The General Conversation Area

I’ve worked in a supermarket (Tesco) before and it’s not something I want to do again.
I've been through two redundancies, from my own experience it is far better to get any form of employment no matter what than to have a gap in your CV while looking for a job that you actually want. If you have a gap of a few months while looking for a job you actually want after the redundancy many HR teams will just toss your CV aside even if you have many years of experience in a similar role.

my Carly pre-order shipped but my Taylor pre-order hasn't yet but it hasn't stopped me
6xnr18.jpg

I've been through two redundancies, from my own experience it is far better to get any form of employment no matter what than to have a gap in your CV while looking for a job that you actually want. If you have a gap of a few months while looking for a job you actually want after the redundancy many HR teams will just toss your CV aside even if you have many years of experience in a similar role.

This is simply not true as I had a gap spanning years and had multiple good positions for charities, NHS and respectable businesses offering me interviews.

There are lots of jobs out there. Seek a professional to help with the CV, there are free services for this. Write an outline of a cover letter and alter it for each position so it directly addresses the criteria in their job specification. Spend an entire day searching for positions that you would LIKE. Spend an entire second day writing the cover letters for them. Send off, and you will have interviews guaranteed.

The truth is, 50% of CV will get chucked because they aren't spelt correctly, they don't have the relevant skills. It's a garbage CV. I have done recruitment before and it's always the case.

You will get through the door if you look like you even remotely understand what they are asking. If you don't it's because there are too many applicants.

(Off-topic, move on from this post everyone)

Just tell me where I have to kneel and beg to have both and I'm there!

Watching it now and loving it.

Was gutted reading that he'll stop directing for the moment to dedicate himself exclusively to screenwriting again. Even with Men, I loved the creativity displayed on some of the sequences (the tunnel scene is mindblowing) and its commitment to full daylight horror for like the first 30 or 40 minutes.

Alex Garland is one of the UK's greatest treasures, keep him safe 🙏
I second that, but I didn't know about him taking a break from directing. He's certainly great at both directing and writing, so not a total loss. Plus I'm always one for people taking a break and creating fewer quality works than churning out just anything whilst the going is good. You just reminded me about Men - I was really excited to watch it before I got busy and forgot all about it heh. And someone who can scare you silly with the lights on truly understands horror, as opposed to constantly relying on jump scares (like that Smile movie which had such brilliant marketing but I snoozed a few times watching it...).

And on the subject of horror, what's everyone been watching that has been good? @Vincentdante, seen anything worth recommending for the Halloween season? I haven't managed to get to half as much as I planned but I did finally bite the bullet and start on Higurashi Gou and now Sotsu, without having finished the VNs as I had originally planned. Very interesting, even if not as good as I had expected, but still nice to revisit Hinamizawa. I especially loved the sunset scenes with the really loud Higurashi chirping in the Rena arc. I also get the feeling that I may just enjoy Umineko better, when I get to it, for having seeing the new anime.

Also managed to watch Inu-oh at Picturehouse Central with Yuasa in attendance for the Q&A. The screen, surprisingly unknown to me despite the West End being my old Uni haunt, was great and was ideal for the beautiful visuals and awesomely anachronistic soundtrack. Was also helped but having the director sitting in the row ahead bobbing along to the music heh, but I'd recommend a cinema watch for this to Yuasa fans if showing near you. Sadly my photography skills leave much to be desired:20221018_200639.jpg

And on the subject of horror, what's everyone been watching that has been good? @Vincentdante, seen anything worth recommending for the Halloween season? I haven't managed to get to half as much as I planned but I did finally bite the bullet and start on Higurashi Gou and now Sotsu, without having finished the VNs as I had originally planned. Very interesting, even if not as good as I had expected, but still nice to revisit Hinamizawa. I especially loved the sunset scenes with the really loud Higurashi chirping in the Rena arc. I also get the feeling that I may just enjoy Umineko better, when I get to it, for having seeing the new anime.
General horror recommendations from me this year will be my usual go to's of Hereditary, The Mist (not the netflix adaptation but the 2007 movie version) and anything in that vein.

If you have an account with Audible I strongly recommend Dark Radio Theatre which adapts classic HP Lovecraft stories into radio plays. I just got done listening to their version of The Dunwich Horror actually.

For video games, I've been (re)playing The Quarry, I love those games. Personally waiting for the new entry in the Dark Pictures Anthology that is coming out in a few weeks. Getting it on Steam probably and I will try and rope in a player 2 from somewhere.

At work for my last 1 and a half shifts as a CCTV operator/control manager before I'm made redundant.

Found out today that the council are actually keeping cctv but not having it manned. People from the council will come into the control room to download footage for the police. Had to give them a crash course in how to do it today. Shall be fun when they forget or mess up the paperwork which causes a case to be dropped.

Also found a job I'm going to apply for, my CV is all up to date.

@Gemsy-chan I'm sorry I haven't said anything before but I really wish you the best of luck must be stressful being made redundant and having to find a new job :confused:
❤️

Kinda random I guess but, well... I wanna become a plus-size model (as in taking cute photos of myself wearing lots of nice outfits from my considerable wardrobe, and uploading them onto some sort of blog-type thing to hopefully build a small but loyal following of people who like my style and appearance), but I can't stop thinking that one of the people who bullied me at school will find it and start mudslinging to try and ruin my image? (and that's not even taking into account all the misogynistic fatphobic stinkbutts who've never even met me who are gonna be big mad at me on the internet for doing this). Does anyone have any advice on how to manage stuff like that psychologically or in any other aspect? I know I might be too sensitive to handle all the trolls anyway tbf but I really love dressing up and would like to put myself out there in all the awesome things I wear :)

Kinda random I guess but, well... I wanna become a plus-size model (as in taking cute photos of myself wearing lots of nice outfits from my considerable wardrobe, and uploading them onto some sort of blog-type thing to hopefully build a small but loyal following of people who like my style and appearance), but I can't stop thinking that one of the people who bullied me at school will find it and start mudslinging to try and ruin my image? (and that's not even taking into account all the misogynistic fatphobic stinkbutts who've never even met me who are gonna be big mad at me on the internet for doing this). Does anyone have any advice on how to manage stuff like that psychologically or in any other aspect? I know I might be too sensitive to handle all the trolls anyway tbf but I really love dressing up and would like to put myself out there in all the awesome things I wear :)
All I can say is that you need a thick skin, as no matter what you do on the Internet there is someone somewhere in a basement who will troll.

If you do do it, then you are braver than me.

Back