The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'm still yet to watch the series but that is a shame to hear, I know a lot of people adored the show.
It’s such a great show, I need to get round to buying it soon. My daughter likes it too, although pretty sure the subtext is lost on her at this point. Hopefully she’ll be happy to rewatch it as she grows older and pick up on it on her own 🥰

I was on the HMV website today.
Checking the prices for some upcoming releases I'm wanting.
They've got Uzaki-chan listed for an exclusive early release.
20/5/24.

I’ve not seen this mentioned or maybe I blinked. Anyway, Kimba will be a part of it and also a film about making anime.

I’ve not seen this mentioned or maybe I blinked. Anyway, Kimba will be a part of it and also a film about making anime.
Ooh interesting, thank you for sharing this! I'll definitely watch some of these. Looking forward to it.

Side note: I assume that YMS's mighty debunking of the "Disney stole Kimba for The Lion King" myth has been shared before on this forum? I think I've watched it about three times now, it's fantastic.

Any Times subscribers here?

Thanks for sharing for those interested but I find it hard to care about a mainstream paper's opinions on this kinda stuff anymore myself... plus I like Howl's Moving Castle sure (and film version Howl is just chef's kiss level prettyful and will always be one of my favourite ikemen bishie boys :p ), I really appreciate that the protagonist is an old woman as well, buuut it's got some problems narratively IMO (I've read the book as well and probably prefer it). My picks would prob be:

Only Yesterday
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbour Totoro
Toss up between Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky :)

Honorable mention to Ronja the Robber's Daughter which I adored and think is rather underappreciated (yes it's a series not a film but Ghibli did co-produce it and honestly for me it's the best thing they've done in the last... 10-15 years?)

(Not trying to be rude btw! Just sharing my opinion but a bit worried I might sound sneering or dismissive which I really don't mean to) :)

Thanks for sharing for those interested but I find it hard to care about a mainstream paper's opinions on this kinda stuff anymore myself... plus I like Howl's Moving Castle sure (and film version Howl is just chef's kiss level prettyful and will always be one of my favourite ikemen bishie boys :p ), I really appreciate that the protagonist is an old woman as well, buuut it's got some problems narratively IMO (I've read the book as well and probably prefer it). My picks would prob be:

Only Yesterday
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbour Totoro
Toss up between Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky :)

Honorable mention to Ronja the Robber's Daughter which I adored and think is rather underappreciated (yes it's a series not a film but Ghibli did co-produce it and honestly for me it's the best thing they've done in the last... 10-15 years?)

(Not trying to be rude btw! Just sharing my opinion but a bit worried I might sound sneering or dismissive which I really don't mean to) :)
I have to admit I'm not really interested in what they chose either - at least I wouldn't be if it wasn't for the fact the Times is behind a paywall, and I don't want to pay to see what they chose, but if someone else here is a subscriber I'm more than happy for them to tell me what was picked.

I have to admit I'm not really interested in what they chose either - at least I wouldn't be if it wasn't for the fact the Times is behind a paywall, and I don't want to pay to see what they chose, but if someone else here is a subscriber I'm more than happy for them to tell me what was picked.

Ah! Understood! :D I'm afraid I'm not a subscriber either or I'd happily tell you :)

Speaking of underwhelming lists:

Pretty much a lazy compilation of a few well-known directors' filmographies in seemingly random order, padded out with some weirdly random selections. What the hell are merely okay movies like Promare, Weathering With You and Miss Hokusai doing on there? Where are Liz and the Blue Bird, Adolescence of Utena, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, Patlabor 2 etc, etc?

Pretty much a lazy compilation of a few well-known directors' filmographies in seemingly random order, padded out with some weirdly random selections. What the hell are merely okay movies like Promare, Weathering With You and Miss Hokusai doing on there? Where are Liz and the Blue Bird, Adolescence of Utena, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, Patlabor 2 etc, etc?

I would pick Weathering With You over Liz and the Blue Bird, but that's just me (I like both but I love Weathering With You.) That said, I otherwise agree with your choices :)

merely okay
Promare
them's fightin words

They missed the subtitle… that you can buy on the high street (if they existed still).

I see this as a list of the greatest anime films for non anime fans to wet their feet with. Like here are some directors with. Lot of content, so if you like these then you have more work to discover from them etc.

I removed the paywall, it's pretty much the expected movies.

Spirited Away
The Boy and the Heron
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Nausicaã of the Valley of the Wind

I think they forgot that there is more than one director at the studio

I would pick Weathering With You over Liz and the Blue Bird, but that's just me (I like both but I love Weathering With You.) That said, I otherwise agree with your choices :)

I'd second what @RadFemHedonist said earlier about non-anime specific media sources for getting my anime info. I also adored Weathering With You but even then, for me Liz and the Blue Bird is in a category of it's own and one I feel that everyone should watch, those who don't watch animes, and heck those who don't watch movies or television even.

Back