The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Assuming it was posted in the wrong thread so:
kuuderes_shadow said:
New american distributor, along with 2 titles from the upcoming season: http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/anime-news ... or-ponycan

Though personally I'm more interested in this part: "PONYCAN also has future plans to launch new anime for worldwide streaming on a regular basis."

TLDR; Pony Canyon has set up a US arm which will start releasing titles physcially in 2015 on BD and DVD "promising the same high standard of quality as the Japanese editions. "
So it's another AniplexUSA - in that it's a japanese company setting up a US arm with JP Quality releases. I'm perfectly fine with that.
Makes sense considering they have released quite a few high profile titles on home video in Japan like K-On, Free! and Attack on Titan.
Maybe this is who Andrew was referring to regarding the rights to Free! when he said "someone who can't really use them is sitting on them I believe."

As long as the quality of the set is as good as Aniplex (like on-disc wise given they said "promising the same high standard of quality as the Japanese editions") then I'm up for it. Also hoping it won't be released too quickly and highly priced like what Aniplex is doing with their recent titles (Nisekoi for instance).

I'm not fussed about an English dub so if it's subtitle only then it's also fine by me.

UPDATE

Had a look at what Pony Canyon was involved with, and there's quite a lot of titles so I'll list a few examples (I assume the titles under 'Production' are Pony Canyon titles given Denki-gai no Honya-san and Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru are):
- Air (TV)
- Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (TV)
- Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club (TV)
- Kanon 2006 (TV)
- Squid Girl (TV)

Pony Canyon's official US Website

Very interesting. If that's what's happened to Free! then I look forward to hearing their plans.

And I like the name :D

R

Rui said:
It feels as though far fewer JP sets come with English subtitles these days, though, so perhaps the backstabbing of the local companies has had some effect :(
A lot of sets with subtitles were BD re-releases of older shows though surely? Now everything is coming out on BD on day one, there's less scope for that.

NormanicGrav said:
Also hoping it won't be released too quickly and highly priced like what Aniplex is doing with their recent titles (Nisekoi for instance).
If they plan to charge Aniplex prices then they'd better have series as marketable as Aniplex have. Otherwise they'll follow Bandai Visual USA into oblivion.

Also, PonyCan lol. They will forever be known to me as TurdToilet.

Go for all of the G's

King of Braves: GaoGaiGar

G Gundam

Gundam Wing is always a good seller to the Pokémon Generation and, not going to lie, one of those legacy boxsets would be pretty neat for it.

Maybe a foraé into Japanese Live Action with Game Center CX?

NormanicGrav said:
Aniplex Special Announcement for September was the Kill la Kill OVA at NY Comic Con... LOL

Q&A at around 45 mins in:
- Gurren Lagann domestic release "Keep in mind we're trying to provide the best quality release" "It is a domestic release and not an import"
OK, that's one plan. But here's one that Aniplex should actually do; Take a long walk off a short pier.

That sort of talk is dipping dangerously into "We know what anime fan wants" territory.

Shiroi Hane said:
Rui said:
It feels as though far fewer JP sets come with English subtitles these days, though, so perhaps the backstabbing of the local companies has had some effect :(
A lot of sets with subtitles were BD re-releases of older shows though surely? Now everything is coming out on BD on day one, there's less scope for that.

I mean singles, sorry; sets which reuse materials from the existing western releases are in a different category really, but since JP singles come with so many goodies I think of them as sets even though they might only contain a couple of episodes. It feels as though there were more brand new titles coming out on Japanese home video with English subtitles a few seasons ago than there are now. For a while I was hopeful it was going to catch on.

It could just be a coincidence - there's not exactly a huge sample set to work with - but whatever the reason it's a shame. I hope the industry proves me wrong in the next few seasons as I like having the extra choice without losing the ability to watch with friends >_<

R

In a bizarre turn of events, looks like the Marvel Anime Boxset will include Iron Man, Wolverine, X-men and NOT Blade, but instead Avengers Confidential...

Why!? This seems like a flagrantly stupid move, was Blade that much of a failure?

I guess it just sucked
74iSLar.gif

Funimation unveiled the extras for Cowboy Bebop:
DVD Extras (160 minutes):
Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered - a brand new 95-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop as they give you the behind-the-scenes stories about recording this seminal series.
Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)
Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins
Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno
"Tank!" Full-Size Music Clip
"Tank!" Club Remix Music Clip -UK Version-
Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)
Original Opening and Closing Songs
Textless Opening and Closing Songs
Ein's Summer Vacation
Cowboy Bebop Session #0
U.S. Trailer

Blu-ray Extras (227 minutes):
All of the DVD extras, plus
Dinner Aboard the Bebop, a brand new 68-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop reunited for dinner, drinks, and a very special script reading!

By comparison, here are the UK version extras:
Audio commentaries on Episodes 1, 5, 10, 17 and 24
Japanese commercials for Cowboy Bebop
Music video for Tank!, the theme tune
Tank! Remix by DJ Food video
Ein s Summer Holiday short
Clean end credit sequence

Highlighted are content available in the US version and not in the pre-Definitive UK version (I assume).

So then, for the planned Definitive version all we have to do is take everything Funimation has to offer (+ correct any issues that could occur such as missing subtitle lines), add the movie and put them in a nice massive Ultimate Edition style set.

For the sake of £26 I might just pick up the standard US edition Bluray of Bebop. Outside of the extras I'm interested to see whether Funi inverse telecine the video to 1080/24p, seeing as they never did confirm what they were going to do with it.
It could be completely wrong, but I remember reading that the upscaled CG and Ending (which is made up of still images) were the only parts that were animated at 30fps, so it doesn't need to be 1080/30i - compared to something like Stand Alone Complex - which has lots of CG (e.g. the whole of the first opening) and encoding in 24p results in very noticable stutter/judder.

I'm going to wait and see how the Funimation release turns out as usual. If Andrew's plan for the Definitive Edition succeeds and manages to get a hold of the 1080p version then I'll get his set.

Why do you all default to thinking 'can' means 'toilet' before any of the word's other meanings? Some people ;P

On that note, it's annoying that AoA continue to release Silver Spoon DVD-only. I think I'll resist buying SAO Extra Edition as it was painful to watch.

R

Rui said:
Why do you all default to thinking 'can' means 'toilet' before any of the word's other meanings? Some people ;P
Because Rail Wars is by Passione, not Pony Canyon.

On that note, it's annoying that AoA continue to release Silver Spoon DVD-only. I think I'll resist buying SAO Extra Edition as it was painful to watch.

R
Tell me about it. I love Silver Spoon and want to own it on blu-ray but to be honest though, I can't justify importing a DVD in 2015.

Back