The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I just boggle at why Sentai are rereleasing motto to love ru when we haven't had darkness yet. I want to give them money but they seem disinclined to take it...

All my money's still on the GL Collection (providing they don't **** around like they did Outlaw Star which went from a preorder to a "When I get around to it" after they faffed it of until some point in march).

SunlightHeart said:
I just boggle at why Sentai are rereleasing motto to love ru when we haven't had darkness yet. I want to give them money but they seem disinclined to take it...
They're probably rereleasing the earlier seasons because of Darkness. Like how FUNimation rereleased season 1 of Shakugan no Shana before they released season 2 and 3. They know how much we like matching stuff.

I just wish they would get the OVAs, but as they were bundled with manga, I'm guessing Shueisha (Viz Media) have the monopoly on them?

I'll probably pick up K-ON! season 2 for my brother - I did buy him his only copy of season 1 at last May's London Comic Con after all.

Steins;Gate will probably be a re-hash of the Part discs like the FMAB Collection sets so I'll just wait and see what Funi does.

I can't wait for the BBFC ratings though.

Had a look at the Sentai Filmworks Facebook and while a lot of people are asking about Chunnibyo Season 1 being sub-only, this comment seems to be a suitable answer:
Watch the show. It would be really hard to translate properly into a dub. Dubs take culture into considerations while sub-only releases tend to leave that intact. This anime has a LOT of culture in it and would be very hard to make a proper dub out of. That's my take. That, and they promised a 2013 release orginally but obviously couldn't make it. Adding a dub would further delay the release and cost them money.
So, I presume it's the Monogatari treatment (sub only due to complexity in translating to English).

The Shiki BD/DVD release (UK Blu-ray compatible) from Funimation seems to have lost it's counter for now on Rightstuf, grab while you can.

I'm don't really watch dubs, and don't particularly care for Chuunibyou either, but from what I recall the cultural references in the series didn't seem to be particularly complex. Unless AOD's subs just ignored them.

Agent-347 said:
And then I decided to pull 3 guns, push him against the wall and demanded him to unleash all Q2 MangaUK titles, this is the result.
I have a strange habit of only buying DVDs as complete sets but only buying BluRays as singles, so I'll be getting the K-On!! boxset but not Steins;Gate. I'll also be getting Jormungand and Mardock 3 as well, some others are in the 'maybe' list.

Mangaranga said:
On the subject of Sentai, I'm not sure what to make of a BD release of To Love Ru. If I remember, the first two seasons of that show are pretty crappy upscales (probably explains the disc count)
Considering that there is only one audio track, it's likely that you can shoehorn a 26 episode series onto two BD50 discs without dropping the quality (since most BD releases have 9 episodes on one disc with two audio options at least and little else, it could be possible to add an extra 4 episodes if the amount of space used by those episodes is the same as the total size of the second audio track and any other data related to it).

I think the main difficulty would have been how to translate the titular "Chunibyo" phrase. The answer is a load of rubbish though, considering how the K-ON! Movie was dubbed. The main point of the movie was seeing the girls go from one culture to a completely different one and so much of the humour revolved around the language barrier that was lost in the dub.

Lawrence said:
Joshawott said:
I'll probably pick up K-ON! season 2 for my brother - I did buy him his only copy of season 1 at last May's London Comic Con after all.
I like how you put emphasis on the fact that he only has one copy of K-ON!
I think I might have meant "own" but not sure how it came out as "only" xD. Maybe I should buy him another....

So, my opinion/comments on the latest schedule updates...

Sentai Schedule for May
Firstly, Sentai does have me a bit enraged about Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai.. I was lead to believe it was getting dubbed, and was full of anticipation for it...
Now, I'm probably going to wait until Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Ren gets confirmed to be sub-only.. It might be a rare event, but they might go back to dub season 1 if sales approve...
Then again, maybe I should just go ahead and watch it subbed straight away. *queue somebody commenting I should just go ahead* I'll think about it. (Decisions...)
My reasoning is actually that for what I know Chu2Koi isn't a show with a fast "pace" like action/ecchi shows, I don't think it'll be dialogue heavy..
So the equation makes me believe it's a show I'll love for sure and that the story is rather easy but heartwarming. (Decisions...)

I'll probably check online whether Hakkenden is something I'd watch later this year, it's something I could see MVM licence though. Don't ask me why.
As for Book of Bantorra I definitely like the premise... Can't say more really.

Complete Collection for Blu-Ray
It does surprise me that the SRP for Steins;Gate complete BD collection is £44.99 and the SRP of Cowboy Bebop complete BD collection is £59.99...
Both are barebones as far as I know.. I mean, I didn't expect the SRP to be £44.99 , that's it.
It means MVM will be selling it on their webshop for £33.75, which is €41... And Amazon will have it for even less...
Not saying Cowboy Bebop or TTGL (regular edition) have a bad SRP, but it's not a small difference either for barebones releases...

Quicksand (yes): I'm not saying I'm not going to get CB or TTGL now thanks to Manga, I just find it a surprisingly large difference. That's all.

Manga Entertainment Q2
It's a bit like usual for me, everything interests me except Dragon Ball, Bleach & One Piece.
But previously I wouldn't get anything because it was all dvd-only, which seems to have changed dramatically since Q4 2013.
The only one to fall through those cracks is K-on!! And that isn't a Turn-on!!
My wishful thinking keeps on waiting for blu-ray upgrades for both K-On & Clannad. (I know, I know... *sadface*)

My first thoughts as to what I might get as a pre-order or asap are Blue Exorcist The Movie & Steins;Gate.
Anything released in parts I'll wait some time for to see what happens unless it has a box to hold both parts.
With Mardock Scramble my problem is the reversed spine for the first movie.. Really annoying. Come on, Kaze. A BD-sized boxset holding all 3 movies, please.
As for K I hope Kaze don't make stupid mistakes like UN-Go & Persona 4... We'll see...
As for Fairy Tail I'll eventually get the Blu-Ray collections, assuming they'll continue with "collection 3" late 2014.

And I'd love to watch Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero but it's being released in the midst of my exams. XD

Dannielle said:
I didn't think Steins Gate or K-ON!! would be getting boxsets ..should of held out, much prefer sets to parts.
It was simple for me, if my favourite design for part 2 didn't win I wouldn't bother for sure until 2015. :p And guess what, it didn't win...
Now I am curious as to what design MangaUK will give the complete collection since the most suitable artwork for that was used already.

NormanicGrav said:
Steins;Gate will probably be a re-hash of the Part discs like the FMAB Collection sets so I'll just wait and see what Funi does.
I see no reason why MangaUK would re-author Steins;Gate, if anything. Did they ever re-author something after being in stores for a while?
I have been paying attention to their releases for about 30 months now and can't really recall anything like that. (Or my memory is leaving me in the dark)
I can only recall some "slipcovers are limited to first print run", some re-releases/upgrades and packaging together (Eden of the East).

Joshawott said:
Lawrence said:
Joshawott said:
I like how you put emphasis on the fact that he only has one copy of K-ON!
I think I might have meant "own" but not sure how it came out as "only" xD. Maybe I should buy him another....
That makes me imagine a die hard fan having the walls "decorated" by just hundreds of copies of ONE boxset. XD
"What do you mean, I overdid it?" ///// "Oh god, a new favourite... Now to replace all." ///// "So, where shall I put this?" ///// "Oh man, a faulty disc..." :p

Joshawott said:
Seven Seas have licensed the Kokoro Connect manga, with the first volume due out in August 2014.
Interesting, it's definitely great news and I know someone who's very happy to hear this news, I think I'll get it as well. ^_^ We'll see. ^_^

New Simulpub Manga: Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Spirit Circle
Hey guys,

The Crunchyroll Manga train is still rolling along as we continue to bring you MORE titles straight from Japan!

This time we have three titles, all from Shounen Gahousha, and will be available to Crunchyroll Members worldwide except Algeria, Lebanon, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Morocco, Poland, and Switzerland. Updates will be on the 30th of every month in accordance with their Japanese publishing dates, and catalog will be added at a later date. Simulpub chapters will be available this afternoon at 4pm Pacific Time.

Agent-347 said:
So, my opinion/comments on the latest schedule updates...

Complete Collection for Blu-Ray
It does surprise me that the SRP for Steins;Gate complete BD collection is £44.99 and the SRP of Cowboy Bebop complete BD collection is £59.99...

Both are barebones as far as I know.. I mean, I didn't expect the SRP to be £44.99 , that's it.

It means MVM will be selling it on their webshop for £33.75, which is €41... And Amazon will have it for even less...
Not saying Cowboy Bebop or TTGL (regular edition) have a bad SRP, but it's not a small difference either for barebones releases...
Quicksand (yes): I'm not saying I'm not going to get CB or TTGL now thanks to Manga, I just find it a surprisingly large difference. That's all.

There's an age old adage - which is you can always decrease your price point but it's impossible to raise it. There's a bit more "big picture" stuff involved than that - for example I still have plans for an Ultimate Edition of Cowboy Bebop down the line, but for now I want to get a version that is accessible out there.

On our end our current version of the BD costs £50 - £55 for both parts on Amazon - so already if all you want is a cheaper release are saving £15 easily, with even more room for discount as time goes along :).

Not really an answer - just some musings on the topic :).

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
There's an age old adage - which is you can always decrease your price point but it's impossible to raise it. There's a bit more "big picture" stuff involved than that - for example I still have plans for an Ultimate Edition of Cowboy Bebop down the line, but for now I want to get a version that is accessible out there.

I'm listening.

Funi's March schedule is updated:
Dragon Ball Z Season 2 Uncut Blu-ray Set
Street Date: March 4, 2014

Is this A Zombie? - Anime Classics DVD/Blu-ray Combo Set
Street Date: March 25, 2014
Blu-ray is Region Locked to A, DVD is Region Locked to 1

anime_andrew said:

On our end our current version of the BD costs £50 - £55 for both parts on Amazon - so already if all you want is a cheaper release are saving £15 easily, with even more room for discount as time goes along :).

Andrew

Define "Ultimate Edition" here. Are we talking a big fancy package with more stuff compared to the CE's? As I don't think some people would be overly happy about that...
I could have the completely wrong idea here though. When I think Ultimate Edition, I'm thinking of what the TTGL release will be like.

Andrew, I know I also keep asking this but will Nerima Daikon Brothers be NTSC or PAL? I note that it didn't see an Aussie release so there's no PAL master (and no reason to create one).
I'd only buy a DVD release if it's NTSC (Not sped up)

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:

Andrew

Define "Ultimate Edition" here. Are we talking a big fancy package with more stuff compared to the CE's? As I don't think some people would be overly happy about that...
I could have the completely wrong idea here though. When I think Ultimate Edition, I'm thinking of what the TTGL release will be like.

Agreed. This might not go down so well with those who have already bought the collectors edition.

Back