The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Anyone watching Pokemon Horizons might be interested that there is a collaboration with Pokemon Go coming up next month. A new announcement as part of Pokemon Day has revealed some new Pokemon to capture during the game, including Captain Pikachu.

Details of the cast for the London stage adaptation of Spirited Away.

The perils of independent companies selling out to big corporations for quick cash infusions…

Remember Rooster Teeth, the studio behind shows like Red vs. Blue, RWBY, and Gen:Lock among others? They were briefly distributed in the UK by Manga/Animatsu. RT went for the quick cash and expanded beyond their means. The pass the parcel among their various owners wound up at Warners.
Like all the big studios, Warners have their own problems, and yesterday Warners just shut down Rooster Teeth, leaving all those ongoing projects in limbo. Warners have also put up all the RT IPs in a fire sale.

I suppose if you want more RWBY now, your only hope is that recent anime spin-off Ice Queendom gets a second series.

It's a shame RWBY most likely will never get finished. I had a Love/Hate relationship with the series, due to the direction it was taking; I even dropped it for a couple years, then went back to it since it seemd to get better. At least I was able to collect all nine volumes of the JP Limited Edition box sets for the series, they are really stunning to see in person - the artwork, the quality of the packaging, the presentation of the internals, and soundtrack CDs for the first four volumes, all are impeccable.
9rwbyjple.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this but Akira Toriyama has sadly passed away...

Wow, I'm not actually sure how to react to this news. I've never actually been moved by a public figure's death until now, but Dragon Ball and Toriyama's work has been a huge part of my life since I was a child and has brought me and millions of others so much joy.

68 is no age at all. RIP.

Heartbreaking, much like the poster above Dragon Ball has been a big part of my life (admittedly in my case since I was a teenager, but that's still a long time ago...) Given he was only in his late 60s I assumed he'd be around for many years to come, still penning weird and wonderful storylines and creating amazing art.

RIP.

I'm so very sad to see this as, echoing @Cold Cobra, @Lucky_Deity and @BrokenPhoenix, I'd hoped Akira Toriyama would be around for a while to come. Dragon Ball was my first wholly Japanese anime series (in France) in the last century and I diligently collected the French manga editions (it was a little while before VIZ brought them out in English). What an amazing, inventive and hugely influential mangaka; a great loss.

Though I didn't really grow up with Dragon Ball outside of a few of the games I got into the series not long after I got into anime (around 2013) and it quickly became a favourite of mine and is my all time favourite anime / manga series. DB and his other works have meant a lot to me these past ten or so years and have been an inspiration to what I want to do creatively. Think this may be the first time a passing like this has hit me.

Dragon Ball Daima is really going to hit different now and is somewhat poetic that the series is going back to its roots with this likely being Toriyama's last work on the series. I can't wait to see what he has cooked up with it.

This goes for his other upcoming and related works as well such as the DBS manga, DB Sparking Zero, Sand Land and Dragon Quest, they will be truly even more special now.

R.I.P. Akira Toriyama 🐉

Oh wow, can't wait - I loved this series, and Nazuna is such a cutie! I've already picked up the Sentai Blu-ray, but this is one series I wish AL could do a Collector's Edition for.

Back