The General Conversation Area

Baggie_Saiyan said:
Sooooo I failed my theory for the 6th time. Yes 6th time! I pass all of them at home and IDK what happens when I go in, and this seems to be me with exams in general, back in a-levels, I done 5 mock papers in front of the teacher for Maths, got A's in them, come exam I got a flipping D, my heart is racing a mile a minute in exams, do you guys think I should see someone? 'cuz at this rate it's not looking good, I still have year 2 and 3 uni exams and then after that I got the professional accounting exams. Although I did pass Y1 first time and quite well actually, but that was down to it being a more relaxed environment and not feeling like a exam at all.
Well, talking to someone is usually a step to understanding and recovery/improvement - depending on the situation. But it's also important that you talk to someone you trust. Have you spoken about it to those near-and-dear (Family, best friend etc.)? Have you been given advice by a lecturer/teacher at all, and has it been followed-up?

To me, it sounds like you break under the pressure of finality - especially in "make-or-break" situations. But were these mock tests done with the rest of the class? Maybe it's more of a competitive-anxiety, even though you don't realize that you're only fighting yourself (?).

When I did my theory test, all I noticed was computers, going through the software and having a few other people around - The room was quite small as well, rather than a hall etc. We're your tests (exams and theory tests) in a large/small room?
What were your thoughts on when your pulse raced? (Did it go blank at times? Was it slow working-out? Did you get a chance to proof read your answers? Thinking about "what-ifs" and outside thoughts? etc.)

I'm no professional, but I don't mind talking about it. Just don't expect an accurate hypothesis - I'll see what I can suggest.
I'm off to Dublin for a few days tomorrow. Looking forward to it immensely.
Sounds exciting. Historic expedition? Sampling the culture? Going to an event?

Chaz said:
Well, talking to someone is usually a step to understanding and recovery/improvement - depending on the situation. But it's also important that you talk to someone you trust. Have you spoken about it to those near-and-dear (Family, best friend etc.)? Have you been given advice by a lecturer/teacher at all, and has it been followed-up?

To me, it sounds like you break under the pressure of finality - especially in "make-or-break" situations. But were these mock tests done with the rest of the class? Maybe it's more of a competitive-anxiety, even though you don't realize that you're only fighting yourself (?).

When I did my theory test, all I noticed was computers, going through the software and having a few other people around - The room was quite small as well, rather than a hall etc. We're your tests (exams and theory tests) in a large/small room?
What were your thoughts on when your pulse raced? (Did it go blank at times? Was it slow working-out? Did you get a chance to proof read your answers? Thinking about "what-ifs" and outside thoughts? etc.)

I spoke to one of my close teachers, he understood the problem but was honest with me and said there was not much he could do other then to tell me to pretend he was standing over me whilst I done the exam.

The theory test was in a small room, whereas my uni exams where in a giant sports hall with all my friends around me and I did not feel nervous at all, it had the feel of a mock test (when your in class with friends next to you)

Yeah, whilst I do the exams, all sorts of scenarios go through my mind and I have that butterfly feeling throughout, /:

This has been a recurrence in my life. In the 11+ I panicked and missed a double page spread which meant I ended up at a state school, I did quite well for my GCSE's and the exam environment was very much like Uni, however I moved to a private school for a-level. where the classes were a quarter of what I was used too and I ended up having to take an extra year and all the teachers feedback was the same, "he is fine in class and does well on the mock tests but we are unsure how his exam grades are so low". So I guess I feel the pressure in small rooms/groups and then I start to panic. This does feels great to get it all out thanks Chaz.

I am almost ready for my practical but like with everything else in my life, I seem to fall at the final hurdle, :|

Well, I think you can ask people (either the uni or the test center) about maybe having your own individual room with a moderator available - probably more available if you let them know about the request a good time before the exams/tests are conducted. It's been done in the past and for unique circumstances - maybe letting them know your track-record (good ability, poor results) will help them understand the situation and strengthen your argument. Thing is, you need to push your issue to them before they know or will accept any condition.
But the size of room or who's there doesn't seem like the issue, and by what you said it may even make the atmosphere more dense/stale.

Here's maybe a few tips that might help you out with the pressure:
1) Probably the most common-place advice anyone can give - Whenever you start to think too much on something else other than the question, look away or close your eyes and take in a deep breath. If necessary, take 3 deep breaths and clear the mind. Using 5 sec of clearing is better than wasting 30 secs+ worrying. You can also do something like adjusting you posture/seating just to "click off, click on again."
2) Take a glass/bottle of water in with you, or ask for one before the test. It preferably needs to be cold to freshen yourself - a little shock might be enough to jump-start the thinking process and revive your focus. Also, remember the Drench adverts :D - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roYmSjqs-0M
3) Taking these exams isn't going to knock you down. They'll help you step-up to a different platform, but you won't fall through the roof. Going into the room knowing that all you need to do is succeed is a boost to the ego. And having some of that on days like these ACTually isn't a bad thing. You have the tools, and you know that it can be done - like in Year 1. So why not just "step-up to the platform" and go all out?
4) Always go back to the start and carefully check that you haven't misses anything. Name, date, missed questions, re-read the questions and checking your working out/answers.
5) If it's a "question" based on reactions or awareness - Do what you got to do and if you missed it, don't look back on it. It has literally passed you, so just keep your eyes forward and catch the next one. (Just don't "flip the bird" when the crazy driver in the simulation cuts you off. :D )

That's generally all I can think of to help in the situation like that. If any of that helps, then look forward to getting that new license and shiny certificates.
Act Out.

I managed to make my Divisional Director happy today by going out of my way to get him a car pass for camp. At least it saved me hanging around doing not a lot this afternoon (had visitors in the kitchen so I couldn't do any studying)

December silly season is here from tomorrow, although this year I'm not under the worry of losing my job or rushing around like a headless chicken doing overtime (mainly as I got fed up with the on average 2/3 month wait between working and getting paid it)

I can't believe it was nearly a year ago I was in Jersey for an enjoyable long weekend

Hello you guys :)

My work saga continues! Some arses here are being nice to my face then grassing about pointless crap to my manager who is taking them as actual issues! Literally the only acceptable issue is my phone use but I blame getting an iphone 2 weeks ago and wanting to use it all the time :p

Like apparently I talk too much and when am negative it has a knock on effect bringing the whole team down. Everyone I've told so far has scoffed at that as like me, knows thats not true. I've now been told I need to try and keep morale up but to stop with the talking. Can't see how I'm meant to morale boost if I can't talk?!
Also been told I leave my desk too much and that I have to start using a larger bottle to fill with water so I'm not going to the kitchen area for refills! My kidneys are a pain so I have to pee maybe once an hour if I have been drinking? Well manager knows about my kidneys yet still raised my leaving the desk as an issue in my 121!

Apparently I'm in the one bad team this company currently has. Just my luck. Escape my old place to go on a team not that different from it -_-

Oooooh! I also has an Instagram: _daniellelouisee

Follow me? Also give me yours if anyone is happy sharing? :)

I hope you're all well and Happy December!!!

That sounds like a pretty strict place to work! I think people would riot in my office if anyone was told something like that, though to be fair, people get tetchy even when the coke fridge or coffee machine runs out.

I'd have thought staff morale would always be first and foremost!

Added you back Owly :) <3

Yeah it's ridiculous. The only thing I agree with is the phone use but everyone does the same I just have the bad luck to get caught/grassed on. Manager always takes personal calls, even when she's sat inbetween the team. If I talked a lot then I'd get why that's an issue as I'd be distracting people from work but I rarely talk and when I do it's always when I'm spoken too first.
The leaving the desk for the kitchen or toilet really annoys me whenever I think about it. It doesn't effect my work or anyone elses and they even wanted to sign me off on my role a month early and at the same time as people who have been here longer!

People who have been on the team for a while said we're the only team like this. Thank God the pay is good (£300 more a month or something close!) otherwise it would of been better the devil you know and I should never of left. It's a shame as I love the people on my team even if some of whom I love are the ones who whinge about petty stuff like that!

You seem to be such a sunny, lovely girl to me Danielle so don't change just because people like to have a moan! It's always easy to pick on the new person and it sounds thoroughly undeserved. Stick at it and I'm sure they'll come to appreciate you. I honestly think some people have nothing better to do.

Sending much love your way <3

I've just recently bought Tiree (the bunny) a pen to live in instead of her cage which was really too small after she got bigger. The thing is she just won't stop chewing the bars! She does it worse in this pen than her cage even though it's got so much more space! She has loads of toys and things to chew, her food and water are constantly full. I've got a sort of make-your-own-cage kit coming since I'm looking into getting her a friend, so hopefully these two things will calm her down but it is so annoying in the meantime. I love her to bits and would never dream of giving her up but I have insomnia and an average night for me consists of not sleeping until around 4am, so to be woken up around 7am with bar chewing is making me ill!

Anyone know much about bunnies? Do you think more space and a friend would help? I feel sorry for her since she must be frustrated. Just hope I'm doing right by her. I should be getting another rabbit next month around the time of my 21st, but until then I really need her to calm down. I'm hopeful she's just adjusting to her new space.

Kite said:
A303 Stonehenge tunnel in the news again...

...£5 on it being dropped by the next government for being too expensive.
You could say that the A303 tunnel project is doomed to become…

…the A404 tunnel project.

Awww thanks Pandora :)

Yeah I genuinely don't feel that I could ever negatively effect the team, even if I was in a bad mood. My Manager is ex call centre so that might be it too. She is keeping tabs on all the teams lateness even being 2 mins late, no joke, she's put 8:02 down for someone.
End of this month is end of my probation, then I definitely have and keep this job. I'm therefore biting my lip, holding in my personality a bit and proving her and these whingers wrong. Barely any words from me, phone has disappears bar my 10 min break and lunch and I am "holding it in" longer than usual to reduce loo trips which I shouldn't have to do but meh. Even sitting next to her or on her bank of desks so she can see herself I'm not like what people say so when these arses do moan about me again, she can be all "no Danielle's not" since all she's been able to take is peoples words so far since she sees nowt.

I'm off 9th,10th and 15th - 17th this month. Cannot wait! I'm busy for the next 3 weeks too! :O

Xmas Markets and Byron Burger on the 6th, Xmas Do on the 12th, Comedy Store for a Birthday on the 19th then Christmas meal at Jamies Italian on the 20th!

What are everyone elses plans? :)

TGIF!

I'm so glad I'm off work 9th & 10th and 15th-17th!!!

I went off the food rails yesterday. Uber pig pig lunch. Trying to uber behave until the 12th now, salads and savse smoothies and all that lol.

Have fun Danielle!

After about 2 weeks (I think) I'm finally able to use Crunchyroll again! Yet again, down to my technological failings. It kept saying stuff about shockwave and I honestly had no idea how to fix it. I only have a little netbook and it just needed a good maintenance check, so my dad came round today to look through it for me. I'm such a fail with all this and I'm only 20 :lol:

I think in the future I'm going to struggle to adapt. My dad is 50 and he understands it all so much better than me! I was the child who would rather go to the library to get books for research than go near a computer. I didn't really use the internet until I was 16!

I have to get physically dragged into keeping up with technology. I don't like change haha!

Last Sunday night I had terrible tooth ache and ear ache, woke up every hour or so with my pillow soaked in sweat. Fell asleep at 4am and woke up and went to work and the pain had subsided so I didn't think much of it. Last night I started to get the ache again so I went to bed so I didn't have to feel the pain, managed to sleep well but this morning it came back with vengeance. Took a few Anadin to get through the day but the pain was seemingly stronger than the pain relief lol. Upped the strength of my pain killers and seems to be ok atm (I know, the pain is only being masked by the drugs).

The thing is, I haven't been to the dentist in about 15 years so I don't have a dentist. I wasn't raised in an environment where Dental visits were seen as important, we'd go maybe once a year and even then my mom didn't get hers checked, so I let this carry on in to my teens and adult life and as I haven't had any teeth issues I just never saw the point. I phoned the dentist my nephew goes to, and he loves it, so if a 3 year old likes certain dentist then it can't be that bad.

Got an appointment on Monday afternoon to see a dentist. Think it's my wisdom teeth playing up (the bastards!) and its affecting the nerves around the jaw thus the really bad ear ache too. I'm terrified of going, especially when they'll ask "just why the hell haven't you been in so long?" but I've accepted it needs to be done, and I need to have these teeth out. I remember reading a story a few years back about a man who refused to ever go to the dentist. His wife mentioned how his tooth pain got so bad that he was screaming out in agony during the night but he still didn't go. When he finally gave in they discovered he had an infection from his teeth that caused septicaemia and he died shortly after admittance in to the hospital. Now of course I never want that to happen, but with the internet you can't help fearing the worst case scenario!

Anyone had their wisdom teeth out? Never had a tooth removed so what's the usual process, x-ray, injections, drill and yank lol?

I wouldn't worry about the dentist :) most are really kind and won't do anything that isn't necessary. I'm pretty sure they won't question you, they'll be used to people being scared. Maybe mention yourself that you've not been and you're a bit anxious and they'll probably take you through it step by step.

I've had teeth removed when I had some growing above them that needed room to come down. I don't have wisdom teeth, so I don't know about those. I had an x-ray for my jaw recently and I saw my wisdom teeth there, but they've not come in. But when I was just getting normal teeth removed I got a few injections and they just removed them. No drills or anything like that. Didn't hurt one bit. I barely remember the experience, that's how little it affected me and it was only a few years ago. The only uncomfortable bit is the noise. I also had a tooth removed (when I was a fair bit younger) that was wobbly but just wouldn't leave! So they just numbed me and pulled it. Took two seconds, barely even worth numbing. Please don't let any of this scare you! It honestly doesn't hurt and I'm a big crybaby!

Hope this helped a little :oops:

Back