The General Conversation Area

Does anyone know how customs charges work now? I haven't ordered anything from overseas for ages and I think I'm a bit out of the loop.

I want something from Amazon US that costs £77.

From what I can gather from the Gov.UK site, there's only a customs charge for stuff over £135. Surely I'm not understanding that correctly...?

You are correct, under 135 there is no charge

I have bought many things offshore since this change. So now it is even that it might be cheaper to buy things separate and ship separate

You should recieve zero charge for buying a £77 from amazon usa

Does anyone know how customs charges work now? I haven't ordered anything from overseas for ages and I think I'm a bit out of the loop.

I want something from Amazon US that costs £77.

From what I can gather from the Gov.UK site, there's only a customs charge for stuff over £135. Surely I'm not understanding that correctly...?
Should be okay at £77. Incidentally I buy medication from overseas every 3 months or so and as long as I've kept it just below £135 it has gone through just fine with no charges.

Should be okay at £77. Incidentally I buy medication from overseas every 3 months or so and as long as I've kept it just below £135 it has gone through just fine with no charges.

Not trying to pry into what it is but just wanna say I sincerely hope you're doing ok, I'm on meds too and it can be difficult so I empathise :) <3

It very much depends on your budget, if you are considering moving to Windows, Linux or just going with another Mac brand, as well as what video editor you use and whether you do it at home or on the go; so it's kind of tricky to give recommendations without knowing that but with regards to memory I would say look out for a computer with 32GB of RAM or more as content creating can get really demanding if you use the high end software.
Also, not an essential but I very highly recommend a computer with an SSD as opposed to a Hard Drive, it will speed up your loading tenfold, allowing you to get to your project much quicker and therefore finish it faster.
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I'll just end up getting a new MacBook and get Final Cut Pro as my new editing software. I will keep the 32GB of RAM figure in mind.

Well, my 2012 Scion xB wagon bit the dust on Friday, the engine blew on the way to work in the morning. A seal must have opened up and dumped all the oil, and the engine ran dry and friction took it out. Had it towed to the dealer and got a ride home, then went back in the afternoon to look at what they had available on their used car lot. They only had two cars on the lot even remotely within my price range, everything else was $23K and up. They had a older Toyota RAV-4 but by the time I got to the dealer it had sold already. I looked at the other vehicle and ended up buying it, so I'm picking it up tonight after supper.

I ended up getting a 2013 Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV, and it's their Grand Touring model, so it has every option available included: AWD, 19" alloy wheels, fog lights, power sunroof, roof rack, backup camera, Blind spot detection in the side mirrors, steering HID headlamps that angle left/right when you make a turn, power/heated leather seats, navigation package, 9 speaker Bose sound system, split climate controls - just off the top of my head. I guess it will be nice to go from a bare bones Scion to this larger "luxury" vehicle! Not looking forward to making car payments though; I had payed off my Scion 3 years ago.

2013-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-auto-suv-angular-front.png

Last edited:
Chrome on Android seems to have changed so instead of opening up the 'new tab' page when I open up the app it reopens previously closed tabs. Bit annoying at times having to close those websites again.

I got the emergency alert, the overall message just made me wonder what the hell this is actually going to be used for though.

The ring tone is so definitely designed to trigger anxiety in people. Like the message is "EVERYBODY PANIC, but don't panic."

It's basically a modern air raid siren, so unless they are secretly preparing for war it seems unnecessry for a country that doesn't see many real threats. Might make for a good tornado warning system if that was a regular thing in the uk.

Tl;dr I better not start getting alerts about an angry cat in my area.

I just turned it off in advance. On the radio on Sunday the local council were talking about using it for flood warnings etc, something I absolutely don't need to know (I live in an apartment a number of floors up, so there's no risk to my home or me since y'know it's pretty easy to tell if the rain is ridiculous) and with the way the weather is here I imagine it would be used for those a lot.

Currently bricking it. I applied for a position at the DWP (by recommendation of my work coach at the job centre) and i've made it to the pre-recorded interview. I've had to buy a webcam and now i'm currently looking online for example questions and answers.

My friend is going to Japan soon and the other day I jokingly said "I'll have to give you a list of stuff to pick up" and he said "OK, I can pick something up for you".

So I've been trying to think of something that's not too bulky, not so obscure that he would have to hunt high and low for, but also unique that not easily found on the Web or something that you can find, but the shipping cost is too much to justify (I recently tried to add a mag to an order, but it was to be shipped separately and thus doubled the price!) Any thoughts?

My friend is going to Japan soon and the other day I jokingly said "I'll have to give you a list of stuff to pick up" and he said "OK, I can pick something up for you".

So I've been trying to think of something that's not too bulky, not so obscure that he would have to hunt high and low for, but also unique that not easily found on the Web or something that you can find, but the shipping cost is too much to justify (I recently tried to add a mag to an order, but it was to be shipped separately and thus doubled the price!) Any thoughts?
Can't go wrong with local sweets.

Can't go wrong with local sweets.

Unless the recipient is diabetic (like me) but assuming they are not yes great idea (I could so go for some red bean paste stuffed pancakes rn or some mochi, blood sugar levels be damned!) :D

Yeah, I thought of a variety pack of Kit Kats with their weird flavours, but also maybe something a bit more traditional. He would only need to pop into a combini then!

I think they also do some cool unusual Oreo flavours as well :)

Right, time to give this another shot. My motivations for doing this are pure and just (I want to read Yuri Hime every month without relying on scanslators). It was inevitable that I would grow dissatisfied with what crumbs were doled out to me. A true yuri maniac must go to the source and feed directly on that sweet nectar, and for that to happen she must first face the hardship of learning an entire language for dubious motivations. I will ascend damn it!
IMG_20230503_234207.jpg

Back