The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Alas, Princess Kaguya is my least favourite Studio Ghibli film
I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but definitely not my least favourite (which is Yamadas, which while it uses the same technique, didn't fit it as well as a folk tale like Kaguya).

Mother is also a fan of Studio Ghibli, and she has yet to try Princess Kaguya at all, so I bought her a ticket to go and watch it. Problem solved.
Good idea. :)

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is coming to Picturehouse Cinemas (Picturehouses - Film information for The Tale of The Princess Kaguya) as part of their Enchanted Screen season (The Enchanted Screen: What's On - Picturehouse Spotlight) which includes amongst other films Labyrinth, Edward Scissorhands and Pans Labyrinth.
One of those films is not like the others. I absolutely adore Pan's Labyrinth (it's my favourite film of all time), but I fear its inclusion in a line-up of mostly family films is highly misleading. I'd hate for anybody to be misled and not enjoy it as a result.

One of those films is not like the others. I absolutely adore Pan's Labyrinth (it's my favourite film of all time), but I fear its inclusion in a line-up of mostly family films is highly misleading. I'd hate for anybody to be misled and not enjoy it as a result.
Agreed it's a great film, had to study it as part of my Film Studies A Level. Strange it's included since it's really dark, even with all the expressionist and whimsical elements, since they juxtapose with such grim subject matters such as the Spanish Civil War and the ending.

Funnily enough I had to study Edward Scissorhands as well. It's making me nostalgic just thinking about it.

They have included another 15 and an 18 film. Pan's Labyrinth is on at 8:30 at my local Picture House so I doubt many kids will be going to see it.
The films I put in my short list are the ones I have seen, they all have darker moments and yes Pan's Labyrinth is much darker than than the others, but they all fit in with the theme of the season.

Funnily enough I had to study Edward Scissorhands as well. It's making me nostalgic just thinking about it.
I remember going to see it at a preview event as part of a film festival held in my city back in 1990! :eek:

They have included another 15 and an 18 film. Pan's Labyrinth is on at 8:30 at my local Picture House so I doubt many kids will be going to see it.
The films I put in my short list are the ones I have seen, they all have darker moments and yes Pan's Labyrinth is much darker than than the others, but they all fit in with the theme of the season.

I remember going to see it at a preview event as part of a film festival held in my city back in 1990! :eek:
That's awesome. They're both films I'd like to see on the big screen, but after watching them so many times back in 2015/2016 out of necessity, I won't need to revisit them for a while (same with schindler's list, another A2 Film case study)

I've been lucky with my shifts, so I'm going to see Pan's Labyrinth, which I missed when new. But I did also see Labyrinth when it first came to the cinema in 1986!! :eek::eek:

Given we have a fair few fellow Overlord fans here! Teaser for the second season:

I'm guessing the dragon looking creatures are featured in Book 6, hyped for that release in January :D (EDIT: Welp, just read that's not Vol 6, it's content from a drama CD and intermission stuff or something..heh.).Hoping to spot Brain in the next PV. I was shocked at how much Brain development they cut in the first season even though he's a rather important character in one of the arcs their adapting here, they may not have planned a second season when the first came out but still ..

Last edited:
Alas, Princess Kaguya is my least favourite Studio Ghibli film
I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but definitely not my least favourite
Whoops. Here's where I get to be awkward again. :rolleyes:

Kaguya actually is one of my very favourite Ghibli films. I love the art style, and it has the saddest happy music you will probably ever hear — you know, at that bit.
You know, the bit where Kaguya gets spirited away. :(

My least favourite would have to be either Mononoke or Laputa. Or maybe Marnie.

For the record, my outright Ghibli favourite is The Wind Rises.

Whoops. Here's where I get to be awkward again. :rolleyes:

Kaguya actually is one of my very favourite Ghibli films. I love the art style, and it has the saddest happy music you will probably ever hear — you know, at that bit.
You know, the bit where Kaguya gets spirited away. :(

My least favourite would have to be either Mononoke or Laputa. Or maybe Marnie.

For the record, my outright Ghibli favourite is The Wind Rises.

Yes, VERY awkward Mononoke is my favourite it has all the elements I like spiritual, historical period, action and a small sprinkle of romance. The Wind Rises is probably my least favourite Miyazaki, but I've only seen it the once.
I'm going to have to take @Girls wIth Guns challenge in another thread and rank all the Ghibli films plus Nausicaa probably when I have my week off in couple of weeks time.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose ;)

Check disc report...

Manga's Paprika is a visual upgrade... no more windowboxing, and an audio upgrade if you like the dub, from lossy on the original release to DTS-HD MA on the Manga disc. The Japanese track goes from PCM 5.1 to DTS-HD MA as well. The extras lose the commentary and the storyboard comparisons, but keep the four featurettes.

Ronja the Robber's daughter is dub only.

Mark Kermodes review of Fireworks. Might be considered a bit spoilery if you only have a vague idea of what it's about and want to keep it that way, wish I hadn't watched now:

Check disc report...

Manga's Paprika is a visual upgrade... no more windowboxing, and an audio upgrade if you like the dub, from lossy on the original release to DTS-HD MA on the Manga disc. The Japanese track goes from PCM 5.1 to DTS-HD MA as well. The extras lose the commentary and the storyboard comparisons, but keep the four featurettes.

Ronja the Robber's daughter is dub only.

Thanks, been waiting to hear if there were any differences... have you got details on the new aspect ratio to hand?

Going to watch Kaguya for sure, I might just consider that film to be the very pinnacle of the medium.

In full agreement here, it's certainly one of the handful of films I'd say are contenders for being the greatest animated film ever made. Would love to see it on the big screen again, though can't justify a train journey.

That season has some other fantastic films you should run to see - Pan's Labyrinth in particular.

Given we have a fair few fellow Overlord fans here! Teaser for the second season:

I'm guessing the dragon looking creatures are featured in Book 6, hyped for that release in January :D (EDIT: Welp, just read that's not Vol 6, it's content from a drama CD and intermission stuff or something..heh.).Hoping to spot Brain in the next PV. I was shocked at how much Brain development they cut in the first season even though he's a rather important character in one of the arcs their adapting here, they may not have planned a second season when the first came out but still ..
I'll have to watch it later. I thought s1 had a strong start but didn't change anything in the latter half. One thing I really liked about the series is the OP/ED not every series around the same time did those so well

The original Ghost in the Shell film will be on Viceland on 9th December at 22.00, and again at the same time on 15th December.

It also looks like Gurren Lagann will debut at 8th January at 24.00, or 9th January at 00.00, whichever you prefer.

Back