kind of surprised by this news, since GKids / AL have most of the Shinkai catalogue. Guess it's one part of having a monopoly on the market. While being distributed by CR does make it more likely to be shown at multiplexes, I do hope it can still show at SLA if possible, especially since it'll be close to the Japanese theatrical release.

My bigger concern personally is whether AL will still get home release rights as in will we still get a deluxe edition for this on a par with the ones for YN and WWY? I'm not expecting anyone to have an answer for this at this stage, just voicing my opinion.

New PV for Urusei Yatsura and confirmation that broadcast starts in October.

Doesn't give us a whole lot to go on, but what there is looks semi-promising. I'm not convinced by Ataru's new VA, but the new Lum sounds almost spookily like Hirano Fumi.

Interesting that they're giving Lum's hair something closer to its original manga look; that's going to be a lot of work to keep on-model though.

With the film around the corner, Japan has entered the next level - a VR game for Quintuplets. So far we have Itsuki but I expect each girl will get the treatment.

In Japan it'll be available on Meta Quest and Steam for 3,500 Yen.

gallery01.jpg

The Macross Frontier anime movies are coming to the US this June!

wonder if this is a good sign to get the movies (as well as the series) a physical western release.

Ye, I haven't seen it yet but I've heard so many good things about Macross Frontier :)

wonder if this is a good sign to get the movies (as well as the series) a physical western release.
Hopefully, but US distributors are dragging their butts if that's the case. When the decades-long legal battle over the international rights to Ultraman was finally resolved, Mill Creek announced they'd licensed the whole catalogue almost immediately and started firing box sets out the door within a few months. Of course, anime distributors do seem to like piddling about with these tiny cinema releases that delay blu-rays for a year or two for the sake of a single screening on a weekday on a screen the size of a postage stamp in a locked basement toilet with a sign on the door that says, "Beware of the leopard." Not that I'm bitter.

Hopefully, but US distributors are dragging their butts if that's the case. When the decades-long legal battle over the international rights to Ultraman was finally resolved, Mill Creek announced they'd licensed the whole catalogue almost immediately and started firing box sets out the door within a few months. Of course, anime distributors do seem to like piddling about with these tiny cinema releases that delay blu-rays for a year or two for the sake of a single screening on a weekday on a screen the size of a postage stamp in a locked basement toilet with a sign on the door that says, "Beware of the leopard." Not that I'm bitter.

I love The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy so so much :)

Back