The General Conversation Area

In the show, sure, but real Yu-gi-oh isn't like that at all. There is strategy and a lot of skill in building decks with cards that work well with each other. It's also pretty easy to understand. I've played a lot of it, most recently on the new PS4 game and it's very fun.

Silly question number 24, any idea who this character is and what show she is from?

2d7u03o.jpg

5l733l.jpg

(My tour of Japan has taken me out of Tokyo, over the mountains to the west coast at Toyama via Matsumoto & Zenkoji Temple)

The flag is for Plum's 'Shinshuu Ueda' Komatsuhime, a local mascot of sorts based on a historical figure. As far as I know she isn't from a show. I believe the girl in the big shot is actually Suwahime rather than Komatsuhime (going by the label on the top picture). She's also a local mascot from the Nagano area so I'm guessing you took your pictures somewhere in your recent travels.

This is roughly where my knowledge ends as the only reason I know her is that you included the name in the picture and I have an interest in Sengoku-era history ^^;

R

Taken at a service station this morning between Tokyo & Lake Suwa, looked like it came from an anime, took an interest as she looked interesting.

Random question: If I'm looking to import a video game from Australia, where's the best place to order from? I kinda want to pre-order a copy of Yo-Kai Watch.

When I bought my New 3DS XL I bought it from Mighty Ape. Service was really good so I'd suggest them. Otherwise I guess PlayAisa might get a few Australian copies of the game in?

AF do your siblings work? If they do and you don't then I'm guessing your Mums shoving it all on your for some sort of fair family balance as they'll be contributing financially.

If however they're unemployed like you then yeah it's not fair, you should clean after you and help her with some of her work, not your siblings.

Chaz makes good points, food, bill paying and job stability come first. Hobbies come last. I never really get to go out, splurge on loads of stuff like I'm always seeing you do as I have bills, a mortgage and have to pay for food in an out of work etc etc. I'm only 27 so yeah I wish I could be selfish whilst I'm young and do and buy what I want.

I'd kill to be able to just do my hobbies and nothing else but the world doesn't work that way and an easy life isn't a valid life choice for people who don't want to live off the government. If I was still jobless my Mum would be making me clean up so I'm working for the life she provides, a roof, food etc. She only changed me £160 month when I lived at home jobless.

-Danielle- said:
AF do your siblings work? If they do and you don't then I'm guessing your Mums shoving it all on your for some sort of fair family balance as they'll be contributing financially.

If however they're unemployed like you then yeah it's not fair, you should clean after you and help her with some of her work, not your siblings.

Chaz makes good points, food, bill paying and job stability come first. Hobbies come last. I never really get to go out, splurge on loads of stuff like I'm always seeing you do as I have bills, a mortgage and have to pay for food in an out of work etc etc. I'm only 27 so yeah I wish I could be selfish whilst I'm young and do and buy what I want.

I'd kill to be able to just do my hobbies and nothing else but the world doesn't work that way and an easy life isn't a valid life choice for people who don't want to live off the government. If I was still jobless my Mum would be making me clean up so I'm working for the life she provides, a roof, food etc. She only changed me £160 month when I lived at home jobless.

Well
My sister is in collage and still getting poket money
My other sister lives with her man.... who is a good for nothing
My brother is the only one who has his head screwed on tight... but lives with my .... poor grandmother.... his not giving her any problems but she is poorly.
I give my mom plenty of my cash from my rounds so it's not a financial problem.

It's not about money... It's about responsibility

We have 3 dogs
1 Is my moms
2 is my sister
3 is my dad's

They push their responsibility of looking after them on me.. which isn't fair

My mom got rabbits and she asks me to feed them even tho she wanted them.... but it's mostly my sisters job.

I don't even make Any mess in the house I'm usually in my room ether

Watching anime

Figuring out how to make reviews on my cam..... which by the I'm getting a new one because it was clicking in my videos.

Or talking to you guys or on MAL.

It's just me and my sister now...... who by the way is more of a pain then me.... you can ask my parents your self ans they would say I'm no trouble.

Now don't get me wrong I do

clean the house every morning
And
I do walk out husky every day....... which is no easy feet considering huskys have a lot of energy.... seriously I take him on my rounds and its a pain in the ass to keep him in line while posting my papers and riding the bike..... I don't mind walking him because I love him .... his like an annoying little brother which you can't help but love.

I believe that while your alive you should enjoy your self because you don't know what might happen...... think about it

You might get run over by a car and die
The end of the world could happen tomorrow
You might find out you have a illness that will take you
You might get dragged in to a war
You might get killed by a killer or terrorist
Anything might happen......

Which is why I say........live how you want do what ever you want because once your dead it's all over.

Mortgages
Paying off a car
Pets
All that stuff your paying with your hard earned money.... while your paying that off anything could happen to them or like I said the future is uncertain ....

You could be enjoying your self doing what you want to do....

Sure
Bill's
And food

I understand but spending all your cash on all that stuff is just.... just wrong.

While your working hard to earn cash to pay off all those things... do you know what rich people are doing.....

Going on holiday while you work for them to.

I'm one of those people who puts his happiness first and enjoy him self ... again sure bills an food I get it I really do.... but when you have worked long hours and dealing with crap at home... Your wasting your time .... you can't live forever.... I like to think about the now instead of tomorrow and if tomorrow happens that tomorrow will be my today... for me it's all about the now... I do everything on a whim an do it with no regrets.

I also take on fewer responsibilities so that way I can do what ever I want because again today is important then thinking about the future... because in the words of the greatest anime charecter ever....

whatever happens happens *spike spegal* taking it one day at a time.

Now il say this

I help out I really do and pay board

It's when people make a mess and I'm expected to clean it up
And
When people have responsibilities like...

A baby
A dog
Rabbits
You get what I'm saying other responsibilities.

It's unfair that I should look after something that I didn't want....

Let's say I got a ..... I don't know a cat or a dog because I wanted one and then after a while I got my sister or brother to walk it and feed it AND give it attention .... would that be fair on them?

All I'm saying is that people should take responsibility on things that belong to them ......my saying is this

If it belongs to you you look after it
If you want something you get it
If want something done you do it...... unless someone else had a hand in it too of course.

I'm just pissed that because
these things aren't my responsibility.
And
The mess isn't my doing.

But I will help out because I should but not take responsibility for other peoples responsibilities.

I mean you wouldn't clean up your sisters party mess when you had nothing to do it..... would you.

Happiness comes first and foremost and nothing else.

Personally, I've always viewed animal responsibilities as something a bit different really. When I was at home my mother (and to an extent my little bother) had a lot of different animals, but I was the one who pretty much looked after them the majority of the time. Although yes I did dislike this sometimes, I didn't really complain as even if they were a pet someone else brought into the house, I think as long as you're a part of the household then they're as much your responsibility as anyone else's in the house. On my part I did look after the animals as a way of paying for my keep as I wasn't bringing any money into the household, but my original point is something I still kinda stand by where animals are concerned. :)

I do get where you're coming from though and I'd suggest talking to your mum as looking after that many animals AND a lot of the general upkeep for the household is something that perhaps should be better balanced. What everyone else has already said isn't untrue though, work first and play later pretty much as responsibilities are responsibilities and you still probably have a lot more freedom than a lot of us do in our daily lives.

Demelza said:
Personally, I've always viewed animal responsibilities as something a bit different really. When I was at home my mother (and to an extent my little bother) had a lot of different animals, but I was the one who pretty much looked after them the majority of the time. Although yes I did dislike this sometimes, I didn't really complain as even if they were a pet someone else brought into the house, I think as long as you're a part of the household then they're as much your responsibility as anyone else's in the house. On my part I did look after the animals as a way of paying for my keep as I wasn't bringing any money into the household, but my original point is something I still kinda stand by where animals are concerned. :)

I do get where you're coming from though and I'd suggest talking to your mum as looking after that many animals AND a lot of the general upkeep for the household is something that perhaps should be better balanced. What everyone else has already said isn't untrue though, work first and play later pretty much as responsibilities are responsibilities and you still probably have a lot more freedom than a lot of us do in our daily lives.

Actually I don't....I just like to keep things simple

Work
Clean
Less responsibilities
And get back to what I love doing.

I haven't got freedom to do as I please like everyone on here thinks I do... I just like to do what needs to be done and get back to my hobby.. It's that simple.

People need to loosen up and enjoy them selfs.

House hold responsibilities and your own responsibilities is one thing

But doing other peoples responsibilities and taking care of their messes is another thing.

I mean i think this all started when we had a new dog.... a german shepherd.... And she is such a pain in the ass... I think this is where it all started.

She makes a mess
She is turning the husky mean
She craps and piss on the floor

I it's stressful having her in the house without the husky.. which is getting better.

My sister leave home to be with a friend for a week and we have to take care of her dog... she wanted the bloody thing so why have one if your barely around.

This is what I'm talking about..... the dog is a nuisance and a pain and my sister just leaves her to others to look after.

I have to brake up fights with the husky
I have to clean her mess up
I have to keep her company so she want go mental
And keeping her in check is such a pain...

It's all that damn dogs fault... my moms dog is a nuisance but at least he can go toilet outside and doesn't mind being alone

even if they were a pet someone else brought into the house, I think as long as you're a part of the household then they're as much your responsibility as anyone else's in the house.

Can't say I really agree with this. In my opinion there is very little worse than someone making an independent decision to own a pet and claiming they take full responsibility for said pet, only to proceed to dump that responsibility on other household members who never signed up for it in the first place once they get bored of the pet/ realise it will be hard work. I see this happen a lot. It's the definition of irresponsible. If you decide to get a pet, stay committed or don't get it. Of course ideally everyone in the house would want to share equally responsibility for the pet or not get it, but I suppose in a situation like AF's, even if he didn't want it there's very little he can do to stop his mum or sister bringing in a new dog, and if they do go ahead then they do need to commit a greater amount of responsibility to that dog than AF. Otherwise it's the dog that really suffers, even if it's just that the poor thing is left with a begrudging carer, they can pick up on those things.

So I do sympathize with AF. I brought a dog into my household under the strict condition that I am the sole carer, trainer, walker, feeder, player, friend. And that is what I am, apart from on special occasions, and not just because I'm lazy. It's depressing to say, but if I ever did get too lazy and stopped, my family would probably give the little guy away, and I couldn't blame them, they never asked for him.

In other news I'm really bad at making new friends, like really bad I think. I thought I'd fast become friends with girl last night, but after a few drinks I overheard her say to another girl that she "doesn't understand how people can say colonialism was only a bad thing, and am sick of the usual uni line on it". I couldn't help but interject with "Nah, colonialism was just bad and nothing good came of it". She responded with "but look at India, it was good for India". I said that that was a ridiculous thing to say, and she just got up, sat on the other side of the room and didn't talk to me for the rest of the night! Awky. In hind sight I was a bit blunt, but at the time in my head it didn't sound so bad. :(

Man, whenever I try to make new friends I'm either too friendly and make girls think I'm trying to hit on them (which is true 70% of the time to be honest, but I'd be ok with just friends if it didn't work out) or make guys think I'm gay (both straight and gay guys, which each causes different problems respectively. Maybe it's just how I dress, I wear pink shoes), or I accidentally come across as a strange, depressive autistic (which is exactly what I am to be honest! Albeit a friendly one).

Oh yeah I forgot, I also send newly blossoming friends weird poems which they occasionally misinterpreted as being racist, after which I get put on the ignore list. I should probably stop sending poems to people I don't know that well, it is a bit #crazy.

vashdaman said:
even if they were a pet someone else brought into the house, I think as long as you're a part of the household then they're as much your responsibility as anyone else's in the house.

Can't say I really agree with this. In my opinion there is very little worse than someone making an independent decision to own a pet and claiming they take full responsibility for said pet, only to proceed to dump that responsibility on other household members who never signed up for it in the first place once they get bored of the pet/ realise it will be hard work. I see this happen a lot. It's the definition of irresponsible. If you decide to get a pet, stay committed or don't get it. Of course ideally everyone in the house would want to share equally responsibility for the pet or not get it, but I suppose in a situation like AF's, even if he didn't want it there's very little he can do to stop his mum or sister bringing in a new dog, and if they do go ahead then they do need to commit a greater amount of responsibility to that dog than AF. Otherwise it's the dog that really suffers, even if it's just that the poor thing is left with a begrudging carer, they can pick up on those things.

So I do sympathize with AF. I brought a dog into my household under the strict condition that I am the sole carer, trainer, walker, feeder, player, friend. And that is what I am, apart from on special occasions, and not just because I'm lazy. It's depressing to say, but if I ever did get too lazy and stopped, my family would probably give the little guy away, and I couldn't blame them, they never asked for him.

Thank you.

To be honest my mum is busy with work and she does ask me to look after him while she is at work.... she worked at home at one point but starter work somewhere else .... again I don't mind looking after storm the husky... It's like you said....

When someone gets a pet then gets bored it's the dog who suffers....

We don't neglect them by any means... during the day we are very busy.

It's my sister who leaves her dog in our care while she is with a friend for a week..... It's such a pain.

My sister can make time but she is at that age being rebellious and thinking she knows it all.

vashdaman said:
In other news I'm really bad at making new friends, like really bad I think. I thought I'd fast become friends with girl last night, but after a few drinks I overheard her say to another girl that she "doesn't understand how people can say colonialism was only a bad thing, and am sick of the usual uni line on it". I couldn't help but interject with "Nah, colonialism was just bad and nothing good came of it". She responded with "but look at India, it was good for India". I said that that was a ridiculous thing to say, and she just got up, sat on the other side of the room and didn't talk to me for the rest of the night! Awky. In hind sight I was a bit blunt, but at the time in my head it didn't sound so bad. :(

Man, whenever I try to make new friends I'm either too friendly and make girls think I'm trying to hit on them (which is true 70% of the time to be honest, but I'd be ok with just friends if it didn't work out) or make guys think I'm gay (both straight and gay guys, which each causes different problems respectively. Maybe it's just how I dress, I wear pink shoes), or I accidentally come across as a strange, depressive autistic (which is exactly what I am to be honest! Albeit a friendly one).

Oh yeah I forgot, I also send newly blossoming friends weird poems which they occasionally misinterpreted as being racist, after which I get put on the ignore list. I should probably stop sending poems to people I don't know that well, it is a bit #crazy.

It's ok dude you have us

Interesting discussion about "work vs hobbies", I don't think it's such a simple matter though. We all have our own goals and desires in life and what makes us satisfied with our lives will vary. It could be work, family, financial prosperity and similar things but it could also be having fun, spending time with friends, engaging in our hobbies or anything else really. I don't think you can have an absolute rule about what a person's priorities should be, at the end of the day it's a subjective issue.

I'd say it's ultimately about trying to achieve the balance that suits you. We all need to survive, you can't live without surviving, but for some people just surviving isn't enough. Or perhaps more to the point, the things you need to do to survive can be satisfying for some but not for everyone. Our society favours people who aim for financial success and status based on their job, by doing what they want to do anyway they can survive and additionally pick up the money they need to invest in other things that might enhance their lives. It's more of a problem if what you find satisfying in life is difficult to monetise. There are plenty of people working in less well paid jobs than they could be because it allows them to do what they want.

What I personally find most frustrating is that people can be very closed minded about different ways of life (I'd say more often through ignorance, at least I'd like to believe that). There are a few generally accepted ideas that are "okay", if you're career or family minded then you're pretty much fine, but if you've got a non-standard way of looking at things then people will often treat you as though there's something wrong with you. People will often say things like "the world doesn't work that way" and it's nice that they're trying to help but in reality "the way the world works" is changeable and a construct of people in the first place. I think it's worse to suggest that people should give up their beliefs/goals and conform to the world they live in rather than stay true to what they believe and try to find a place in the world (even if that ultimately leads to a more difficult life). People can't always choose how they feel so giving up their beliefs/goals isn't necessarily a viable option.

As to the original topic that brought this up, I agree with the people that say talking things over is a good idea. You'll often find there's more going on than you may be aware of and at least working something out together might be more satisfying than feeling you've been forced into something. It's quite possible that it won't work out so neatly but I think it's better to try.

vashdaman said:
In hind sight I was a bit blunt, but at the time in my head it didn't sound so bad. :(
Based on what you said, I think the issue might be that you pointed out that she was being stupid and wrong but didn't explain why it was stupid and wrong. If you do the former you're really just being a jerk, if you do the latter you might be treated as a jerk (people often fail to note the difference between the two) but at least you'll know you tried.

Unrelated to your case but probably don't use the phrase "stupid and wrong" either. People don't often seem to take it well for some reason.

I dunno, would you really want to be friends with someone with such an obviously incorrect opinion on colonialism anyway? :D

More seriously, I often find myself having to choose between what I think is right and keeping things harmonious with the people I'm being introduced to. I always choose to defend my personal beliefs, so a road of broken bridges and forsaken relationships stretches on for miles behind me wherever I go. It doesn't matter if it's something small (variety is the spice of life, after all) but if someone wants to parade hurtful or stupid opinions around and expect me to agree then I'm forced to either argue with them - which isn't very fun - or pretend I agree, which isn't an opinion.

R

Edit: I meant it isn't an option.

Rui said:
I dunno, would you really want to be friends with someone with such an obviously incorrect opinion on colonialism anyway? :D

More seriously, I often find myself having to choose between what I think is right and keeping things harmonious with the people I'm being introduced to. I always choose to defend my personal beliefs, so a road of broken bridges and forsaken relationships stretches on for miles behind me wherever I go. It doesn't matter if it's something small (variety is the spice of life, after all) but if someone wants to parade hurtful or stupid opinions around and expect me to agree then I'm forced to either argue with them - which isn't very fun - or pretend I agree, which isn't an opinion.

R
Well said

Rui said:

R

Yeah pretty much all of this is spot on. And you're right finding out that someone has a opinion like that, it is a bit of warning sign certainly, but ignorant people can change and learn sometimes maybe, and I guess more importantly I've been worrying if I've been too dismissive of people in the past. It's something I always struggle with, to know whether I'm being too quick to dismiss people, or if I'm just wasting time hanging around with someone who I'll never truly connect with. Although in my recent experience of giving people third or fourth chances, I usually just find out my first instincts were right most of the time. Even if they're lovely people, we just don't have a vibe.

Although on the flip side I feel I've perhaps been dismissed by a couple people I rather had hope for recently too. And I can only speculate that the cause of it was genuine misunderstandings (usually stemming from the aforementioned poems. I suspect one person thought I was being romantic when I wasn't and another thought I was being racist when I wasn't). So I do know how rubbish it feels to be unfairly dismissed and not given a second chance to clear the air.

Well, if you recognise that the poems freak people out it's an easy thing to fix (though I'm bewildered at the one which was interpreted as racism). Maybe write the poems but save sharing them until the relationship has developed a bit more :)

R

vashdaman said:
I think most of the time it's that people don't like their opinions being challenged and don't want to discuss things in any greater depth than might lead them to question those beliefs. Being willing to discuss your beliefs with people of opposing viewpoints in a civilized manner is the dividing line between reasonable people and unreasonable ones. Frankly I think you got the best outcome there, as I'd much rather the latter excused themselves from conversations than carried on because I'm certainly not interested in talking to them. Hell, imagine if political debates were like that - "The Rt Hon. gentleman has offended me by disagreeing with me so I'm not going to talk to him any more".

Well Vash, if I end up in London next year I'm certain we can have some interesting discussions...

Back