The General Conversation Area

I've enjoyed my little long weekend away from the chaos of real life on Jersey.

Sadly all good things come to an end as I fly back home tomorrow, weather has been excellent this weekend
I was thinking about Jersey on Friday, I was curious what it is like

I imagine, that you just chill there, and enjoy a british lifestyle except it has much better weather. That sounds quite appealing

It is on my list for sure. But I think Ireland has to be next, before that

OMG, I went to those little islands off the coast of the UK when I was in my late teens for a two-week holiday and it was utterly magical I've never forgotten it... there were little fishies and a couple of crabs gently kissing me as I floated in the water with my hands on the shallows of the ocean floor and there were forest gardens and I saw a jellyfish :)

I was thinking about Jersey on Friday, I was curious what it is like

I imagine, that you just chill there, and enjoy a british lifestyle except it has much better weather. That sounds quite appealing

It is on my list for sure. But I think Ireland has to be next, before that

It is very much a more relaxed pace of life, although the tourist hotspots can get busy at times. Walking through St Helier town centre yesterday around 9:30 was very spooky in nearly everything being closed due to the funeral, thankfully the buses were still running (all be it a Sunday service) to allow me to visit a couple places which remained open (Devil's Hole on the north coast & La Corbière lighthouse, although sadly the tide was in so I couldn't walk across the causeway).

Back home and getting ready to return to normal tomorrow, ready to play catch-up most likely.

UK Prices for the new gen of GPUs from Nvidia.

RTX 4090 £1679

RTX 4080 16GB £1269

RTX 4080 12GB £949

Go touch grass Nvidia. these prices are ridiculous.
And that is probably less then what OEMs will be charging for their versions.
But then EVGA did recently decide to not sell anymore GPUs beyond the 30 series cards.

And my main PC at home is still plodding along with an old GTX 1050 Ti. I don't do any gaming at all, just video streaming and Blu-ray playback. The most intense use I ever put on my PC was when I opened 12 rail-cam videos to watch train traffic all at one time and tiled them on my dual screens, and then started to see some lag, but that was probably more stress on the 3rd-Gen I5 CPU than the card's GPU. I've been running this same computer without any further upgrades for 8 or more years now, and still haven't really seen the need to upgrade it yet - That will have to change in a couple years though, once Microsoft drops Windows 10 support, I suppose.

I bought a second hand RTX 3090 a couple of days after the crypto crash just about halved the price of them overnight. No regrets. Didn't think I'd see a better chance to upgrade, was definitely necessary to keep my frame rates up at 4k and will keep me going for a while, I imagine.

Just out of the Spanish Consulate to sort out getting a passport. Was surprisingly quick and easy! Only 15mins in there. Given how much of a hassle it was to get an appointment in the first place, took me months, was pleasantly surprised!

This is a fascinating, surprisingly thoughtful and also funny deep dive into the history and use of fanservice in anime:

Interesting video essay. Its argument had a pretty good throughline, though there were a couple of...gaping holes.😏

For starters, the way it jumped straight from Cutie Honey to Gunbuster ignores a decade and a half of panty shots. It wouldn't have taken much research to turn up a show like Miss Machiko, a 95-episode series about a little kid sexually harrassing his teacher for laughs. The essay really overemphasises Gainax; the main thing they added to anime fan service was taking the time to animate breast bounce. Satoshi Urushihara, Cream Lemon, and the blood-and-boobs OAVs of the 90s don't even get a mention.

The other missing element is the corporate cynicism that has come to dominate anime fan service over the last decade. Productions used to work within the limitations of TV censorship; now they flagrantly ignore them and slap an obnoxious light shaft over it to push people towards buying the blu-rays.

looking through my bookmarks to find a website and i randomly found this, if there was ever a certain sound to take me back it'd to being younger it's probably this music

I am such an enigma online but I hope that everyone is well!! Work's been suuuuper busy but very productive, but things are really good. Lots of adventures to come with friends, my mum is cancer-free this year around, and I am meeting my beautiful 2 year partner at the start of next month! Feel very blessed ;___;
Glad to hear everything is going well and that your mother is feeling better. Enjoy all the adventures!

I am such an enigma online but I hope that everyone is well!! Work's been suuuuper busy but very productive, but things are really good. Lots of adventures to come with friends, my mum is cancer-free this year around, and I am meeting my beautiful 2 year partner at the start of next month! Feel very blessed ;___;

ugly cries into my chicken satay I'm so glad you and your mum are ok ;-; <3 (that was meant to be funny not depressing XP ) I hope you enjoy meeting them! 🥰

i was in a pretty good mood tonight until i looked at my livechart for next season and counted how many shows i have on watching/considering, i have 8 sequel seasons and 11 new shows, guarantee like every season that 11 will most likely drop to like 4 or 5
worst of it all is a big chunk of it is on saturday so i might drop the utawarerumono anime and muv-luv 2nd cour

Anyone else checking exchange rates hoping for a better deal before completing an order? I've had a bunch of items in my rightstuf basket for days waiting for the exchange rates to get better before completing checkout.

Thought for the day whilst attempting to clean a picture frame: Why is stuff explicitly labelled “glass cleaner” the single worst thing in the world for actually cleaning glass? That someone has failed to invent a dedicated glass cleaning product that actually cleans glass without leaving it covered in streaks that are then harder to polish out of the glass than literally anything else in Year One of the Third Carolean Era seems unreal. Is “glass cleaner” just some Emperor’s New Clothes nonsense like “fingerprint resistant” phone screens? Are window cleaners in fact eldritch magicians and glass some kind of magic substance mere mortals are unable to tame or truly comprehend?

Hello everyone, I am back from a brief hiatus due to health issues again, this time around I was in the hospital for four days. Evidently an artery in my stomach started leaking inside it, and I lost a lot of blood through my GI tract. I got very lightheaded and white as a sheet, and had to call the ambulance. My hemoglobin levels, which are supposed to be at 12+, were only at 4 when I got to the hospital. They had to give me 5 pints of blood to get it back up over 7. Unfortunately, when they did an endoscopy to try to cauterize the vessel, it had already closed up so they weren't able to locate it to fix it.

I'm back home now, after they got my hemoglobin levels up over 8, but they said if I start having the same symptoms to come right back to the emergency room so they can scope me right away and find it while it is actively leaking and fix it properly. So, I am off work right now resting up. I can barely step up one flight of stairs without getting lightheaded and my heart pounding. I'm not in very good shape at all; It really sucks getting old. So, if I happen to suddenly disappear again on here for an extended time, well... 😟

Hello everyone, I am back from a brief hiatus due to health issues again, this time around I was in the hospital for four days. Evidently an artery in my stomach started leaking inside it, and I lost a lot of blood through my GI tract. I got very lightheaded and white as a sheet, and had to call the ambulance. My hemoglobin levels, which are supposed to be at 12+, were only at 4 when I got to the hospital. They had to give me 5 pints of blood to get it back up over 7. Unfortunately, when they did an endoscopy to try to cauterize the vessel, it had already closed up so they weren't able to locate it to fix it.

I'm back home now, after they got my hemoglobin levels up over 8, but they said if I start having the same symptoms to come right back to the emergency room so they can scope me right away and find it while it is actively leaking and fix it properly. So, I am off work right now resting up. I can barely step up one flight of stairs without getting lightheaded and my heart pounding. I'm not in very good shape at all; It really sucks getting old. So, if I happen to suddenly disappear again on here for an extended time, well... 😟
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Wishing you a grand recovery.

Back