The General Conversation Area

Hopefully it'll be fine. I mean the contract for this flat ends at the end of June, so i could stay here till then, but its probably for the better that i head home and work in the damned shop thats there. The worst place to work in existance i think, but i would get the most hours(i can guarantee that for a fact from previous times i'm there) so i would at least get decent money.

I personally don't mind seeing who gets what job, even "foriegners", specially if they are students. Even if they get their tuition fees and such paid for them, they still need to earn themselves money, so it makes sense they look for a job.

Since i won't be here later on i'll just advertise the fact that my art thread has new work on it :p (Voddas be careful not to get nosebleeds after your last reaction to my work ;) )

Gah, i'm hating this exam coming up now, and i was thinking it'd be easy till now. We haven't been told what to study at all for the theory side of the exam(the other half being to write out code, easy enough), so we're basically going in blind. Ok i don't need much to pass but even then, i'd rather go in knowing what i studied was right than not.

/rant

Damn, =/

I've learnt that generalising most of the possibilities that the test could cover and just quickly revising over it. then coming away for a good 10 mins and then get back to it again is a better chance of covering something you'll need to know than if you where to sit revising solidly on everything.

Voddas said:
Sorry to hear about the job such problems your having Arba. I really do not envy you. I feel reaally lucky to have a job in these times. I don't know if it's just our area, but I've noticed alot of foreigners steeling jobs for less pay round here recently. Now that's just wrong.
Hope it turns round for you.

Foreigners are hardly "stealing" jobs. It's an open market, and if you don't get the job, and a foreigner does, then you obviously didn't try hard enough. That's how markets work; when you fail, it's your fault, not the fault of the person that outdid you.

CitizenGeek said:
Voddas said:
Sorry to hear about the job such problems your having Arba. I really do not envy you. I feel reaally lucky to have a job in these times. I don't know if it's just our area, but I've noticed alot of foreigners steeling jobs for less pay round here recently. Now that's just wrong.

Foreigners are hardly "stealing" jobs. It's an open market, and if you don't get the job, and a foreigner does, then you obviously didn't try hard enough. That's how markets work; when you fail, it's your fault, not the fault of the person that outdid you.
Thanks for the heads up.

All I know is that 40 men got laid off at the ship yard as they had people from abroad who can do the job for half the wage. So you can see why some people would get fustrated.

I admit, stealing is not the right way to put it like. We just need more jobs.

Cheers for the email Tachi. :lol:

Voddas said:
All I know is that 40 men got laid off at the ship yard as they had people from abroad who can do the job for half the wage. So you can see why some people would get fustrated.

Well, if British people are unwilling to work for lower wages - and the firm can fill it's vacancies with lower-paid workers, then it's just tough luck for the Brits. Firms are there to maximise their profits; again, that's how markets work :p

CitizenGeek said:
Well, if British people are unwilling to work for lower wages - and the firm can fill it's vacancies with lower-paid workers, then it's just tough luck for the Brits. Firms are there to maximise their profits; again, that's how markets work :p
That may be how markets work but it still isn't fair. Our cost of living is so high at the moment that we need these higher (normal to us) wages otherwise we'll lose our homes, belongings etc. (worst case scenerio). I know if I was told I'd have a pay cut of 50% I'd crap myself. I wouldn't be able to support myself on a 25% decrease and I don't even have a family to support.
I understand your argument and I agree, that's life. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. ¬_¬

CitizenGeek said:
Voddas said:

I believe it's up to what lower wages mean.

Some companies get foreigners simply because some of these accept rates below minimum wage or even accept to be explored, such as work 10 hours, get paid 7.

This is hardly fair for the foreigner or the british, the difference is, the foreigner might have come from such a bad place, that even though they are being explored, they wold not mind.

Before moving to UK I had 11 ~12 hour working day. Reducing it to 10 hours a day? WOW, that sounds like prue win.
:/

CitizenGeek said:
Voddas said:

You Don't get taxed like us brits....its not about being willing to work for lower wages. its about working to pay the crazy taxes that fund the MP's expenses and other things their doing to screw us all over. in essence its working to stay alive long enough to work more.
sick IMO.

Geek's right. Unless we're talking cash in hand, as long as their working in a legit job, they'll still be charged income tax.

I hate tax! :evil:

Voddas said:
Geek's right. Unless we're talking cash in hand, as long as their working in a legit job, they'll still be charged income tax.

I hate tax! :evil:

The irony of your job :p

They do have to pay tax....but they come over here because the pound is/was one of the strongest currency....so they'd come here for the jobs and then go back to their countries with a fortune. to be honest if i was in the same boat i'd probably do the same thing. just sucks to be on the side were on right now. what with people shouting discrimination, racism and the likes most of the time.

Back