The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

If I remember correctly, FUNimation's broadcast dub of One Piece kept all of FUNi's name changes for consistency.

NormanicGrav said:
I also like the other girls as well before anyone argues
TOO LATE. THE WAIFU WAR IS ON!

2922q0k.gif

(In all seriousness though, I'd read it. Can Shonen Jump simul-pub it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
TOO LATE. THE WAIFU WAR IS ON!

2922q0k.gif
Nisekoi_Onodera_3.jpg

Kurz Weber said:
Just found this on Amazon.com, Funimation's One Piece Collection Box 2 and seen this on the artwork they have turned to 4Kids and put 'Zolo' on the artwork instead of Zoro.

While it's hilarious, thankfully that's not the final artwork as Box 1 has this to offer:

81h_Hb_C8_Ql_YL_SL1500.jpg

That black cover for One Piece looks nice, is it the first four volumes packaged into one?

Lutga said:
Dannielle said:
Nisekoi to get Magical Girl spinoff Manga with best girl Onodera as the main character : http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...gets-magical-girl-spinoff-manga-series/.81500

I have to admit I've never understood the obsession over Onodera - it's always been Yui or Chitoge for me.

Get out.

No srsly, I like all the girls but Onodera <3 The fact that she gets a spin off & Gorilla doesn't might make my disappointment a bit less painful when Gorilla ultimately wins.

Whenever "Nisekoi" & "Best Girl" get bought up, it just derails everything. I would say I'm sorry but at least I now know where peoples loyalties lay in this war ;)

When will someone pick up this show for the UK? It's not in KAZE hell is it?

Hanabee have picked up Red Data Girl and it looks like they were able to release a Blu-ray version, sounds like Funimation might be able to release theirs soon perhaps?

HB0159_RED-DATA-GIRL_3D_BR_FLAT_CTC_large.jpg

They also licensed Blood Lad and Problem Children, both on Blu-ray and DVD.

Lawrence said:
I never really understood the appeal of Nisekoi. It seemed like a subpar romcom with a bland best friend and a hyper aggressive girl as contenders for the MC's heart. The latter of which irks me because it seems to be played off as a joke which subverts gender norms that exist only in Japanese society but no necessarily to the same degree in the western world. It's also why male characters who can cook are treated as abnormalities, because men don't or aren't expected to know how to cook. You know, like Ryuji in Toradora.

I kind of think part of its appeal is that it is so utterly formulaic/cliche - but within those parameters, does a slicker, more efficient job than a lot of other, similar shows out there. At it's heart, it's just good, clean fun - executed well. Also, the character designs are very well done in my opinion and there are some genuinely moving moments too. It does a good job at telling self-contained stories within single chapters in the manga, too.

The problem being we've seen the autor do AAA work with Double Arts so every new chapter of "MOBSTERS DO F**KING NOTHING WHILST THE WORLDS MOST BORING VERSION OF URISEI YATSURA DOESN'T HAPPEN" is a reminder that the good's talents are being wasted.

NormanicGrav said:
Hanabee have picked up Red Data Girl and it looks like they were able to release a Blu-ray version, sounds like Funimation might be able to release theirs soon perhaps?

HB0159_RED-DATA-GIRL_3D_BR_FLAT_CTC_large.jpg

Heard good things about Problem Children, hope that MVM look into sub-licensing that (Blu rayyy) or whatever they call it .. that's if it being on Animax doesn't hinder a physical license.

Viz have announced Bleach & Naruto just like One Piece will both be getting a manga box set 2. Also the 1st box sets of both series will be getting reprints in January 2015.

The Bleach Manga Box Set 2 will cost $215 USD and include volumes 22-48, as well as an exclusive mini-comic containing the series' pilot story as well as a double-sided poster.

The Naruto Manga Box Set 2, meanwhile, will cost $175 USD. Featuring volumes 28-48, it also comes with a pilot story mini-comic and double-sided poster.

The two boxsets are scheduled for release in July 2015.

I started my Bleach collection with the first box. I have brought the others individually now, mind you, but the idea that you could get to the end of the Arrancar arc in two purchases is good news for people who haven't started yet.

Kyoukai no Kanata [Beyond the Boundary] news have been revealed with regards to the movie.

Gekijō-ban Kyōkai no Kanata -I'll Be Here- (Beyond the Boundary the Movie: I'll Be Here), will have two parts. Kako-hen (The Past) will open on March 14, and Mirai-hen (The Future) will open on April 25. Kako-hen will recount the events of the television series, centering on the heroine Mirai Kuriyama. Mirai-hen will be a brand-new work, set one year after the television series. A teaser trailer has also been released.

Sentai Filmworks have the rights to the TV series for North America with an upcoming Collector's Edition similar to H.O.T.D. & Chunibyo.

---

Aniplex of America sets for Durarara!! and Rurouni Kenshin: The Movie are now closing out on RightStuf. Both of them have been around much longer than the 2013 titles they've released. Once they're gone, Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari will be next in line for being the longest surviving set for Blu-ray owners.

Rolling Girls PV 2. Done by the studio who gave us HAL & Attack On Titan.

Looks interesting enough for me. Animation wise it's giving me Kill La Kill vibes here & there. Will definitely check out the first episode.

EDIT: Just a thought, seeing as we have MVM & MangaUK discussion/Q&A threads, what do you all (& Andrew if you see this) think of making an Anime Limited one? =]

Mega-post time due to the lack of time due to some college tasks. So essentially it's another post collecting multiple comments of mine into one post.

NormanicGrav said:
Dub fans, prepare for some disappointment but then again this is Sentai after all.
I need a girlfriend to hug me when these announcements get made ...
I need some extra cash and luck as well. And more time for my project, AUKN and socializing on Twitter and Skype. And *everybody stops listening as the lists continues*

Nota bene: seriously, November has been a really bad month for me bar one thing I may post in another thread about.

NormanicGrav said:
Sentai Filmworks March 2015 line up:
Devils and Realist [Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist] - Complete Series - Japanese [Sub-Only] - 17 March 2015
Familiar of Zero: Knight of the Twin Moons [Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi] - Season 2 - Japanese [Sub-Only] - 10 March 2015
Gingitsune: Messenger Fox of the Gods - Complete Series - Japanese [Sub-Only] - Release Date: 10 March 2015
Outbreak Company - Complete Series - English & Japanese - Release Date: 03 March 2015
Place to Place [Acchi Kocchi] - Complete Series - Japanese [Sub-Only] - Release Date: 24 March 2015 - Blu-ray release
Student Council Discretion [Seitokai no Ichizon] - Season 1 - Japanese [Sub-Only] - Release Date: 24 March 2015
The World God Only Knows: Goddesses - Season 3 - English & Japanese - Release Date: 03 March 2015

Note all are getting Blu-ray & DVD releases. Place to Place is a re-release for the Blu-ray format.

You can view the artwork for these new titles here via Overseas Cover Art thread
While all this broke to me some time ago my sentiment about some of these has not changed.

◄ Familiar of Zero: The major disappointment of the year is for me clearly this baby. I have no clue what I'll do with this franchise now. I have been looking forward to watching this anime ever since I got into anime and I have been hoping the rest would get dubbed ever since I got into anime. So this joins a list of disappointing announcements from Sentai Filmworks alongside Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Henneko, NouCome and some others. *sigh*
Somebody suggested Sentai put it out sub-only as they've held the license to season 4 for 2 years and they've not gotten any cash back from that license yet, so they probably want to shove out season 2, 3 and 4 asap now and may come back to dub it in a year or two. I hope this will be the case. The thing I know is that Familiar of Zero won't be on my list for a while now.

◄ Student Council Discretion: It's pretty much like Familiar of Zero to me, but not as bad. I may watch that subbed in 2016. I'm giving Sentai time to dub it, that's why I say 2016.

◄ Outbreak Company: At least there's some good news, isn't there?

◄ World God Only Knows (s3): Well... It's getting dubbed, but due to the DVD-only UK release I'll have to figure out some stuff. Also, I hope Sentai get the OVAs out sometime in the future as well, apparently they're important I hear.

◄ Place to Place: Hmmm... I may actually want to buy that and watch it subbed. Will wait due to the grace period policy I founded.

VoxPhantom said:
No Game No Life will receive a blu-ray release by MVM.

Facebook post.
Good, I guess. Now let's hope Sentai dubs it. (*ducks for the tomatoes thrown by Mangaranga*)

NormanicGrav said:
If TRSI/Nozomi get into dubbing I hope they dub this title.

Joshawott said:
Lutga said:
Joshawott said:
With the complete collection of series' that didn't do so well as half-season sets...isn't that the point of a boxset? To basically shift what remaining discs there are?
So they strip the discs out of the remaining stock of singles, chuck the cases and put the discs in the new boxes?

I know the discs usually are identical because it means they don't need to apply to the BBFC again, but always assumed it was just a new print run, not actually the same physical discs?
I'm not actually sure, as I don't think anyone has ever commented as such. If they are all new print-runs though, I imagine the aim is still the same though - use the lower price point of the series to increase profit margins (or with some shows, reduce the money lost).
Most anime only get one print run, one miss-assumption often made is that all discs printed are 'used' in the first release.
Either only a part gets printed at first or they only use a certain amount* of discs from the first print run to avoid cluttering the storage (and avoid having to pay more for using more space).

*500 or 1000 in most cases as far as I'm aware.

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation had some news to show off lately:

- English dub cast for Free! Eternal Summer will be revealed soon.
- Home video rights confirmed for Ping Pong the Animation; English dub and Blu-ray/DVD also announced in addition to Summer 2015 release date
- Home video rights confirmed for Tokyo Ravens; English dub and Blu-ray/DVD also announced in addition to March 17 2015 release date for Part 1 (Summer 2015 for Part 2)
- Home video rights confirmed for Puchimas! -Petit Idolm@ster-; Japanese language with English subtitles and DVD only in addition to 2015 release date for Season 1 (Season 2 sometime after)
◄ Free: Not interested in it.
◄ Ping Pong the Animation: Just as with Flowers of Evil, I don't like the animation style at all.
◄ Tokyo Ravens: Definitely interested in this one.
◄ Puchimas!: I wanted to say I was slightly interested, despite the sub-only, but a DVD-only makes all my interest go away.

Joshawott said:
FUNimation have unveiled "FUNimation Broadcast Dubs". Basically, an initiative to get English dubs out faster, which is vaguely similar to what they did with Space Dandy.

Subscribers to FUNimation in America will be able to watch English dubs of certain series' only a few weeks after the episodes have aired in Japan. The first two shows that will be a part of this initiative are Laughing Under The Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2. The former will have its first episode released on 1st November, while the latter's will be released on 8th November, which will be followed by weekly releases.

Due to the time difference, the Broadcast Dubs will use the TV broadcast versions of episodes, but the eventual home video releases will use the Japanese home video materials.

Source.
I hope this project does well for Funimation.

NormanicGrav said:
Clannad Kickstarter has been achieved in just a day - $145,000 have been donated to them with all $1000 spaces taken.

First update is a possible inclusion of the HD assets from the PS3 version.
I really don't like how they said "Additionally, we will not be recording an English dub.". I think that's pretty retarded of them. It's no way to attract people who watched Clannad (anime) dubbed.
Regardless, I'm happy it succeeded already. Not sure whether I'll buy the game or back the KickStarter via the Paypal option.

NormanicGrav said:

It would definitely be sad if "RDG" didn't get an UK release with the slogan "Even Reading knows about it.". xP #RDG

Dannielle said:
Not sure if its been posted but Madman have picked up Love Live School Idol Project for streaming & home video : https://www.facebook.com/madmanent
And now there's a slight hope for an UK release. Let's hope it gets a Blu-ray release as well.

Dannielle said:
EDIT: Just a thought, seeing as we have MVM & MangaUK discussion/Q&A threads, what do you all (& Andrew if you see this) think of making an Anime Limited one? =]
I do approve of the idea, but the "General Anime Discussion" zone feels like an utter mess, extremely cluttered and unorganised to me at this moment in time. I really wish Rui or Arbalest could perhaps split that zone into 2 zones.
Perhaps split off everything about anime releases or distributors to a separate zone.
I have been meaning to make a post with suggestions in the feedback zone but never can find time to do it. (Might have to make time for it though. I hate to be a nuisance though.)

Back