The General Conversation Area

I had a random thought this morning, in relation to Aniplex and their imports. Being a Japanese import, the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movie blu-rays obviously lack any kind of BBFC certification. However, AniplexUSA's website specifically mentions the UK as a country that the movies can be sold to, so it's not really us importing to an extent because we're being specifically targeted as consumers.

So does this mean that there's a loop-hole due to AniplexUSA not actually selling in the UK (UP1 aside) is a loophole or that they're just being slightly below board? Or do BBFC regulations only apply for for products sold in actual UK stores (physical or online)?

It's a loophole, and short of banning all importing of video products outright there isn't much the outdated BBFC rules can do about it. It's no different from Rightstuf or Amazon.com shipping video products to the UK (it may explicitly state the countries on the site but shops do too in their shipping rules).

So long as they're not based in the UK there aren't any problems with what they're doing. If you want an even greyer area, IIRC some of the UK companies sold small amounts of product from France or Japan at conventions with no BBFC certificate. And many shops in central London sell unclassified imports (with the complication that they rarely have English subtitles, so they would be of very limited use to a lot of people).

R

For what it's worth, here's the official spiel:
The Video Recordings Act 1984 (VRA) makes it illegal to supply any video or DVD within the UK which has not been age rated by the BBFC. There are some exceptions to this (for example, educational works or works predominantly concerned with sport, religion and music) but all feature films and TV programmes must be age rated.

Although it is not a customs offence to import an unclassified video or DVD it must be for your personal use only and the content must not breach the UK law (for example, The Obscene Publications Acts 1959 and 1964, Protection of Children Act 1978).

You may therefore purchase unclassified videos or DVDs whilst abroad, provided they contain no illegal material and are solely for personal use.

My body is sore, first time riding a proper bike for ages and I ended up doing a near 6 hour ride along the canal towpath from great bedwyn railway station to the main station in reading. By train it is 31 miles, but by canal it would be more as its not as straight as the railway (and add in all the changing sides).

Did well did the machine, although rather not-suitable for the type of ground I was riding
9482322616_aa113834b5_z.jpg

I will be sore in the morning.

Rui said:
It's a loophole, and short of banning all importing of video products outright there isn't much the outdated BBFC rules can do about it. It's no different from Rightstuf or Amazon.com shipping video products to the UK (it may explicitly state the countries on the site but shops do too in their shipping rules).

So long as they're not based in the UK there aren't any problems with what they're doing. If you want an even greyer area, IIRC some of the UK companies sold small amounts of product from France or Japan at conventions with no BBFC certificate. And many shops in central London sell unclassified imports (with the complication that they rarely have English subtitles, so they would be of very limited use to a lot of people).

R
Your example does connect to what I was thinking of - MangaUK's manufacturing places are in Poland right? If they sold from there...surely we could get around BBFC costs?

I think Manga being based in the UK would make that look pretty shifty. If they moved to Poland and switched to online-only distribution though...why not? :D

They seem very focused on the mainstream audience, so it might be more likely for a smaller company.

R

Warning: Self indulgent life rantings ahead. I just need to vent this.

Well, I got home from work and had a nervous breakdown. I knew going from working 8 easy hours per week to working those plus another 50 tough hours per week was going to be a shock to the system, but I didn't expect it to be this big a shock. I think what finally pushed me over the edge was a (I knew it was going to be this month, just not the exact dates.) semi unexpected visit from a friend who now lives abroad, and is going to be staying at ours (me+boyfriend) tonight and tomorrow. I've had a really busy week, and somehow ended up going out every evening as well, and for once I was just hoping for a quiet evening in to relax. Don't get me wrong, this guy's a really good friend and I really enjoy hanging out with him, but it's just too much for me to deal with right now. I'm currently in the bedroom with a very large glass of whisky, crying my eyes out and actually too scared to go through to the living room where they are because the thought of actually interacting with people right now is too terrifying...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that st owly. I think everyone gets like that once in a while when things get overwhelming, at least I know I do. You just need some time to yourself. But sometimes it's the opposite and you feel like you need time with a friend, and that be just as hard when there's no one around *tumbleweed blows past me*. Hope you feel fabulous again soon!

I know that feeling st_owly. When I started my apprenticeship, I went from working 0 hours a week to working 35. It hit my system too hard and by the time I got home and was able to sit down for a bit, it was time to go to bed to get up for work in the morning. I absolutely despised it and since leaving, have decided that I only ever want to work part-time for as long as I can avoid full time.

Are you feeling any better today Owly?

I can get anxiety like a mofo which added onto my depression can be ghastly to have to go through so I can't even imagine what having a nervous breakdown would be like. Try and get used to the working hours and put your social life/friends on the back burner until you feel more used to it then slowly bring your friends and stuff back into it. It always seems to be harder for people to adjust to having less free time for themselves, friends etc at first once they've got a job, even had time off work and had to come back, but once you accept you can't do everything and see everyone as much, it becomes easier.

Also, I'm trying to do like a two week food behavioural thing i.e. try to average between 1500-1800 cals a day and well this is day one and it bloody sucks. I'm SO hungry :(

Tachi said:
Yeah i'm part of ford ka owners club

http://www.**-oc.com

There should be a fiesta owners club on the web somewhere, but i know alot of the mk5 fiesta workings are compatible with the KA so chances are if you can't find fiesta parts, look at KA's and mondeos for replacements.
(only a little late)
Joined Zsoc a few days back, gonna start getting strut braces etc for mine. Annoyed that I missed Ford Fair though. Seen the pictures looked like a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you're feeling a bit better today st_owly.
I can only imagine what it's like trying to adjust to such a sudden change :( I'm sure you'll get into the swing of it and find a way to manage everything the way you'd like too. If you need a breather then you should just say to people, I'm sure they would understand. Besides, you need to do what is best for you. Make time for yourself when you feel you need it. :)

I have spoken to one of my bosses (I have 2 jobs now) and she's agreed to let me have the day off tomorrow to recover a bit. I am planning to get on a train and go and see a friend in York. I need to get out of Edinburgh and away from the Fringe madness.

I dislike having time off from work on holiday when I'm not on holiday.

I end up spending money to stop myself getting to bored

Kite said:
I dislike having time off from work on holiday when I'm not on holiday.

I end up spending money to stop myself getting to bored
A bind with which I am most familiar. My strategy is not to have the money to squander in the first place.

I'm pleased to report that I'm doing much better now. My boss gave me Tuesday off work and I got myself out of Edinburgh and away from the busy and stress here. I went to York and met my friend, and we spent the entire day drinking together. The hangover of death the next morning was totally worth it.

Sometimes its the best thing, to just get a change of scenery and get a few drinks down you, i'm looking forward to going out tonight and tomorrow, will be nice to just get away from everything for abit :)

Walked into a minefield this morning with the boss and a team leader, safe to say that everythings sorted out but not without some harsh words.

Off to Halifax on saturday :) hopefully have a laugh with my cousin and our grandparents

Anyone else upto much?

I went out for a day-trip down to Weymouth today.

Last day of my holiday tomorrow, then back to work (and most likely hundreds of emails) on Monday.

What to do on Saturday at the moment is a big question mark

Back