The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Joshawott said:
I dunno, Viz's Tiger & Bunny dub is brilliant. It's just FUNimation's and Sentai's.

Is it? Maybe I should switch to dub. I'm usually a sub guy, but thanks to persona 4 having mostly the same actors as the game I've started tolisten to dubs recently... and the Tiger & Bunny JP dub was getting on mynerves for one or two characters (stupid fire emblem).

Joshawott said:

Good good, I guess we have no chance at Sentai snagging the OAV's given they were linked to the Manga releases. Somewhat surprising that there's no sign of the Manga from Viz aswell tbh.

vashdaman said:
Joshawott said:
Usually they have some kid on nonsense back story that I don't get where it's even explained.

This. For some baffling reason, fighting games (2D ones like blazblue usually being the biggest offenders) usually take their stories so seriously,that they have completely in-accessible back stories which are not even explained at all within the game! Meaning you end up dealing with a bunch of acronyms and factions that were never even introduced to you in the first place. I seem to recall having had a similar experience to Blazblue as Fabricatedlunatic; it was nothing but gibberish. I think making a fighter based on an anime works better than vice versa.

I'd imagine it's incredibly difficult to justify a dozen plus random fighters coming together for a rumble, then if you have a sequel you need more reasons that the same people and more have come together etc etc etc, it's no wonder it all gets out of hand and more than a bit silly.

From the MangaUK podcast:

MangaUK have confirmed that we're going to be getting Blue Exorcist on blu-ray, with the English dub. It will be a complete collection over 3 50GB discs. It will also be released as a sub-only DVD complete collection.

Bakuman has been delayed until 17th June. MangaUK basically said it was a delay on Kazé's side.
FMA Brotherhood Part 1 on blu-ray has been delayed and is now available on due out on 24th June now.

Also, there's a problem with Naruto Shippuuden Boxset 10 disc 1, as it was found that it doesn't play on Region 2 players (lol), so the date has been pushed back to 24th June. Fortunately it was found before they went to retailers, so it will all be fixed by the time it comes out.
MangaUK had have to cancel their Fairy Tail complete season 1 boxset and split it into two, because of Japan meddling again (same thing as FMA: Brotherhood). 22nd July for the first set and the second set about 7 weeks later.

Roujin Z's rerelease figures were apparently disappointing.

EDIT:
MangaUK said they're avoiding NTSC releases because they aren't convinced the market is there and that it could open a can of worms with returns and retailers.

How dare the gestalt anime industry of Japan meddle with a series it made!

The Blue Exorcist release sounds rather interesting. I cannot imagine the sub-only DVD will shift too many copies, though - I can almost hear the complaints from dub fans already ^^;

R

MangaUK said we'll hear more about it at Comic Con, so the Blue Exorcist dub blu-ray was apparently only half of an announcement.

Joshawott said:
Roujin Z's rerelease figures were apparently disappointing.
This makes me sad. Such a great film, and a rare example of a Blu-ray we have that the US doesn't. It's a Kaze release, though, so I'm kind of scared to watch it /o\

Rui said:
How dare the gestalt anime industry of Japan meddle with a series it made!

The Blue Exorcist release sounds rather interesting. I cannot imagine the sub-only DVD will shift too many copies, though - I can almost hear the complaints from dub fans already ^^;

R

You must be psychic because I'm boiling with anger here, so we,re only getting the dub on blu-ray, not that I'm complaining about that iv got a blu-ray player but it's cheaper to get them on DVD,

Mm, I would have thought (sweeping generalisation incoming!) that DVD-only is a more 'mainstream' market, and similarly dubs are produced for the same kind of buyers. I guess it's just cheaper to stuff the subbed version onto a DVD set and push it out the door, but it's probably not going to do the sub-only cause any favours in the long term.

People should buy the show on BD anyway though. The US DVDs looked ok but imagine how much better it is with everyone talking at the right pitch and with a sharper picture than the UK DVD set.

R

I support Bluray releases and will normally go for that option when available but it always bugs me when they release a series on DVD only with no hint of a Bluray release, expect people to shell out again 12 months later then wonder why the BD bombs in terms of sales.

If I've already got a series on DVD then with very few exceptions, mostly films, I'm never going to double up on a series.

I know Blue Exorcist has an odd history with the English dub only being announced after the sub only DVDs were produced but still /bangs head on the table.

Oh and don't get me started on the we'll wait and see how many DVDs we sell before we decide on a Bluray release which has to be the most ridiculous argument I've heard.

Ah, I forgot that it was already out on DVD here (oops)! That does make slightly more sense, except that now the DVD box set is going for an even tinier market of sub watchers who don't want HD anime and didn't already buy the previous release. And of course BDs sell worse when customers bought the show already a few months ago on DVD...

Just saw Josh's update too. It's disappointing that the real reason Manga UK is locked into PAL transfers is so flimsy, and that the fear or silly people making returns prevents me from being able to buy UK releases where there's a choice (I don't want PAL conversions).

R

Thing is with DVD player there cheap * I'm cheap * there I said, anyways if my blu-ray player brakes it'll be a while til I get a new one -* region free one * it's just that if I have say-

100 pounds and iv been saving up for a few weeks and waiting patiently so I could buy these series hat cost 30 pounds each and iv been waiting for ages to get these series but then your DVD player brakes, the DVD I got was cheap and is great, it would cost me 34 pounds to get a new one, but if you only had a blu-ray player you'd be knackerd cause blu-rays are expensive, you know what I'm getting that,

What are the odds I just pre-ordered the Fairy Tail boxset yesterday? *sighs* Oh well, can't be helped I suppose.
On the plus side, it means June won't be such an expensive month for me. Got to look for the positives! Means I can save for the two parts and get something else in June instead! :)

If you have a computer you can upgrade to a basic BD drive for barely any more than a DVD drive, AF. It's pretty useful and brings the cost of BD adoption down a lot.

Personally, even though a BD player costs more, I wouldn't buy a DVD-only player again if my standalone player breaks. There's no advantage to it in the long term unless you're strapped for cash and have no other hardware (I'd just watch DVDs on another device until I could buy a player with a longer lifespan, but YMMV).

R

Rui said:
If you have a computer you can upgrade to a basic BD drive for barely any more than a DVD drive, AF. It's pretty useful and brings the cost of BD adoption down a lot.

Personally, even though a BD player costs more, I wouldn't buy a DVD-only player again if my standalone player breaks. There's no advantage to it in the long term unless you're strapped for cash and have no other hardware (I'd just watch DVDs on another device until I could buy a player with a longer lifespan, but YMMV).

R

Thing is I love the blu-ray players there brilliant Which I why I'm thinking of buying another one just in case,

Its a good thing there doing that DVD/ blu-ray combo thing which is great for both party's with or with out a blu-ray, but it is handy to have a cheap DVD player just in case, for a back up.

Back