The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yeah, ok, well I do like romance anime, just not with a lot of comedy, or the wrong kind of comedy - for instance, I do have Toradora in my collection. As long as it's not overly done with that panicky yelling type of comedy, I might still like it.

I really liked the story and characters in Kimi no Todoki, but it was so loaded with all that yelling and chibi (which I hate even more) I had to drop it after Volume 1. I was so disappointed they did that to such a good story. I thought I would really like His and Her Circumstance too, but I couldn't get past the second episode with all that yelling crap. One romance anime I do really like right now that's streaming is Horimiya, that one looks to be an instant buy for me. So yeah, it all depends on how much and what type of comedy is in a romcom series that will determine if it will turn me off or not.

Last edited:
Yeah, ok, I do like romance anime, just not with a lot of comedy - although I do have Toradora in my collection, for instance. As long as it's not all that panicky yelling type of comedy, I might still like it. Will have to give it a try. One romance anime I really like right now that's streaming is Horimiya, that one will be an instant buy for me.
Oooh yes, Horimiya is one I really want to watch but no funimation subscription yet, so it's going into my funimation-to watch at some point-list, which is becoming more and more difficult to resist with some recent output. Hmmm maybe you'll like Tonikawa then, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough heh.

Toradora is one of my all-time favourites, absolutely love it but yeah, I put that more in the romance drama category even though it has a lot of humour. It's what made me a fan of Okada's work.

Best Comedy: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Just watched the Trash Taste live reaction stream on VOD and was surprised when they got to this award as Kaguya-sama won.
I was surprised when I saw the post because whilst Eizouken had funny moments I wouldn't call it a comedy per se and Kaguya-sama is very popular.
Bumps my results up to 6/18!

The winners of the Crunchyroll Anime Awards have been announced.

While no single show was totally dominant this year, the show that was most successful was Jujutsu Kaisen, winning three awards including "Anime of the Year". The full list of winners are below. are:

• Anime of the Year: Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Best Character Design: Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun
  • Best Animation: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
  • Best Fight Scene: My Hero Academia - Deku vs. Overhaul
  • Best Couple: Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You - Nasa Yuzaki and Tsukasa Yuzaki
  • Best Voice Actor (Japanese): Yusuke Kobayashi as Natsuki Subaru in Re:ZERO
  • Best Voice Actor (English) Zero Robinson as Hawks in My Hero Academia
  • Best Girl: Kaguya Shinomiya in Kaguya-sama: Love Is War?
  • Best Boy: Shoyo Hinata in Haikyu!! To The Top
  • Best Director: Masaaki Yuas for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
  • Best Score: Kevin Penkin for Tower Of God
  • Best Opening: "Wild Side" by ALI for Beastars
  • Best Endings: "LOST IN PARADISE" by ALI feat. AKLO for Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Best Fantasy: Re:ZERO
  • Best Comedy: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
  • Best Drama: Fruits Basket
  • Best Protagonist: Catarina Claes in My Next Life as a Villainess
  • Best Antagonist: Ryomen Sukuna in Jujutsu Kaisen

3/18 of my favourites won:

Best Animation: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Best Director: Masaaki Yuasa for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Best Couple: Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You - Nasa Yuzaki and Tsukasa Yuzaki

And I mainly voted for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Caligula Effect back at it again with Round 2. Lord have mercy these characters design are top tier especially Idol "Regret" and the Male/Female Protagonist 😍🔥

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will be released in Japan on March 8th, just a day after Tokyo's state of emergency is lifted. Also, the film has been confirmed to be 155 mins long, slightly longer than what the Eirin listing stated.

Avoiding spoilers is going to be a challenge. Hopefully conditions in the West will be safe enough to allow for a potential late 2021 English subtitled / dubbed theatrical release. I'm betting on Gkids / AL potentially getting 3.0+1.0.

The Terminator franchise has basically turned into a choose your own adventure story, where they are constantly rebooting or ignoring previous movies to try to ape off the success of the first two popular ones. The story should have just ended with Terminator 2.

It's ironic that a franchise about an insane computer is stuck in a perpetual reboot loop.

I think a TV series is the only hope for Terminator to cover new ground. Almost every Terminator movie has the same opening act, leaving little time to distinguish itself after that. That's one of the reasons why Sarah Connor Chronicles is my favourite entry in the series after the first two movies. It had the breathing room to flesh out the world and characters in ways that the string of wannabe trilogy-starter movies didn't have time for. It's an often overlooked series that I highly recommend. I think some people dismiss it because it has the look of a generic US drama instead of the distinctive atmosphere of the James Cameron movies. Really, its only weakness is that it suffered the fate of so many SF shows and was cancelled, ending on the mother-of-all cliffhangers.

As for the new anime version, I'm concerned that the showrunner had only worked on short films until last year. He wrote The Batman, but we've yet to see how that turned out.

Back