The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

alexrose1uk said:
Mohawk52 said:
I'm talking about any and all vision seen on our tele's. Makes no difference what the source is, the final destination, meaning our teles, has to be converted to UK standards, or we just won't see them.

Actually you're somewhat wrong there as far as I know. Most TVs sold in this country over the last 5 years, including nearly ALL HDTVs are both NTSC/60Hz and PAL/50Hz compatible.

There are a few exceptions, usually cheaper brands/older TVs, but buy ANY big name TV today, check the manual and you'll find it accepts both; as 60Hz, along with 24Hz are part of the HD Broadcast/Authoring standards, whereas 30Hz isn't which has caused a few issues here and there :)
Most panels, bar the electrics aren't **** are also able to perform natively, like LCD monitors which support multiple natively supported refresh rates.

Whilst not the best example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

Note the part about HD Ready 1080p screens being REQUIRED to support these display modes natively.
Firstly lets clear up this whole PAL NTSC thing right here. Both systems are analogue. Both are history, Both for the majority of the population who aren't Techygeeks like me (it's my mortgage payer, and groceries buyer.) still call their local format out of habit if nothing else. Most wouldn't know what the acronyms mean anyway without looking them up on the internet and that would only still confuse them more without getting into the math alone. (I'm not being patronising. I'm stating the facts. It's a part of Quantum Mechanics folks. It's that heavy.) All analogue systems were shut down in the US in 2009, meaning NTSC is dead and any old NTSC receivers have to be plugged up to a Digital STB (Set Top Box) to be useful, or chucked in the skip. (noticed I stated receivers meaning TVs. Any analogue record/playback device can still be used as long as they go through an A2D converter) We here are in the process of doing that to PAL region by region and everyone should be on the new Digital Broadcast Standards by end of 2012. Here that is known as DVB-T. In the US it's known as ATSC. That 1080p50/60 just means you can buy your flatscreen here and take it to the US or anywhere else in the world that has 60 cycles per second power supplies and it will work on their native system which would also run on 60Hz frame rate. Frame rate is determined by Mains line frequency hense all newer receivers and auxilary record/playback devices have been made to these new standards for sometime now. Cheaper costs to the manufactureers. Any older models will need an analogue to digital (A2D) converter of some type to be able to be seen on digital screens which native in this country will be DVB-T. other counties are either doing the same, or will be in future. It doesn't allow for ATSC to be played out of a DVB-T receiver, or vice-versa depending on where the native village might be, without conversion.

Reference

Nobody cares about the broadcasting standards anymore, they're defunct. PAL and NTSC are now more commonly used to describe video sources which match the resolution and frame rate of one of the standards.

The mention of a "PAL Only" set-up was in reference to older CRTs which set their display rate by the frequency of the electricity supply, these units are incapable of displaying a 60Hz video correctly. However these units are now in minimal active use making replication of US disc masters for UK release viable, and beneficial for the consumer as it would shorten the wait between US and UK releases.

I've got to wonder the same point, after all the intial point of this discussion was that we no longer need 576i/p (PAL) DVDs, as most of our TVs will happily accept and display properly a 480i/p signal (AKA American/NTSC DVD), along with a whole host of other refresh rates.

I'm not entirely surprised, you have to remember not only is anime often seen as cartoons in this country, but stuff like Yugioh has tv coverage which younger people will see.

The mainstream shounen anime has a much wider coverage which allows it to fall into the mainstream kids material market, whereas adult aimed anime typically only has the more niche market to fall into.

Note both Akira and Yu-Gi-Oh that will probably have buyers outside of the traditional anime niche.

MangaUK reveal 2011 best sellers

UK distributor MangaUK have revealed their top selling titles of 2011 via a post on their Twitter. They are as follows:

1) Akira (Blu-Ray)
2) Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time (DVD)
3) Summer Wars
4) 5cm Per Second
5) Evangelion 2.22: You Are (Not) Alone
6) High School of the Dead (DVD/Blu-Ray)
7) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Volume 3 (DVD)

MangaUK also mentioned that this list excludes long-running series' such as Naruto and Bleach as the list only contains 2011 releases. Naruto Shippuden volumes 5-7 sold over 16,000 copies, while Bleach's 6th and 7th seasons sold over 8,000 units combined. It was also specified that the entire Eden of the East franchise totalled around 12,000 sales.

MangaUK predict that the high sales of the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie was due to the free card and availability in two major supermarkets (ASDA and Morrisons).[/i]

(For the other details, you can see them on MangaUK's twitter profile).

reborn said:
Manga have confirmed their bestsellers of 2011:

1) Akira BD
2) Yu-gi-oh Movie DVD
3) Summer Wars
4) 5cms Per Second
5) Evangelion 2.2
6) High School Of the Dead
7) Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood volume 3

https://twitter.com/#!/MangaUK/status/1 ... 2410923008
https://twitter.com/#!/MangaUK/status/1 ... 2291965953

I would have expected Evangelion higher and Yu-gi-oh lower myself.

Damn it. I should check this thread too before making threads >>

MangaUK expected Yu-Gi-Oh! sold so well due to being in ASDA and Morrisons. I expect it sold well due to reverse importing then the American die-hard fans due to the Japanese language track.

Mohawk52 said:
Frame rate is determined by Mains line frequency
Historically yes, but electronics have advanced a lot since the early days of TV so it is no longer a necessity; the 50/60Hz refresh rates have been maintained purely for legacy and compatibility reasons. All LCD panels for computer monitors default to 60Hz, and CRT monitors long supported multiple refresh rates.

Well, the only dubbed One Piece movie is the 8th, which is a retelling of a story arc...so I doubt it would have much appeal being released here, without the series.

Back