The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Found this on the Fandom Post posted by regular AUKN member Shiroi Hane, seems like something that should take some notice:
Shiroi Hane said:
A little something from the guy who runs the UK Anime site and the MVM social media accounts:
Originally Posted by Ross: said:
I can categorically tell you that DVD outsells BD for MVM by a ratio of 10-1 (with 1 or 2 very rare exceptions). I don't know about the wider market, but when we had a competition for Toradora through the site, almost nobody asked for the BD version.

I prefer anime on BD. MVM likes to put out BD and support the market, but only a few months ago I was fending off some rabid BD fanatic who told us we didn't "deserve" to sell anime and should let someone else take the licenses. MVM could cut BD altogether and it wouldn't hurt them one bit financially. I really don't think Tony gets the credit he deserves for constantly taking a gamble on the UK market with BD releases.

UPDATE - Original source found: UK Anime Network forum topic on the whole Ben-To, Good Luck Girl! and Fairy Tail Collection DVD only confirmation

It's interesting that Andrew is saying BD outsells DVD and MVM's experience is consisently the opposite. It's also interesting that they cited Fate/Zero as a title which had done better on BD (in the other topic) since that got a lot of positive buzz about its special edition. I really think it's true that the market is splitting into two distinct groups here: wealthier collectors, who prefer BD and deluxe sets and don't mind paying extra for them, and more casual fans who prefer to pick up lots of cheaper DVDs and don't care if they're shipped out in plain brown paper bags.

Also, that 'fan' who said those things is a complete jerk. It's not as though MVM not being around would magically make the market here larger; all it would mean is there would be fewer releases and fewer happy fans. Tony said they try to pick up BD rights when they negotiate contracts nowadays so it's not as though they're against the format, just the difficulty in making their costs back in this difficult market.

(Is our MVM triangle here Ross as well? It's all very confusing in the UK anime industry :D)

R

That is interesting! I thought I was one of very few still buying DVD, which I had been judging by here. I was one of those people who was in the competition for Toradora and asked for DVD. Not that I won though haha!

I love MVM. They tend to have the most titles I'm interested in, have great competitions, always answer very honestly and kindly and just really need more credit.

Rui said:
I really think it's true that the market is splitting into two distinct groups here: collectors, who prefer BD and deluxe sets, and more casual fans who prefer to pick up lots of cheaper DVDs and don't care if they're shipped out in plain brown paper bags.

Maybe to some extent. However, I buy DVD yet I still like a deluxe edition and buy them when they are available in that way. Examples being HAL and Fate/Zero. I could be one of very few, I'm not sure.

I have to admit I am surprised by DVD's persistence, especially in a fanbase that prizes visual quality so much - I can only presume it's people who have yet to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player (which, to be fair, I only did last year when my PS3 broke) and also people who can't afford the Blu-Rays so get the DVDs because they're cheaper.

black1blade said:
A lot of series don't really need a blu ray version though.

I disagree. I like watching my anime in Japanese with subtitles and even with an upscale release on bluray the subtitles are at least native HD so they're a lot cleaner than their dvd counterpart.
Some dvd subtitle jobs can really do my eyes in after a few episodes!

I guess, but it's more important the most new series get a blu ray. Knk is going to be interesting to watch in dvd, lets see if the subtitles effect my experience.

With me, the most important thing when deciding if a series needs a blu-ray release is if it was animated in high definition to begin with, or has a good HD remaster. For example, when I bought FUNimation's Shakugan no Shana II release, I watched the DVDs because they looked better than the awful blu-ray job.

I find high definition to be of a far greater benefit to animation than live-action though. I found myself blown away just by watching the Evangelion 2.22 DVD upscaled on my BD player, but I find that unless a live-action work is CGI heavy, I don't really find myself wowed by HD as much.

Joshawott said:
With me, the most important thing when deciding if a series needs a blu-ray release is if it was animated in high definition to begin with, or has a good HD remaster. For example, when I bought FUNimation's Shakugan no Shana II release, I watched the DVDs because they looked better than the awful blu-ray job.

I find high definition to be of a far greater benefit to animation than live-action though. I found myself blown away just by watching the Evangelion 2.22 DVD upscaled on my BD player, but I find that unless a live-action work is CGI heavy, I don't really find myself wowed by HD as much.
Also if was put on film. Two of the best looking bluray sets I've seen are Gatchaman and Zeta Gundam, both of which look phenominal in HD.

Lutga said:
I have to admit I am surprised by DVD's persistence, especially in a fanbase that prizes visual quality so much - I can only presume it's people who have yet to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player (which, to be fair, I only did last year when my PS3 broke) and also people who can't afford the Blu-Rays so get the DVDs because they're cheaper.

Wait, you upgraded to a blu-ray player when your PS3 broke? You do realize your PS3 was a blu-ray player, right?

Cactus said:
Lutga said:

Wait, you upgraded to a blu-ray player when your PS3 broke? You do realize your PS3 was a blu-ray player, right?

Yes - that's why I grabbed a Blu-Ray player then, because I couldn't play Blu-Rays on the PS3 any more. But even when I did just have the PS3, I only occasionally bought Blu-Rays - there's was just a sense in my mind like 'Oh, I've always bought DVDs, why stop now? And they're cheaper...' - I'd occasionally buy Blu-Rays, and over time came to realise how much better the quality was, especially when I upgraded to a better television.

Originally, I'd only been watching Blu-Rays on a 21 inch screen, and they sure don't look as nice as on a 40 inch one (where DVDs start to really show their faults)

The resolution of the screen is quite important. I thought DVDs were terrible when I first started watching them because I was using my laptop, then I switched to a non-HD TV and they were suddenly fine :D

BDs look so nice on my computer monitor compared to DVDs.

R

Could have been because my first TV - as well as being small - was an early HD TV, back when they still had the LCD style screens instead of the harder clear plastic screens. (probably not the best way to describe it technically, but it's what it seemed like to me)

Lutga said:
Could have been because my first TV - as well as being small - was an early HD TV, back when they still had the LCD style screens instead of the harder clear plastic screens. (probably not the best way to describe it technically, but it's what it seemed like to me)
Probably not, most lcd/led tvs are very poor at upscaling SD content so that they can display it. A lot of people don't like Plasma tvs, but because of how they work tend to handle SD content a lot better.

Back