The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So the stuff I've been into for years is either gay fanservice, for 6 year olds or Pokemon go, with no mention how praised something like Berserk is with a story that's been developing for more than 30 years, well done guardian, you're a credit to journalism

Just because something is Boys Love doesn't automatically make it fan service or trashy. If anyone is being overly broad with the stereotypes, it's you.

So the stuff I've been into for years is either gay fanservice, for 6 year olds or Pokemon go, with no mention how praised something like Berserk is with a story that's been developing for more than 30 years, well done guardian, you're a credit to journalism
I see where you’re coming from (on Berserk’s exclusion anyway) but looking at this as a Journalism student it’s possible that the writer may have mentioned more adult Sienen manga but in editing was told to change their references to examples that a wider more general audience would understand.

Writers often find themselves having to make changes or having their work changed by editors to suit the target audience or the quotas of an employer (I’ve been having this recently with articles that I’ve written.)

Of course it is also possible that the writer just didn’t know much about anime and chose those examples for the aforementioned reasons. That’s just how I look at a situation like this anyways. I doubt The Guardian would suddenly put out articles akin to AUKN, even if writers wanted to.

well, to summarise my thoughts on the guardian article a little better, BL is a bit of a joke even in japan, it's written by women for women type of thing, I'm gonna sturgeon's law it too in that it has the same problem as anything else, 90% if it is a bit rubbish, unfortunately I'm not into BL at all so I can't say what the 10% that's good actually is, but it's half the article, they only mention dragonball is for 6 year olds when Z made life for many people like myself and I was 12, and well I know pokemon go is a pretty popular thing, but pokemon peeves me off with the fact that I grew out of it but it's all people where I'm from know, and they aren't into pokemon, it's just ignorance, not the thing itself, it is more of a personal peeve though.
I totally agree with @HWR though but it seems like a mix of editors stepping in and a general lack of knowledge, not just either one of the two
also, the guardian is toilet paper

This is why I tried to link what I thought would be a fairly non-partisan paper, at least as far as manga is concerned. Screw you FT paywall, this is all your fault.

And wait, there are people over the age of seven who enjoy DBZ?

This is why I tried to link what I thought would be a fairly non-partisan paper, at least as far as manga is concerned. Screw you FT paywall, this is all your fault.

And wait, there are people over the age of seven who enjoy DBZ?
I love dragon ball -.- don't listen to Msm they don't know anything lol

Ironically there’s likely not a lot of younger viewers under 7 that would even know about the Dragon Ball series in the first place (unless their parents loved it I suppose.)

well my problem with the guardian was that they made it sound like it was a huge attraction to it, FT is shorter but sweeter, and I have no problem with curators mentioning it, as long as there's some knowledge on how it's really treated, the thing is BL doesn't have that much of a broad audience to make it look like the biggest thing

Um, they say that DB is beloved by children, not that it's exclusively beloved by children. My other half is very much not a pre-teen and currently marathoning it. It's fine to like what you like.

And BL is a colossal industry in Japan right now. Nobody's saying that everyone has to like it, but an exhibition on stuff that ordinary people might not have heard of makes for a more interesting news article than one about a mainstream action title that anyone in the UK can buy from Amazon in their native language already - and I say this as a Berserk fan. Berserk is a fantastic series, but pointing out that gritty fantasy comics/shows aimed at 20-something guys exist hasn't been newsworthy since well before I was born. The UK's already got that covered.

R

I love how people immediately go and blame Crunchyroll, despite this probably being the most clear case of CR not being at fault. Low move from AoA though, kinda wish Wakanim would expand to the Netherlands already since no Aniplex titles are simulcasting here after Daisuki died.

Here's the thing; how late is this shown? What do the networks do with the original broadcast?
Yea yea starting to sound like I'm advocating for censorship but at the end of the day it's how platforms want to show something, now and then that's different versions of the same thing. Shimoneta had a broadcast version and a late version, I don't know if monmusume did but crunchy very much has the broadcast version

Back