The General Conversation Area

Josh, change your PIN and card number and make her sort her life out once and for all! :/

If she treats her bank account the way she does yours it's not surprising her bank isn't that helpful, but she'll never get it sorted out at this rate.

R

Rui said:
Josh, change your PIN and card number and make her sort her life out once and for all! :/

If she treats her bank account the way she does yours it's not surprising her bank isn't that helpful, but she'll never get it sorted out at this rate.

R
I probably will do now. I've been fine with her using it every now and then, as long as she tells me in advance and how much it will be. But when it's three transactions, all under £2.50, of course it's going to raise alarm bells.

I also totally missed out on being able to get that awesome Ultimate Madoka because she took too long to pay me back >>

I didn't get the job at Sainsbury's and my laptop is dead again.

Fantastic start to the day so far. At least Jeremy from MangaUK contacted me about a replacement Agartha case though.

Now, now to relieve my frustrated by complaining to Sainsbury's HR about their crappy interview.

Joshawott said:
I didn't get the job at Sainsbury's and my laptop is dead again.

Fantastic start to the day so far. At least Jeremy from MangaUK contacted me about a replacement Agartha case though.

Now, now to relieve my frustrated by complaining to Sainsbury's HR about their crappy interview.
I'm at the opposite end of this, had an interview at HSBC today and my UK copy of Children Who Chase Lost Voices arrived seemingly undamaged, although I have yet to open it.
Might just keep it alongside the US copy for the packaging and artbook. Keep the US copy for functionality + Shinkai Interview track.

So we're getting a dog. I've never been a big dog lover or animal in general (unless it's eating them or watching documentaries about them) but my mum decided last year that we'd get a dog, primarily for my wee sister because a) she's nagged her for one for years now and b) she's profoundly deaf and a dog will be beneficial for her when she eventually moves out.

In the last week we've been to the dogs trust twice and yesterday we spent all day going between the two nearest Scottish SPCA homes (which aren't really near to one another at all). Eventually, after finding a couple dogs we liked only to be told that they had been picked up within a 5 mile radius of our address and so we couldn't have them, we found the right one for us.

His name is Red, a 3 year old mongrel (there's a bit of Staffie in there and goodness knows what else). He had a mange condition thingy, but apparently it's not infectous and he's at the tail end of his treatment and the fur will grow back. He's friendly but also (thankfully for me) calm enough, the first dog we tried that my mum and sister had seen the day before was an 8 month old border collie cross which wouldn't stay still for a second, just way too hyper for me.

We'll be getting him in a few weeks once his treatment is completely done, but until then we can visit as much as we like.

Oh, and I'm still no further along on the holiday situation with my friends, I'm at my absolute wits end and if nothing happens in the next couple days I'm calling it quits. They can do everyhting themselves and go without me as far as I'm concerned.

He looks nice enough from the photo 20thC. My family have only ever had one dog - a Golden Retriever who was old and relaxed for all the time that we had him. He once attempted to jump off a cliff and had to be retrieved himself by the coastguard. I'm more of a cat person really - I like their independence and their tsundere nature amuses me. My last cat was great, she was very big and always concerned with looking dignified, but also had a very casually violent attitude towards our other, much smaller cat (for whom play fighting with her was probably like being assaulted anyway) who is still a paranoid weirdo as a result. Dogs always seem a bit more slavish and needy which are traits I find irritating in any species, but I suppose that's as much down to the individual as it is with people.

Cats seem very sneaky and suspicous to me. They can just wander off themselves for hours at a time, what are they doing exactly when we're not around? Holding secret meetings I think, their ultimate goal remains a mystery to me though. They also like typing on keyboards and trying to mess up my drumming on Rock Band if my experience with my friend's cats is anything to go by.

My views on cats are that they're independent and adventurous, hence why they are able to go out on their own and be back in the afternoon and such. Most of our neighbours' cats are pretty shy when I approach, unless I'm invited to the house with "more" house-comfortable cats. They seem not so "high maintenance," as you just need to keep an eye on certain things rather than 24 hr surveillance (i.e. furballs, feeding, claw marks etc.).
One major issue I have with them - they'll mess around in any garden, leaving "presents" and digging up soil to cover their tracks. Or if it's on the lawn itself, you have to be careful you don't try to blend it with the mower.

As far as dogs are concerned, they are usually playful and social, and they need a lot of attention, especially if there's more than one in the household. They seem to like jumping up at me through most visits I've been on to family etc. and love to have a game of fetch/tug of war. But they're also very territorial, as they could end up getting into fights (or attempting to). Taking them out to walks and training "tricks" are additional tasks to looking after some other pets, but depending on how you treat yourself and your pet, this could be a good thing for you both.
Just make sure you are VERY careful with more powerful/larger dogs. On walks, they may punish you with their strength. Or seem a lot more demanding of things so you need to impose more on them.

Personally, I think I could look after cats more than dogs. I might be able to give dogs the attention they need compared to cats, but I've hardly been around cats to know for sure.

Aww he's a wee sweetie! The name really suits him too.
I have a basset hound and she is very attention seeking, she just wants to be petted and held all the time. Other than that she sleeps, she's snoring next to me right now. I suppose a basset hound is a good dog to have since she doesn't require a lot of exercise or grooming. They're crazy stubborn though, if she doesn't want to do something, that's it. She's not doing it.
I agree, it's always nice to come home and have them so excited to see you :D I love her to pieces, it's amazing how quickly they become a big part of your life and how attached you become.

I went with my wee sister to visit Red on Thursday, we took a couple of dog treats that she'd bought and I can only say that they are definetly not human treats (though it did have a nice blast of meaty aftertaste :lol: ). He is really nice and I think I might take to him, he does have a habit of not letting go of any toys he gets a hold of though, so I've told my mum it's probably best if she doesn't leave her shoes lying around the house like she currently does. He had another skin scrape on Wednesday and was getting nuetered yesterday, so as long as his result comes back fine then we could take him home by the end of next week.

I'm also not going with my friends on holiday now, it's quite clear that it simply will not work and that one of them seemingly doesn't want me to go anyway. So I've told him I'm not going and I will refuse to even discuss the matter in the event that it's brought up again, I'm not sure where my relationship with this particular friend stands at this point (or the rest, as he's the nucleus of the group). I was just going to stay at home this year, feeling that it's about time I stop going away with my parents (even though I do love it), but my mum's just off the phone telling me about a deal to Cuba that she's talking about in the travel agents right now. I've always really wanted to go to Cuba, but I just don't know if I should, am I too old to still be going away with my parents? I've got until tomorrow to decide so best put my thinking cap on.

20thCenturyBoy said:
I'm also not going with my friends on holiday now, it's quite clear that it simply will not work and that one of them seemingly doesn't want me to go anyway. So I've told him I'm not going and I will refuse to even discuss the matter in the event that it's brought up again, I'm not sure where my relationship with this particular friend stands at this point (or the rest, as he's the nucleus of the group). I was just going to stay at home this year, feeling that it's about time I stop going away with my parents (even though I do love it), but my mum's just off the phone telling me about a deal to Cuba that she's talking about in the travel agents right now. I've always really wanted to go to Cuba, but I just don't know if I should, am I too old to still be going away with my parents? I've got until tomorrow to decide so best put my thinking cap on.
Ah, go for it man. As long as they know (or aren't the sort to expect) that you'll spend all your time with them I'm sure it'll be better than sitting around at home. Opportunities grasped, new experiences and all that. Maybe you'll meet a Cuban girl and spend the rest of your days on a tobacco plantation or driving around in a big old '50s car smoking Cohibas*. That's the sort of thing I tell myself when I go on holiday, alone. Hasn't happened yet, but there's still time.

*Autocorrect, in its infinite wisdom, wanted to change that to "Toshiba"

I stopped enjoying holidaying with my family a long time ago (we have different tastes), but if you still actively enjoy doing it I don't think there's any reason to stop at any age. Especially if they've picked somewhere you had a yearning to see anyway. Go for it! You'll have a far better time than you would have going with your useless-sounding friends, anyway.

R

Go for it! I don't holiday with my family any more as they tend to holiday in August, which is when I can work lots over the Fringe, but if you think you'd enjoy it and it's somewhere you want to go, do it!

As my dad has always told me - "You may grow up, but you'll never stop being my son." You cant out-grow a family, so why not enjoy things with them. Just have a look what interests yourself and look what they like, and then organise what you'd like to see individually and what you all want to see together.
Expect to go places you may not be "excited" about, but as families or friends go, you got to bare (and heck, maybe even enjoy) with the other's fancy. However, at the same time they should do the same.

So I say go for it. If nothing else, at least you can share your experience with the family when you meet for dinner etc. and you get to experience new things.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Cats seem very sneaky and suspicous to me. They can just wander off themselves for hours at a time, what are they doing exactly when we're not around? Holding secret meetings I think, their ultimate goal remains a mystery to me though. They also like typing on keyboards and trying to mess up my drumming on Rock Band if my experience with my friend's cats is anything to go by.
I grew up with cats and like their independent streak a lot. Mine doest type his entries to the world but will insist on putting his paw in my cup with milk left waiting for the Tea to fully mature!

I like both cats and dogs. Cats are cool because they require a lot less attention, and are just sort of nice to have milling about the house doing whatever it is they do. However I do also like dogs because they are more dependant on human interaction (and simply enjoy it more) than cats, they will look to you for genuine leadership (or try and lead you, of course, but that's a highly undesirable outcome!), and so the bond between you and dog will become stronger than with a cat, simply out of necessity. I can understand where Ayase is coming from though, dogs definitely aren't for everybody! I have one dog (Boxer) and it's the only dog I've ever had, so I definitely had no clue how to handle a dog at first and made nearly every rookie mistake in the book (despite reading several dog training books prior). I've had him since he was a pup, but regardless, it was challenging for a while, docile he was NOT! His nature is really sweet though ( somewhat demanding, but sweet) and eventually (I'm talking a couple years here) everything just clicked, and I finally understood how to have and handle the kind dog I wanted. Dogs are great company, in a way it's kind of because they are more interactive than cats but less so than humans, you never have to worry about creating conversion or anything so demanding, you can just walk together.

Back