The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Seven Seas are having a 'Happy New Year License Event!' from Monday 9th Jan to Friday 13th Jan. As they announce a new license everyday of the week. So far they have announced:

Absolute Duo by Shinichirou Nariie
Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea by Mogeko
Hatsune Miku Presents: Hachune Miku’s Everyday Vocaloid Paradise by Ontama
The Later Daily Life of the Magic Girl by Ryuichi Yokoyama and Manmaru Kamitsuki
Magical Girl Special Ops Asuka by Makoto Fukami and Seigo Tokiya
Alice & Zouroku by Tetsuya Imai
The Secret Garden
by Shiina Yuu
Anne of Green Gables
by Maki Minami
Devilman G
by Go Nagai and Rui Takatou
The Count of Monte Cristo
by Moriyama Ena
Captain Harlock: Dimensional Voyage
by Leiji Matsumoto and Kouichi Shimahoshi

I have just received an email from United Publications that they are going to put up their prices for US imports due to the exchange rates.

I have just received an email from United Publications that they are going to put up their prices for US imports due to the exchange rates.

Same and those changes seem to already be on the UK site. Interestingly they seem to have at the same time increased their discounts on the US site, a few items I bought on the UK site just a week ago are now cheaper in dollars than what I paid in pounds prior to the increase. (at the time paying in pounds was a definite saving over dollars)

The 1975 live-action adaptation of Kazumasa Hirai's Adult Wolf Guy manga, starring Sonny Chiba, will be given it's home video premiere by Arrow in March

Ooo I'll have to buy wolf guy. March is turning into an expensive month for me due to the lone wolf & cub box set being released by criterion & 88 films releasing Killer Constable.

An announcement is being teased for Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. Opinion is split between those who think there will be a second series of the anime or that the manga is about to end.

Announcement Teased For "Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches"

Could be either as the manga seems to be heading into a final arc.

Wouldn't mind a second season, hopefully the pacing isn't as high as the first season. It got disjointed and very rushed in places due to adapting a good 2 years of manga into 12 episodes.

Lone Wolf and Cub is coming to Blu-ray here in the UK this March as part of the Criterion Collection. It will contain all six films; Sword Of Vengeance, Baby Cart At The River STYX, Baby Cart To Hades, Baby Cart In Peril, Baby Cart In The Land Of Demons, White Heaven In Hell. SRP is around £59.99. These films are based on the manga of the same name, which is currently available under Dark Horse.

91mfSs8w6vL._SL1500_.jpg

Content includes:
  • New 2K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition presentation of Shogun Assassin, the 1980 English-dubbed re-edit of the first two Lone Wolf and Cub films
  • New interview with Kazuo Koike, writer of the Lone Wolf and Cub manga series and screenwriter on five of the films
  • Lame d'un Pere, l'ame d'un sabre, a 2005 documentary about the making of the series
  • New interview in which Sensei Yoshimitsu Katsuse discusses and demonstrates the real Suio-ryu sword techniques that inspired those in the manga and films
  • New interview with biographer Kazuma Nozawa about filmmaker Kenji Misumi, director of four of the six Lone Wolf and Cub films
  • Silent documentary from 1937 about the making of samurai swords, with an optional new ambient score by Ryan Francis
  • Trailers
  • New English subtitle translations
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay and film synopses by Japanese pop culture writer Patrick Macias

I managed to snag the usa release for £40 from Amazon.com when it was up for preorder last year. Lovely set with a nice hidden and unmentioned bonus that i won't spoil :)

If that's his 'big get' I'll be dissapointed. Ajin is a pretty good show, but probably not one I'd buy.
I quite liked it. When you get past people saying 'oh no, another s#it CGI show' and watch it the visuals do get ropey but the story makes up for it.

Edit: Thinking about it more I can't see Jerome being silly enough to licence another CGI Netflix show purely because of the social backlash of people saying you can release this but not Sidonia 2!?!? Fool me once my friend but not again!!!!!!!!

I quite liked it. When you get past people saying 'oh no, another s#it CGI show' and watch it the visuals do get ropey but the story makes up for it.

As I say, I did like it, although the CGI visuals were a strike against it. My biggest issue with it was probably that Kei was a bit of a dick at times, and the fact that he's miles away from the actual plot for half the series makes him feel a bit pointless at times. Still though, an enjoyable series nonetheless. I still need to watch that second series on Netflix.

Flim4 posted on Facebook that The Wind Rises & The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya will be on next week, in the late slots on Monday 23rd + Thursday 26th in Japanese.

Back