The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The BBFC is probably going to cover that especially with the extensions to the law.

If these industries can push for self regulation it could be avoided. And would that affect streaming broadcasts? I don't think streaming platforms would be happy with that, and I don't know if the BBFC is equipped to manage the extra workload online video would bring them, at least in a timely fashion.

One of the advantages Internet video has brought the industry is the speed and frequency of releases that has help reduce the motivation for piracy and the like. Plus the number of programmes that have taken advantage of the lack of TV/video regulators.

The entertainment industry doesn't like having its freedoms rolled back and it seems especially futile when people are more and more aware of these things now. When you ban or forbid things, it only increases curiosity.

Eight anime films have been put forward for consideration for the Best Animated Feature Oscar: "Liz and the Blue Bird", "Fireworks", "Lu Over the Wall", "Night is Short, Walk on Girl", "The Laws of the Universe: Part 1", "Maquia - When the Promised Flower Blooms", "Mirai", and the Japanese-French film "Mutafukaz" / "MFKZ". 25 films have been submitted in total.

8 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

And yet again, something like the Incredibles or Hotel Transylvania will win. Nothing to even get hopeful about, so why bother. The Animation category especially is a big joke. :rolleyes:

Well, if an anime film doesn't get it, I'd like it to go to Early Man just out of a sense of British pride. Deep down however, we all know that an anime isn't going to win, and let's be honest if one gets nominated that would be a sense of achievement.

Honestly, this year has a lot of tough competition and I agree that I doubt an anime film will make the cut. My heart would love Maquia to get a nod, but my head knows that if Your Name didn't in a notably weaker year, nothing stands a chance until Miyazaki's return (if he actually completes the film, that is...)

Incredibles,Isle of Dogs or Ralph (if it reviews well) will win imo.
I don’t think Maquia will get a nomination as it’s a melodramatic film and critics don’t adore it like they did Your Name

I do really doubt Japanese really care about it as Toho probably would have done more for Your Name.
Considering also most the controversy surrounding Boss Baby came from western fans.

Last edited:
Isle of Dogs is probably my least favourite of Wes Anderson's films since The Darjeeling Express (perhaps not coincidentally his last attempt to take his style to a foreign land) but I would still love to see him win.

When 'The Boss Baby' can make it over 'A Silent Voice' and 'Your Name' in the same year, zero chance unless there been radical changes in the academy. It would require their members to actually farw about the category and go watch smaller animated releases.

This is why I hear some believe the whole award should be scrapped if they aren't going to take it seriously or worth their time.

I think the Academy may ignore Ralph Breaks the Internet for reasons similar to The LEGO Movie, but Incredibles 2 could be the likely Disney pick. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is shaping up to look really nice too; hopefully the substance matches the style.

Personally, I'd like to a Best Foreign Animated Feature Film category.

There actually have been radical changes in Academy membership, but whether or not it will have much effect on the animation category remains to be seen. This is the first year since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that a foreign language film is one of the favourites to win Best Picture though.

I'd expect 'Incredibles 2' to win as Pixar and Disney tend to win even when they don't really deserve it, like with 'Brave'. Not that I'm saying Incredibles doesn't necessarily deserve it this year.

I'd expect 'Incredibles 2' to win as Pixar and Disney tend to win even when they don't really deserve it, like with 'Brave'. Not that I'm saying Incredibles doesn't necessarily deserve it this year.
There is a reason a lot of people call it the Pixar award. If it isn't a Pixar movie it is an uphill struggle to get anywhere near that award.

Didn't help that when Your Name was submitted for the 2016 Oscars it was still in Japanese cinemas and the licensor refused to allow the distribution of screeners to the voters.

There is a reason a lot of people call it the Pixar award. If it isn't a Pixar movie it is an uphill struggle to get anywhere near that award.

Didn't help that when Your Name was submitted for the 2016 Oscars it was still in Japanese cinemas and the licensor refused to allow the distribution of screeners to the voters.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding foreign films with different release windows for the US. One rule is that it must play in an L.A. County theatre for seven consecutive days. I believe the subbed version of 'S Silent Voice' did meet those requirements.

It is a tricky thing having the members judge a foreign language film against English ones. They cannot judge the acting as intricately as they would in English. And they won't judge a dub's acting either for obvious reasons even if it is perfectly representative.

Back