The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Some discussion is being had online about a Tweet from the Your name. Production Committee, asking people not to pirate.

(Google translation of this tweet)

It's disappointing that they feel the need to send a tweet like this, but at the same time and I know people will criticise me for this, I kind of feel like maybe some of their past decisions are partly-responsible. It's first international non-festival release, according to IMDB, is still a month from now (Taiwan: 21st October), and it's first non-festival English-language release is still a month after that (UK: 18th November). Also, it had it's premiere at Anime Expo, but there's still no US date. So they hyped a movie that people can't legally see elsewhere and won't be able to for months.

That said, AL has done a great job with the theatrical run for the UK, and hopefully they'll be able to do home video quickly or sort out a VOD run for those of us that don't have anything nearby.

I just want to stress how little I comment on this kind of stuff. That said this is a film that really needs the big screen - much like many pirate Ghibli or Disney then go see it on the big screen still, this is a film precisely like that. I'd say right now you're just doing a disservice to yourself there to watch current rips online though.

To be clear there are five English language screenings in the UK alone in October:

London Film Festival x 3
Scotland Loves Anime - Edinburgh x 2 (we added an extra day, yet to show up on the Wednesday or Tuesday after SLA)

We also have to do a lot to prepare and make a film work (in a nutshell it's broken down as below):
  • Negotiate the deal (and pay, 100% up front often, which is A LOT)
  • Prepare DCPs for press
  • Dub the film (this takes 2 months minimum so we are really running, I am coordinating this with friends at NYAV Post by-the-by)
  • Press and publicity (that doesn't come cheaply or quickly given approvals as you'd guess).
We will make VOD available as soon as possible, but we have holdbacks against Japan so I am working the best I can. Homevideo I have some pretty awesome things planned and am already negotiating that, release is dependent on when the Japanese one is so watch this space.

In the process of adding 18-20 more sites for Your Name too so we're trying our best to cover as many places as we can here too :). Watch this space!

Best,

AP

Hadn't seen this posted?

Was browsing around on Amazon & found some Final Fantasy releases:

Final Fantasy Vii: Advent Children / Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within / Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV -[Blu-ray] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fant...-24&keywords=Sony+Pictures+Home+Entertainment

Final Fantasy Vii: Advent Children / Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within / Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [DVD] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fant...-25&keywords=Sony+Pictures+Home+Entertainment

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV Blu-Ray Steelbook [With an extended cut of the Brotherhood Anime series] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsglaive-Fantasy-Steelbook-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B01H1U3VD4/ref=oosr

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [Standard Blu-Ray] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...4_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4Q2VS8JGQ34BEW9B0JXK

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [Standard DVD] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsglaiv...F8&qid=1475180766&sr=1-3&keywords=Kingsglaive

Hadn't seen this posted?

Was browsing around on Amazon & found some Final Fantasy releases:

Final Fantasy Vii: Advent Children / Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within / Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV -[Blu-ray] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fant...-24&keywords=Sony+Pictures+Home+Entertainment

Final Fantasy Vii: Advent Children / Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within / Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [DVD] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fant...-25&keywords=Sony+Pictures+Home+Entertainment

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV Blu-Ray Steelbook [With an extended cut of the Brotherhood Anime series] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsglaive-Fantasy-Steelbook-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B01H1U3VD4/ref=oosr

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [Standard Blu-Ray] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...4_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4Q2VS8JGQ34BEW9B0JXK

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV [Standard DVD] - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsglaiv...F8&qid=1475180766&sr=1-3&keywords=Kingsglaive

Kingslaive probably doesn't qualify as anime. Aside from Square Enix and Stage 6 Films, nobody involved is Japanese.

Hah, I saw that too. I'm almost tempted to pick it up to see how much of a difference there is between the normal blu-ray...
I can't personally imagine there'd be a massive difference resolution wise. Whilst it's certainly done at a much higher resolution that other recent Gundam, I'd hesitate to even say Thunderbolt was animated at native 1080p let alone anything above that. It lacks the sharpness of other 1080p productions from the likes of Kyoani/A1/JC Staff. Colour wise you may see a difference but I can't speak personally as I have no experience with HDR.

Considering it's taken until the last year or so for some animation studios to actually start producing anime at 1920 x 1080, I can't imagine seeing many 4k BDs anytime soon.

This definitely smells like a rather cynical money spinner to me... Of all the various parts of anime fandom, surely Gundam fans have to be some of the most hardcore when it comes to visual fidelity?

As others have said, this seems like a weird candidate for 4K treatment too - while the show does look good, it's not exactly the most impressive either, and a lot of the colours are quite flat when compared to the likes of Kyo Ani or Ufotable stuff that really go all out with shading/digital effects etc.

I don't see the confusion, some of the first HD DVD and Blu-rays were unsuitable content and random too, hell even today a decent chunk of anime released on BD is unsuitable for the format and look worse than their DVD counterparts due to the fixed resolution of a lot of digital shows, not unlike how everything was 3D for a brief period of time. New formats gonna new format, or rather gimmicks gonna gimmick.

This definitely smells like a rather cynical money spinner to me... Of all the various parts of anime fandom, surely Gundam fans have to be some of the most hardcore when it comes to visual fidelity?

As others have said, this seems like a weird candidate for 4K treatment too - while the show does look good, it's not exactly the most impressive either, and a lot of the colours are quite flat when compared to the likes of Kyo Ani or Ufotable stuff that really go all out with shading/digital effects etc.
Personally I find gundam thunderbolt more visually appealing than most ufo and kyo ani shows. Well I generally find more block colours rather than gradiation more visually pleasing.

Of all the various parts of anime fandom, surely Gundam fans have to be some of the most hardcore when it comes to visual fidelity?
Sadly, there is a notable difference between fidelity and accuracy.

gundam-quality-3.jpg

Just spotted this:

Kingslaive probably doesn't qualify as anime. Aside from Square Enix and Stage 6 Films, nobody involved is Japanese.

The film's Wikipedia entry would paint a slightly different picture. There's Western talent on board, but this feels pretty much like a Japanese originated project. Japanese writer, director and producer. Heck, Takeshi Nozue co-directed Advent Children, and we consider that anime, right?

Not that I'm trying to get on anyone's case here. Had a couple of enquiries about the possibility of running a review of it on Youtube, so I've been looking into it. I make it a policy not to cover stuff like Korra and RWBY, but I'm leaning more in favour of actually doing this one.

I'm pretty sure Kingsglaive counts - isn't it the same team that did Advent Children and Spirits Within.

Heck, even the CG Harlock movie counts as 'anime' apparently.

The film's Wikipedia entry would paint a slightly different picture. There's Western talent on board, but this feels pretty much like a Japanese originated project. Japanese writer, director and producer. Heck, Takeshi Nozue co-directed Advent Children, and we consider that anime, right?

Not that I'm trying to get on anyone's case here. Had a couple of enquiries about the possibility of running a review of it on Youtube, so I've been looking into it. I make it a policy not to cover stuff like Korra and RWBY, but I'm leaning more in favour of actually doing this one.

I just meant that at the time I thought neither of the production companies involved was Japanese, rather than the staff. Digipic are Hungarian and Image Engine are Canadian. However, I missed Visual Works who were also involved, and are a division of Square Enix, so technically Japanese. With the inclusion of a Japanese animation company, I would consider it anime, without I wouldn't (though that's not really a hard and fast rule). So that was a stupid mistake on my part.

I am curious about the Chinese-Japanese stuff that's starting to appear on Crunchyroll though, as to whether most people would consider that anime or not. Shame there's not much information about it from a business/production perspective.

Last edited:
I'm not really enough of a stickler to argue this, and I'm not sure you can have a hard and fast rule as to what is and isn't anime anyway, what with lots of Toei's stuff now done in the Philippines and Chinese companies getting more heavily involved. If people wish for it to be considered anime then fair enough, I won't argue any further. (I'm not sure why I even argued in the first place.)

I wouldn't say you were arguing anyway, Buzz. It's just that this whole notion of where a production originates / what nationality the talent working on it are and whether we can call it anime as a result is kind of interesting to consider. Especially when you consider how much of the anime we're all watching is now produced with help from overseas (especially Korean animators.) Are we noticing anything that dilutes the product for the involvement of non-Japanese? Most of the time, I don't think so. But some might disagree.

AnimeFreak was actually encouraging me to feature RWBY on my channel a while back, which is what set me off thnking about this whole subject. And, full disclosure, I didn't even know Kingsglaive existed until somebody asked me if I'd be reviewing it!

I think the definition most people go for is that as long as the majority of key staff are Japanese it counts. Most anime have had input from Korea/China for inbetweens for years (hence the names that always crop up in end credits).

But yeah, it's been interesting how CR's name has been appearing more and more in the production side.

Back