The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

.... no

looks better than the first PV but into the realms of an ambitious early PS3 title
is it just me though, or does what we see from the plot here seem lazier than the average SAC, they usually save the post human metaphor/philosophy till near the end when they've confronted the true culprit, this just seems like they're gonna do it out of the box

that track though... I hate it... it's like Sonic 06 bad

834.jpg

"CG was a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki, or well, anyone who likes SAC

to be quite frank - it is kind of a nightmare as a fan. Especially when you think about the great music, themes, story etc. the original or SAC has. Especially the track "fly with me" which starts at 1:04 min. WTH? The question is how much was Netflix involved in this or did it have any effect on the project being released on their streaming platform.
I dont get it why they are going this way. It strongly reminds me of the new Lupin movie made in CG. Oh boy...

When it comes to CG anime, I love Studio Orange but that's about it im afraid, everything else just looks very cheap to me. I'll still watch if the story is good though.

Its strange how 90% of CG anime seem to end up on Netflix.

Yeah, I was more willing to give SAC 2045 a chance when it was early days. I still see no reason 3D animation cannot be done well, it absolutely can, but this is far from inspiring confidence. It looks to be suffering from a perennial problem when 3D animation doesn’t receive a bug enough budget which is that the sets look dull, empty and repetitive and the subsequent over-reliance (and over-animating) on the things that are animated and visually interesting.
It strongly reminds me of the new Lupin movie made in CG. Oh boy...
This, however, I have to disagree with as I think it’s looking great. The character designs have made the transition to 3D incredibly well, the sets look great and the character animation is miles ahead of what we’ve just seen in the 2045 trailer. It probably also helps that Lupin’s animation has always been exaggerated.

Yeah, I would welcome that. Much as I would prefer them not to, I'm not against them making it CG per se; if they could get it closer to the look of the previous SAC instalments, with both the character designs and the look of the world itself, it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Between the art design and music choices on display here, it feels like they're trying to push GitS into a kind of generic shonen-action series container, and I can't see that anyone really wants that.

Edit: At least, unless EX-ARM is a much bigger hit than I'd realised? None of it has been released in English, but from what I've seen of it, that does seem to be the Shonen Jump GitS-alike.

Last edited:
Ugh, just hearing the word 'shonen' is a big turnoff for me, I generally avoid most anime in that genre, especially battle shonen or the long-run shonen.

I'm not bothered by most CGI productions, but this anime and the new Lupin just remind me too much of Pixar CGI, and I hate that look with a passion. If not using the style of the previous SAC series, I'd much rather see it look like the more realistic CGI gaming cut scenes in the style of Space Captain Harlock or Appleseed Alpha or Final Fantasy movies than this cartoon-ish look.

The Guardian has ranked every Studio Ghibli film - rankings which seem questionable (Tales of Earthsea at No. 7?)

questionable
I almost stopped after reading the Porco Rosso blurb. "unfortunately sexist", it was written 30 years ago and set 100 years ago, I don't think it can be used as factor in putting it bottom.
And then Only Yesterday was 19th, pah!

Yeah, I would welcome that. Much as I would prefer them not to, I'm not against them making it CG per se; if they could get it closer to the look of the previous SAC instalments, with both the character designs and the look of the world itself, it would definitely be a step in the right direction.
If it wasn't a Stand Alone Complex, they could get away with it as the films, ARISE and SAC are all different takes from the manga which is different again.

That ranking really seems random, but I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Earthsea is in my top 10 or 12 as well, but a lot of my favorites are nearer the bottom of that list, and vice versa. The last Ghibli movie released is actually my favorite - When Marnie was There, and Totoro and Spirited Away are pretty far down the list towards the bottom for me. Everybody's list is going to be different.

I'm not bothered by most CGI productions, but this anime and the new Lupin just remind me too much of Pixar CGI, and I hate that look with a passion. I'd much rather see it look like more realistic CGI gaming cut scenes in the style of Space Captain Harlock or Appleseed or Final Fantasy movies than this more cartoon-ish look.
::cracks knuckles:: Animator training, activate!

You bring up a good point there GwG, but there’s a reason animation for games and film & TV are generally distinct. Games cut scenes are usually (or should be) created with the intent of blending with gameplay - If the character animation is too different from the characters’ in game animations (which are heavily constrained by the fact the player doesn’t have hundreds of buttons on their controller to say, control eyebrow movement or forehead creasing like the rigs an actual animator uses do) it breaks immersion. So character animation is usually kept fairly realistic and subtle (not necessarily in what the characters are doing, but in how they do it). There’s also the added difference that games as a medium are a way for players to experience and do things they couldn’t in real life, and animation is (currently and for the foreseeable future, presumably even The Matrix was nothing more than very advanced, very realistic animation) the only way we have of achieving this. Games have to use animation, there is no live action alternative.

Traditional animation was turned into an entertainment medium to overcome a similar but distinct issue with the constraints of reality, in that it allowed animators to create fantasies in which things like animals and inanimate objects could talk and act and the laws of physics didn’t need to apply. If you could draw it, it could be so. One of the principles of traditional animation is exaggeration. If you try to animate (3D or traditionally) realistically in a linear narrative like film or TV, it looks dull and unexpressive. Live actors are putting all sorts of subtleties into their performances with their fully bone-rigged human bodies which make them interesting to watch even when doing mundane things, but you can’t do that in animation unless you want a one-way trip to the uncanny valley (and why would you when live action exists?) When you simplify characters, you have to exaggerate.

Whatever you think of Pixar’s films (personally I‘ve gotten quite bored of them since I find the plots uninspiring) they are very well regarded as animators for good reason - They didn’t forget the principles of traditional animation and they use them very well in the new medium. This new Lupin film appears to be doing the same, and I applaud that.

Our tutors in 3D animation did a good job of drilling the principles of traditional animation into our brains, but I can’t help but wonder if some 3D animators working today ever learned them at all. It’s far less necessary when animating for games, but it’s vital for creating good animation for film and TV.

I'd love an adaption of the rest of the manga if they had input from Kubo on how he planned to end the series before he was rushed. Too good to be true though.

Back