The General Conversation Area

You've actually got the new job to go to now right? Just pack the old one in if you're no longer dependant on a reference from them.

Warning: My advice may not be considered "professional" by current societal standards.

Ayase, I totally get you. They currently have me on sept 1st start date which they're now trying to amend as per the 7 weeks I've been made to take here.

If where I'm going couldn't/can't change my contract from 4 to 7 weeks for my start date, I will be leaving where I am now for sure and just calling in sick those last 3 weeks as I'm not sure if just walking out and not coming back is safe enough for me legal wise or other?

There's no way I'm risking losing this new job.
I've spent 7 and a half years in this office environment where I've not progressed AT ALL. I didn't get a payrise for one appraisal when I should of as per my rating, I was bullied in my old department to a despicable level (being called a hypochondriac before and after a lumpectomy op to see if a lump in my breat was cancerous etc), being passed down for senior roles in my old dept due to interview sabotage such as "we notice you read the paper at your desk on lunch, would you deem this senior behaviour?", being called names by my current Manager to other people in this dept who don't even know me behind my back etc etc. Bleh. Such a crap company to work for, it's all down to personal opinion not professional.

Danielle, after reading your previous post and the crap you dealt with, if the new job flat out tells you they need you to start of the 1st and you think this is a job you will be at for a long time then go for it and walk out.

The only issues that could occur are things that may arise somewhere down the line (for example): You leave the new job on bad terms and they refuse to give you a reference, you will now probably have the last two jobs on your CV refusing to give you a reference. Do not make any decision of walking out until they give you the final word on the matter, pre-empting their decision and walking out could bite you in the **** when they decide "hang on, if she is willing to walk out on them and not fulfill her obligations, will she do the same to us down the line" etc

Also, calling in sick for the three weeks while working may have effects on your tax as officially you'll then be registered with two companies so the tax man may screw you up. Also, if you just walk out the current employer may withhold your pay due to unfulfillment of your contractual obligations.

Yeah that was my thought about bailing early, that the new place might think I could bail on them just as "easy". I managed to get a reply off someone higher up saying he doesn't think it'll be a problem and I should get an amended contract so I feel a bit more at ease, I just want to get the contract and hand it back before I feel in my safety zone again :p

I hope I find what I want where I'm going. I would really love to climb the ladder and finally get some friends. I don't really have any anymore and speak to all of you lot more than any IRL "friends".

I hate how cold it goes in the middle of the night! By the time the temperature drops and i'm asleep, I'm cold and freezing when I do wake up in the night. I'm sure I'm getting sick. Anyone else finding it's cold at night? When's autumn meant to start? I love autumn and winter, mainly because I love and suit the clothes better :p :)

I know what you mean about the friends thing. I'm fortunate in that I love my own company :) had quite a few in my old job but I'm the type who loses contact easily and then ignores people because I think "y that's my past". Unfortunately my current company is mostly full of 45/50 year old people so not much opportunity to make new ones :( I'll survive look

Yeah in my old department I had more "friends" as the team I was in was larger and more a part of the other teams in it. We'd do drinks at least once a week, which turned into once a month. The one I'm in now is segregated and small and we never go out. Both occasions though, all except for one person, none were never a friend outside of work. Like I wouldn't chat to any or do anything outside of payday drinks so I can't constitute them being mates.

I'd love to make some friends at this new place to have a smidge of a social life as for the most part, I'm totally fine not having friends, I do enough to fill my days (watching tv is something! hehe) but I do need to unwind every blue moon which is a trip to the pub or something like that.

Yeah with my group we'd be out two/three times a week. There was about six of us. When I lost the job there I couldn't afford to go out but they kept inviting me but I didn't want to be a financial burden on them so I kept making excuses. When I got my current job we went out a few times but I realised I no longer fitted in so it was my decision to cut ties.

Fortunately i have my best mate and his family who are like a second family. I only see them a couple times a month at most and he doesn't like going out or drinking but outside of the time I spend with my nieces its my favorite time of the month!

At least you have a best mate you see remotely frequent :) My best friend is officially my Mum or my bf lol.

TGIF! Anyone have anything good planned for their weekend? I am having a much needed lazy one filled with anime and the show Revolution. I'm having tea at my Mums on Sunday and watching Made In Chelsea NYC with her. That will be the highlight of it hehe :p

Tonight im round said mates for some pizza and 80's horror films (Without Warning and Curtains), re-aquainting myself with a little something called football on Saturday (thank christ the football season is back) then family meal at my sisters on sunday with my mom, sister and nieces, always love sunday as i get to spend ages with my nieces who are my world (7 and 5yo)

Never heard of either of those. I was born late 80's so my taste of scary from the 80's is The Lost Boys. Duno how I could of ever been scared of that film now hehe. It's one of my all time favourite though!
I love the 80's romance ones too like Pretty In Pink, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Say Anything :D

I had pizza back on Tuesday, my favourite takeaway now is one in Burnage. So so nice. If they did their own double decadence base and cumberland sausage as a topping, I'd no longer need Dominos haha.

Asda have pulled their own Dominos DD base and the Pizza Huts hot dog crust so I may brave/test those one day :p

Lol I was born 1986, Horror films are what we always watch for a laugh, nothing beats a good slasher! Breakfast Club is awesome, haven't watched the others though, but know of 16 candles!

I cannot bear to spend the price that Dominos charge for pizza so I use my local who do a buy 1 get 1 free for £10 (medium pizzas). If ever I order (about once every few months) it feeds me for a couple of days (cold pizza for breakfast and lunch at work, nothing beats it!)

Vox, if you manage to try it before me, let me know what it's like please and I'll do the same!

Sadly the only DD base pizza Asda currently do is like a meat feast one and I don't like really meaty pizzas so most/all of those toppings will be getting picked off hahaha. I think it's only available in the massive Asda's or online as I have a smaller one right near me and they've never sold em :(

Yeah my one does an 18 inch pizza for £11, or 3 10 inches with two toppings for the same price. All 10 inch pizzas are £6, going up like £2 per size up with £1.50 added for stuffed crust. Not many casual/non franchise takeaways do that near me so they're goddly! :p Yeah it's gross that I can buy two of the 3 10 inch deals for the same price I'd pay for like one pizza and a side at dominos. Bleh, minging.

I'm somewhat dreading attempting to leave my job when the time comes soon enough, purely because A. i'll need to give them notice(though the shop i work at here is pretty lenient with it all and B. They seem to rely on myself a little too much(i'm doing supervisor work as a CTM, though i am getting paid as such too). Still i need out of here, i've been working in the shop for about 8 years total if you include my summer work during uni, and it's the worst decision i made when i finished uni.
Now that my adwords certification is nearly over though, i'm hoping i can get something out of it. Have a potential client already and i'm still about 2 weeks from sitting my exam, so there is hope. I just want something with potential, and something that feels satisfying to work on. Oh, and it also means i don't need to search for jobs only to be dashed by "Do you have experience? no? lol, bugger off" and getting stupidly stressed.

Arbalest, I feel you on the job front. Clocks a ticking and I'm still being delagated for everything in place of my senior and given work they can't finish in time for a deadline etc. Bleh. Their own hard luck if I leave and then they can't handle anything lol.

I am gutted over Robin Williams. Depression needs to be highlighted much more than it does. As a sufferer myself there is nothing worse that "can't you just be happy?" comments. Oh wait, yes there is "you're not sad, you're always happy". Yeah, I get both from people lol.

Just goes to show the happiest among us can hide so much hurt and cloudyness inside. My heart goes out to his wife and daughter Zelda :( I'll be watching Mrs Doubtfire or Hook probably in memory the way I watched Drop Dead Fred after Rik.

The news of Robin Williams is just horrible :( I have depression too. I was at counselling just yesterday, so this really hit home with me. It's the most difficult thing anyone can face and hearing this made me cry.
There is so much love for him, he'll be so missed. He made the world that little bit brighter.

RIP Robin Williams. Only heard the news this morning. Quite a few months with celebs dying what with Rik Mayall, Philip Seymour Hoffman and now Robin.

Ryo Chan said:
surprised this isn't on the news page seeing he was a big anime supporter.
As a mod you could move it to the news page if you want (ANN had it on their main page today afterall).

I dunno, I've thought it was weird that gaming websites reported on it mainly because of his daughter being named after a certain Princess, or the fact that she and him were in adverts for said franchise's 25th anniversary.

Back