The General Conversation Area

So as of today I have been let go from my first job. I had my suspicions but overall it's a disappointing venture to experience. On one hand I was spending 3-4 hours a day travelling for work so it was taking a toll on me mentally.

Basically the boss liked me, but I wasn't putting enough effort to justify him keeping me on considering the tasks that I initially had were passed on to other people in the end. It's a small company so it makes sense that he has bills to pay in the end.

So as of today I have been let go from my first job. I had my suspicions but overall it's a disappointing venture to experience. On one hand I was spending 3-4 hours a day travelling for work so it was taking a toll on me mentally.

Basically the boss liked me, but I wasn't putting enough effort to justify him keeping me on considering the tasks that I initially had were passed on to other people in the end. It's a small company so it makes sense that he has bills to pay in the end.
Being let go of sucks :( but 3-4 hours a day travelling is terrible. I used to do 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day and that was bad enough.

I hope you find a new job that suits you better soon!

Would say 2 hours travel would be best bet for a commute, 4 hours you'd want to go back to bed when you got there!
If you're going to make the effort for job searching, don't go for such a tiring commute, it could affect your performance.

I say that and my factory job is but a shoelace express stroll, I live crazy close to an industrial estate

Being let go of sucks :( but 3-4 hours a day travelling is terrible. I used to do 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day and that was bad enough.

I hope you find a new job that suits you better soon!
Yeah it sucks, but on a positive note I can now add Adobe Illustrator, Linnworks and some back-end knowledge for Amazon Vendor Central and Shopify for my portfolio.
Would say 2 hours travel would be best bet for a commute, 4 hours you'd want to go back to bed when you got there!
If you're going to make the effort for job searching, don't go for such a tiring commute, it could affect your performance.

I say that and my factory job is but a shoelace express stroll, I live crazy close to an industrial estate
Yeah I'm aware the recommended limit for work travel is about an hour from home to work and vice versa, but for my situation it was due to flats being taken at the last second so I made the decision to live in a city rather than a village. At least I don't have to wake up at 5:50am for a 9:00am job each time from here on.

I'm actually renting my flat though it's the same sort of rules as a student accommodation. So I wouldn't know much about other sorts of rent like houses.
Yea I'm already renting with my brother, our job is paying for it but a relative passed away recently now my dad is fixing up their house, course he plans to live there with my step mum, thing is he's already got a house closer where I am but he wanted to rent it out, but both him and my step mum claim benefits, his idea is for me and my brother to rent it out to pay for our rent 🤔 it's not renting out a room or anything, the mortgage is payed up since like 2 years ago

If you're the one renting out find an agency to do it for you. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I think you pay a fee and then they do everything for you. We rent through an agency, but our actual landlady is someone else. How about asking your own landlord, if he's the approachable type.
Or try finding a forum for landlords? I'm sure there must be one. I'm sure Google can provide.

Yesterday was such a great day! Aside from the usual catching up with @Neil.T via weekly VC, I took some stuff to the recycling centre in the morning, and while I was waiting for it to open, I saw a fox only about 20-30 meters or so away! I also saw a pair of bullfinches (which I haven't seen in ages), and a big buzzard, and on the way back, I said hello to some horses in a field! 😃 😄 😊

Yesterday was such a great day! Aside from the usual catching up with @Neil.T via weekly VC, I took some stuff to the recycling centre in the morning, and while I was waiting for it to open, I saw a fox only about 20-30 meters or so away! I also saw a pair of bullfinches (which I haven't seen in ages), and a big buzzard, and on the way back, I said hello to some horses in a field! 😃 😄 😊
Fox, bullfinch and buzzard.....sounds like my kind of BBQ 👩‍🍳

Well this new telly is decent so far, took ages to calibrate it though. I’m impressed so far with how older films look on it (I used two Outlaw Gangster VIP sequels to test it out.)

The stand on it is huge though, almost feels like it was meant for the bigger models.

Well this new telly is decent so far, took ages to calibrate it though. I’m impressed so far with how older films look on it (I used two Outlaw Gangster VIP sequels to test it out.)

The stand on it is huge though, almost feels like it was meant for the bigger models.
What TV did you get?

Compared to the others in the store it was pretty average sized tbh. Dunno how someone could fit a 65” in their home without a lot of space Though.

Back