The General Conversation Area

My 3 year 16-25 railcard expires next Friday, it's an end of an era (for me, a sign of no-longer being a "youth")

The network railcard seems like a good deal for weekends, but for weekdays it will probably only be useful for afternoon/evening trips to London.

644523_10151353633032213_1883641162_n.jpg

Well thats the stripes done, just awaiting the window tints in the post and the back will be limo black, you wont be able to see the blue grid on the back window so when its night time i can have the equalizer on the back window reacting to the music and you'll only see blue bars going up and down, the footwell blue lights also on and the customized interior i have already done..... together it will just finish the look i'm going for :) very pleased with it so far, Just the tints left ^____^

Then it'll be a case of clearing out the boot of all the rubbish and keeping the interior clean.

vashdaman said:
ayase said:
and after two weeks without my possessions I find myself torrenting anime I already own .
Anime you already own (and I assume seen too)!? I know this is AUKN and we all hate pirate-ism and everything here, but well...your a more disciplined man than I in many ways.
It's more that I felt like watching certain things which I used to be able to just pick off a shelf, but now would have to get a flight back to the UK, drive to the storage place, open my storage container and root through dozens of boxes to find. Re-downloading is a much easier option.

Car is certainly looking very sporty Tach! Do keep an eye out for rot and sort it as soon as it appears - My mam has just had to scrap her Ka because of corrosion that would have cost more to weld up than the car was worth. I've done the same to two Fiestas. I like Fords but would be the first to admit they're total rotboxes.

On a related note I found a car graveyard in France today - Looks like it was a small scrapyard winding down a wooded hillside track which has long since been abandoned and turned into a hangout by local kids / teenagers who'd broken the lock on the gate. Didn't look like anybody had been around to care about trespassers since about 1979, given the amount of abandoned property here that's hardly surprising. What started out as wonder when I found a couple of Renault 4s and an original Citroen D and a DS had me virtually weeping when I found what was left of a once beautiful Peugeot 202 bent round a tree half way down a cliff.

Y'know, I used to really like FUNimation's dubs. Some of them used to be really good but, am I the only one thinking now that the quality of their dubs has really gone downhill in the last 2-3 years? A lot of their actors just don't seem to be y'know, acting any more and their casting decisions seem absolutely insane (like keeping Greg Ayres in a job).

The quality of their scripts has become awful (compare Geneon's season 1 dub of Shakugan no Shana, to flashbacks to that season in Shakugan no Shana II and you can see what I mean) and too many of their voices sound emotionless and sped up, like fitting the words into the lip flaps is all they care about. I also watched a dub clip from A Certain Scientific Railgun and the voices just didn't the characters at all - not even from a "Not a soundalike!" perspective, but as a whole. When I was watching their Shakugan no Shana stuff, I tried the dub and ended up going to the original Japanese within a couple of minutes without ever turning back.

Now, Viz Media's Tiger & Bunny - now that is a good dub.

Joshawott said:
Y'know, I used to really like FUNimation's dubs. Some of them used to be really good but, am I the only one thinking now that the quality of their dubs has really gone downhill in the last 2-3 years? A lot of their actors just don't seem to be y'know, acting any more and their casting decisions seem absolutely insane (like keeping Greg Ayres in a job).
I do agree with this. I think quite a lot of it is the fact that they keep re-using the same bloody cast for most of their dubs. I'm sick of hearing the likes of Todd Haberkorn and Brittney Karbowski in EVERYTHING, casting Greg Ayres in anything also adds to the wound.
Joshawott said:
Now, Viz Media's Tiger & Bunny - now that is a good dub.
Fully agree, Viz seem to use a wider variety of Voice Actors compared to the other companies, and at least tried to get the characters to sound like their Japanese counterparts.

ayase said:
and after two weeks without my possessions I find myself torrenting anime I already own .
A lot of the time I do this for anything which is released by Sentai because of their HORRIBLE big yellow subs, and more recently their ****** video (Mawaru Penguindrum). Also do it for things which are sub locked.
Actually sod it, 99% of the time I buy an anime it's because I either liked the show and want to have the dub to watch, or I'm blindly watching something. If I watch with subs, usually I'll go with the BD rips. I like my styled subtitles, better translations and fancy karaoke.

John Eric Bentley's Fire Emblem (Tiger & Bunny) has to be my favourite anime dub casting of the last 10 years. He sounds almost exactly like Kenjiro Tsuda's performance.

I forgot that T&B part 2 came out next week until today. I'll be pissed if Kaze haven't sorted their **** out and left all the songs untranslated again, as well as leaving the bluray without any extras. The only things stopping me buying Viz Media's releases are the physical extras we get, and the fact that Viz translated the OP/ED credits. Personally I prefer them in Japanese since the fonts/size they use when translating are usually really intrusive and ugly. Funi are usually bad for this.

Speaking of Viz, the dubs for Fate Zero and Accel World premiere on neon alley this week (Seriously, UK friggin when?). I personally cannot wait for both, especially Fate/Zero since it was such an amazing show, and the dub clip seemed pretty good.

I just pre-ordered my T&B 2, as I reminded myself xD.

I was also browsing on Kaze's website because I was bored and was reminded at how much I want Beelzebub to be licensed. Viz Media probably won't touch it due to Beel's baby peen though, which means it won't get dubbed and no one will risk a sub-only release 60+ episode series...

Joshawott said:
I was also browsing on Kaze's website because I was bored and was reminded at how much I want Beelzebub to be licensed. Viz Media probably won't touch it due to Beel's baby peen though, which means it won't get dubbed and no one will risk a sub-only release 60+ episode series...
At least being in France and, you know, speaking French they don't have to worry about waiting for a show to be picked up and dubbed in another territory of the same Language, they can just License a show, dub it and shove it out on home video - probably one of the reasons why they have a wider variety of shows. I daresay the bigger French market also helps.

Whilst I envy the amount of releases and the speed at which the French get them, if Kaze's releases over there are anything like they are here then I can't help but feel sorry for them for having such ****** releases. I'll always use this example but Fate Zero, 25 episodes, 2 Bluray disks, locked subs. There's even more shows which they only use 1 BD per half series for. Why the hell would you do that? At least we can get the superior US releases - they don't have anything else to compare to.

Have we actually had a faultless release from them yet? (I do consider Locked Subs and being overly 'Compression Happy' a fault)

I once went to a Spanish library in 2011, the amount of both anime and manga available to hire was pretty unreal, at a rough guess they had 350 volumes of manga, and 150 DVDs.

Compare that to a British library whom might have 50 volumes and a few DVDs

ayase said:
Car is certainly looking very sporty Tach! Do keep an eye out for rot and sort it as soon as it appears - My mam has just had to scrap her Ka because of corrosion that would have cost more to weld up than the car was worth. I've done the same to two Fiestas. I like Fords but would be the first to admit they're total rotboxes.

On a related note I found a car graveyard in France today - Looks like it was a small scrapyard winding down a wooded hillside track which has long since been abandoned and turned into a hangout by local kids / teenagers who'd broken the lock on the gate. Didn't look like anybody had been around to care about trespassers since about 1979, given the amount of abandoned property here that's hardly surprising. What started out as wonder when I found a couple of Renault 4s and an original Citroen D and a DS had me virtually weeping when I found what was left of a once beautiful Peugeot 202 bent round a tree half way down a cliff.

Cheers fella, Its been received well by family and friends surprisingly enough, i did wonder if someone would call it tacky or cheap but thankfully nobody has seen it like that. There's a quote from the transporter films (IIRC) which is; if you look after the car, the car will look after you. So in some bizarre method of thinking i'm guessing the car agrees with the new things i've added to it because it hasn't had any problems regarding certain things it once did (trying not to be too precise incase sods law intervenes).

With the graveyard did you seen anything salvageable? My main focus would be to pull parts from other cars and try and get atleast 1 of them working again. Sure the battery is bound to be dead but with place like that it wouldn't be too strange to chance your luck and find something that still works.

I'm going to Rome for 4 nights on May 1st :D
Never been before so I'm well excited. My Mum treated the bf and I to the 4th night there so we paid £300 each for 3 nights including flights. We've had to pay about £74 extra though for our suitcase and booking which seats we wanted not to mention checking in online and getting our boarding passes that way. Still not too bad I guess.

On a sad note though, on the 23rd April (4 days before my birthday), my doggy who I've had for almost 17 years is leaving me and this world :'(
She's an old lady and has a tumour which came back about a year or so after we paid for an operation to have her first tumour removed. I'm paying for it to be done at home as she was always scared of the vets so I didn't want her to leave in fear although I think she's going to leave me scared either way when the vet has to shave her leg for the needle :(
Whenever I think about her or see her I'm just brought to tears. My Mum hopes this Rome trip will help me start to heal. We'll see :(

st_owly said:
You're doing the right thing. Better that than prolonging her suffering. Just think of all the nice memories of her.

St Owly is right, i've been in the same boat as you 2 years ago we lost our big lovable boxer who had been around for 12-13 years (which for a big dog like him was a good run as he was meant to go after 8 years) Its a very hard thing to do but its alot kinder to say goodbye and let them go to the big kennels in the sky than to keep them going for our own comfort but in pain.

What happened to my dog; *Caution, could upset some people so i've put it in spoilers for those who'd rather not know*
My dog was fine over xmas and new years, by the 5th of january his body had already started muscle wastage and he was rapidly losing weight, it was torture taking him to the vets - and in a way he knew it was his time because he took one final look around the house and garden, he couldnt even stand so i had to carry him and stay strong for my sister and mum as the vets let him go. Those final moments will stay with me as clear as day till the rest of my life but i'd rather be there than not, atleast he knew that his family were with him in the end. (my dad was at work but on the phone throughout it as thats the best we could do in the timeframe)

Its not something that ever heals, right now i'm fighting back tears because hearing that somebody has to go through the same ordeal just brings it back. The main thing is to think of the great times you've had together, think of it as "see you later" rather than "goodbye" and deal with the situation as best you can, each person grieves differently but in the end we all find closure to an extent.

I'm really sorry that you're going through this. Stay strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoilers for the same reason as Tachi
A couple of years ago I came back to my parents' from going on holiday with some friends to find out my childhood dog had to be put to sleep while I was away. When I left, she was largely in good health, other than seeming like she had a cold. My mum told me that she came downstairs one morning, and the dog was barely breathing and couldn't keep any food down. My mum took her to the vet, and they said what had most likely happened was there was a fast growing cyst crushing her windpipe. The vet held a feather in front of her face and it didn't twitch, that's how little she could breathe. They said they could operate, but the cyst would most likely come back, and she was so old (13) that she'd most likely not deal well with the anaesthetic anyway. My parents decided the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep rather than prolong her suffering. It sucked to have to come back to that, but I'm glad they did that rather than keep her alive for my and their selfish sakes.

Like Tachi, talking about it brings back the tears, but remember all the good times you had together, and that 17 is a remarkable age for a dog. I'm sure you've treated her well, she's had a good life and she'll be happy you're there till the end. We'll be here if you need someone to vent to :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sorry to have made you both sad but thank you for sharing that part of your life with me. I feel like I'm not so alone now.

I slept at my Mums last night (where I've kept my Penny seeing as she's left alone a lot less than if she lived with me) for the first time since we booked the appointment with the vets and I heard her sort of howling around 6am, never heard that from her before so I think she's in pain maybe but always kept it from us all as I have not heard her like that other than when she does her barking and howling when people would knock on the door. I feel a bit stronger now over having her leave me. I just didn't want her to be scared :(
The place her ashes will be scattered is beautiful. Just lots of countryside. People have anything from their cats to horses buried and scattered there. You get a nice little rememberance card off the place too as we had one last year when we lost my little brothers puppy. He never made it to his first birthday as he had scoliosis and no longer had the use of his back legs. He was so sad and you could just tell he was miserable. No puppy should have to live being unable to run and play, not that young.
My Penny never gave it away as easily as he did and it's because she's stayed strong for me, her Mummy :(

4 sleeps to go until it happens. I've take the entire day off to be with her.

On a brighter note, it's Friday! There's a fair on at the park across the road from me so I might go there and maybe even to the pub.

So, me and a couple of friends went out to a Japanese restaurant in town and well...Bento boxes are a lot bigger than anime make them seem. I felt really guilty leaving like, half of it. One of the waitresses was also wearing a full on maid outfit, made me feel really...weird. Although next time, I am so using that barbecue thing in the middle of the table.

I did like the tatami mats though.

Back