The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

BBFC Updates:
- Toradora gains a 12 overall.
[01-07] 12 ~ moderate language, sex references
[08-09] PG ~ mild bad language, sex references
[10-14] 12 ~ moderate bad language, mild sex references
[15-18] 12 ~ moderate bad language, mild sex references
[19-21] 12 ~ moderate language, sex references
[22-26] 12 ~ moderate bad language

- Ikki Tousen Xtreme Xecutor's Shugaku Toshi Keppu-Roku gains a 15.
[OVA] 15 ~ sexualised nudity, strong gore

- Second season of Dragon Ball gains a 12 overall.
[29-36] 12 ~ moderate fantasy violence, sex references
[37-45] 12 ~ moderate sex references
[46-51] 12 ~ moderate sex references
[52-57] PG ~ mild fantasy violence

I hate to be stupid but is there a audio comparison that I can listen to with the English dub (DD 2.0 vs LPCM 2.0)? Just wondering.

Manga confirm... eventually after a bit of debate, that Attack on Titan is being released with the extras stripped off the Blu-ray, pressed onto a DVD for a Collector's Edition release...

Manga's Twitter

So they're authoring the Attack on Titan Blu-rays and DVDs themselves... So much for chapter breaks.
Anyone know what Attack on Titan is like for on screen text and caption translations?

I'd wait to see if Australia are doing a Sword Art Online and sharing the masters with Manga, letting the UK company do the heavy lifting on this one. It might be the same deal down under...

Or are you Region A-able?

I'm Region A enabled thankfully :)

Having said that, the specs I'm reading for the aussie BD release on DevotedDVD claim to have the extras on them. But we all know that specs on retailers' websites can be dubious.

My plan was to wait for Part 2 to come out and order both at the same time. That would be enough time to see if the Australian release mirrors Funi's or MangaUK's. If the Aussie release does have the extras, it'll just be a case of picking whichever one will be the cheapest at the time. Should end up around the same price as the UK release anyway.

Ath said:
I'm Region A enabled thankfully :)

Having said that, the specs I'm reading for the aussie BD release claim to have the extras on them. My plan was to wait for Part 2 to come out and order both at the same time. That would be enough time to see if the Australian release mirrors Funi's or MangaUK's. If the Aussie release does have the extras, it'll just be a case of picking whichever one will be the cheapest at the time.

The current Funimation horror story of scratched and skipping discs (there might even be som encode errors too, given what I've read about pixellation during playback) in their Limited Edition release would make me wary of the US version as well.

Just Passing Through said:
I'd wait to see if Australia are doing a Sword Art Online and sharing the masters with Manga, letting the UK company do the heavy lifting on this one. It might be the same deal down under..

Hope not. I have ordered the Australian collectors edition.

According to this image I have the making of and the chibi theatre are Blu-ray only and there's no mention of an extras DVD.

AoTMadman.jpg

The current Funimation horror story of scratched and skipping discs (there might even be som encode errors too, given what I've read about pixellation during playback) in their Limited Edition release would make me wary of the US version as well.

I have the Limited Edition from UP1USA and it arrived perfectly fine with no digibook damage, no scratches or skips whatsoever (the DVD discs did fell out though but no damage). I think the whole horror is probably related to Rightstuf or Funimation's Shopping site. Heck people who order from UP1 could ask if there's damage, for instance I asked them regarding the Psycho Pass PE issue (scratches on artbox and other horrors) and they checked it, responded nicely that it's perfectly fine (though the tilt artbox issue was there which doesn't bother me when you have other shows stacked on the shelf that can fix the issue) and even got it early since the recall was applied just as their stock arrived.

tl;dr Mine was in excellent condition from UP1USA, could ask them if there's damage (if they have stock available).

Manga confirm... eventually after a bit of debate, that Attack on Titan is being released with the extras stripped off the Blu-ray, pressed onto a DVD for a Collector's Edition release...

Manga's Twitter

So they're authoring the Attack on Titan Blu-rays and DVDs themselves... So much for chapter breaks.
Anyone know what Attack on Titan is like for on screen text and caption translations?

Seriously, I'll be shocked if Manga UK was responsible for making the US discs go A|1 (probably didn't).

Watched all 13 episodes (dubbed) and the Picture Drama shorts (only in Japanese and also in 1080p) on Blu-ray and it's mostly perfect (there's no errors and has chapter breaks). Two odd things I noticed; the opening and ending lyrics are just in English instead of rotating between English and Japanese. And the ad-break screenshots between each episode aren't captioned, presumably because there's so much text to translate the discs have limited restrictions. If the US was able to do it and Manga put it into PAL they're going to have a bad time.

Manga's Twitter

Manga! You thought my money was going to you but instead it is going to THEM, CURNCHYROLL!

So much confusion with Attack on Titan. Though this is a title I believe Manga should have avoided messing up on.

Need to look over all the DVD releases across the 3 at some point.

reborn said:
So much confusion with Attack on Titan. Though this is a title I believe Manga should have avoided messing up on.
Shame the law of mathematics demands that the more essential it is for Manga to not screw up the more they will screw up.

The rest of Xtreme Xecutor has been rated uncut with all extras intact.
[01-07] - 18 ~ strong sexualised violence, nudity
[08-12] - 18 ~ strong sexualised nudity

Some notes/comparisons on Hanabee/MVM's BD of Accel World:

>1 BD50 + 1 BD25 in this release vs 2 BD50s (Viz)
+A Signs/Songs track is present for the English dub which was not included in Viz's release, however the labelling is wrong. (Both audio tracks are labelled as English, whilst the subtitles as Other)
-Subtitles are locked ONLY if you choose PLAY ALL. Selecting episodes from the episode sub menu results in unlocked Playback.
>Video has been re-encoded to reduce the bitrate. Haven't watched enough to really comment on whether it makes much of a difference so far, but Viz's release looked flawless as a result of being encoded @ ~30mbps.
>Has English OP/ED credits and the dodgy Title Card Edit from Viz's encode.
>Despite the back of the package showing the DTS HD MA logo, the audio is 16bit LPCM @ 1536kbps for both tracks, down from the 24bit LPCM @2304kbps tracks on Viz's release.
-Also inherits an issue from Viz's release which I personally found slightly annoying - which was some of the subtitles being slightly mistimed.
>Extras are Clean OP/ED and SD Trailers for GuPAN, Familiar of Zero (Sub), Campione and Medaka Box.
-Lacks the Character Arc Gallery from Viz's release.

It gets a pass from me so far. The only disappointment is the lack of the cool menu/background video/music from Viz's release.

Not final but here's what has been solicated for September from Funimation based on trailers, Amazon and other stuff:

September 2nd:
Baka & Test: Summon the Beasts - Complete Season 2 (S.A.V.E.) - TBA Format
HAL - Film - TBA Format

September 16th:
Fairy Tail - Part 12 - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
Dragon Ball Z - Complete Season 7 - Blu-ray

September 23rd:
Attack on Titan - Part 2 - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
Attack on Titan - Part 2 (Limited Edition) - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
Attack on Titan - Part 2 (Collector's Edition [Funimation Shop Exclusive]) - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack

September 30th:
One Piece: Film Z - Film - TBA Format
One Piece - Season 6 Voyage 1 - DVD
Steins;Gate - Complete Collection - TBA Format

Also, Funimation is ridiculously lazy:
In case anyone else got the Heaven's Lost Property Season 1 Anime Classics, I'm going to relay this information, having just spoken with the FUNimation Help admin. The solution is to either get a blank blu-ray case with no insert sleeve, or to get a DVD sized cardboard slipcover. There will be no blu-ray sized insert sleeve printed nor will there be a dvd sized insert sleeve with the Anime Classics logo. I don't like this but I can live with this, as long as Season 2 Anime Classics will match the size of Season 1 Anime Classics. If it doesn't, I'm not buying it.

Back