The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Hooray for Miyano and Fujiwara, two of my favourite seiyuus, but christ that Madoka thing did ridiculously well. Is it REALLY that good?
Well, I did enjoy the series a lot, however, I am surprised that it won Best Artistic Direction and Best Design - the character designs were always a big iffy with me; mainly because of the proportions (heads = too wide).

It is one of the better series of this year, although I'm still considering whether it or Steins;Gate is anime of the year.

Joshawott said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Hooray for Miyano and Fujiwara, two of my favourite seiyuus, but christ that Madoka thing did ridiculously well. Is it REALLY that good?
Well, I did enjoy the series a lot, however, I am surprised that it won Best Artistic Direction and Best Design - the character designs were always a big iffy with me; mainly because of the proportions (heads = too wide).

It is one of the better series of this year, although I'm still considering whether it or Steins;Gate is anime of the year.

So your answer's not *shades* set in Stein yet.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Definitely.

I also love how the first 2 episodes kinda deceive you into thinking it's a regular Magical Girl show. Luckily, I'm a fan of both Magical Girl shows and the darker ones, so it worked fine for me xD

ANN has confirmed that the next Lupin III anime will be another tv special, now slated for release in December. The voice cast is also changing, with new voices for Fujiko, Goemon and Zenigata - this leaves Kiyoshi Kobayashi (Jigen) as the only original cast member still remaining.

It's disappointing that this 'new tv series' doesn't seem to have materialised, but in fairness, they haven't definitely debunked that announcement yet either.

(source)

vashdaman said:
I'm not an 8 year old girl obsessed with pink so I really can't see me liking Madoka.

By all accounts, it's far better and more sophisticated than it looks, but frankly, I can't bring myself to watch it either.

In fact, in the actual series, you barely see the colour pink at all; it's just that the promotional artwork shows Madoka as a magical girl when in the series, you don't see her as such until really late on.

Anyways, ANN elaborated the Newtype awards:
(Unlike other awards, particularly overseas, the Newtype Anime Awards for acting are not given for specific roles.)

Tiger & Bunny won Best Mecha (for what? Their hero suits I guess...or H-01).

Also, it was Idolm@ster that won Best Commercial and Tales of Xillia won Best Game Opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
T&B won best mecha for there not being any actual new mecha shows this year. Even if you go back a full year it was up against... what? IS? Star Driver? Maybe Sacred Seven? Not counting SRW since the designs are already established.

IIRC when I voted Gundam Unicorn and the 00 movie were both up for best mecha, but I assume they split their own votes somewhat and T&B swooped in.

(I voted for Unicorn, but every single thing I voted for lost out so bleh :p)

R

Ah, OK, so it wasn't just TV series.

Seems weird that Unicorn didn't win - I don't think 00 movie ("divisive" "Heisei Gundam pretty boys") and Unicorn ("triumphant return to UC" "Katoki Hajime mech designs") would have split their vote too much tbh - I am putting it down entirely to T&B fangirl voting en masse... despite the anecdotal evidence of this thread saying otherwise. :p

ilmaestro said:
Seems weird that Unicorn didn't win - I don't think 00 movie ("divisive" "Heisei Gundam pretty boys") and Unicorn ("triumphant return to UC" "Katoki Hajime mech designs") would have split their vote too much tbh - I am putting it down entirely to T&B fangirl voting en masse... despite the anecdotal evidence of this thread saying otherwise. :p

I managed to snap out of the blinding allure of Bunny's boots and voted for what I genuinely thought were the best proper mecha (as opposed to best fetishy powersuits), but I guess my spiritual sisters were more impassioned, and the free to watch show beat out the lush OAV. Tiger & Bunny stuff probably came a distant second in most of the categories that Madoka walked away with too :s

The 00 movie was ages ago and didn't really focus on cool mecha at all, but I think there are a fair few fangirls out there whose votes would be split for a moment. I cannot explain where all of the votes went in that category from the huge non-female component of the Madoka fan demographic, though. Maybe they like tight powersuits too.

R

Lupin III 40th Anniversary trailer shown, with designs by Redline's Takeshi Koike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjdaNb- ... r_embedded

December's special, Lupin the III: Chi no Kokuin ~ Eien no Mermaid which is due to air in December, will have the first cast change in sixteen years. While Kanichi Kurita and Kiyoshi Kobayashi resume their roles of Lupin III and Daisuke Jigen; however, new cast is:
Kouichi Yamadera as Inspector Zenigata
Daisuke Namikawa as Goemon Ishikawa
Miyuki Sawashiro as Fujiko Mine

Sources: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... ii-trailer
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... n-16-years

Hmm. I'm a little disappointed at how restrained the character designs actually are - when I heard Koike was onboard, I'd hoped they might have been a bit wilder. As it is, the characters look pretty close to the way they were in '96 with Dead or Alive.

Nevertheless, the animation quality looks pretty slick and the action scenes look promising too. I'm quietly optimistic about this one.

I'm lookin forward to the special as i've only just recently seen my first Lupin special and quite enjoyed it. Kinda surprised koike didn't change the designs a bit more cause they look near enough the same to me :p

Yeah, there's not much obvious difference at all. Maybe a tiny bit in the face, but you'd need to really squint...

I guess I was probably being naive, but I did kinda hope it might have gone more like this:

(just out of curiosity, which special did you watch?)

What sort of heathen wants Lupin redesigned anyway? I have enough to cope with getting over these VA changes... While it sounds like Miyuki Sawashiro is doing at least as good a job replacing Eiko Masuyama as Kanichi Kurita did replacing Yasuo Yamada, that new Zenigata is going to take some serious getting used to.

Hmm... I don't think I'd want to see a permanent change to the designs or anything, but given the number of different people who've worked on the franchise over the years, I'm quite up for seeing different artists' interpretations of the characters. It would let them leave their mark and I think it'd just be like getting a new actor in to play James Bond.

So long as they don't end up looking like they did in the Pink Jacket season, mind.

Professor Irony said:
(just out of curiosity, which special did you watch?)

I watched the shinichi watanabe one. i'm not sure but i think its called "The Columbus Files" or somethin like that. i'm gonna watch Castle of Cagliostro next 8)

Joshawott said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-10-12/fairy-tail-adventure-manga-gets-film-next-august

Fairy Tail movie opens in Japan next August.

HOLY **** DUDE!! I didn't think it was popular enough to get a movie. looks like we can get to see what a fight looks like in fairy tail with a REAL budget. :roll:

Back