The General Conversation Area

Die Hard is my Christmas Eve tradition, think tonight I’ll watch Gremlins and maybe something like A Christmas Story or a film along those lines. There’s also a few Christmas specials here and there if I can remember them.

If some of the events are based around Christmas, yes. Been a long time since I've seen it myself
It opens with a Christmas song and is set during the Christmas season, heck Gibson’s character thwarts a drug deal at a Christmas tree place so it’s about as festive as is required for yours truly.

Actually, the more I watch of Lethal Weapon the more I remember so maybe I have seen it somewhere down the line on TV or something. It’s a cracking film regardless.

It's probably more of a Christmas film than Die Hard tbh.

Hmm, I feel like that's pushing it. Admittedly I haven't seen it lately, but, despite its setting, I still see Lethal Weapon as a film that coincidentally takes place at Christmas, rather than a Christmas film.

For my money, I think Die Hard just fits more. You see more of the outside world in Lethal Weapon, so it seems more grounded in reality. Die Hard's night time skyscraper feels cut off from the rest of the world; it's like a vertical fantasy land with John McClane running around it like a little boy in his pajamas who's found the toy gun he was supposed to get before Christmas Day has really arrived.

Hmm, I feel like that's pushing it. Admittedly I haven't seen it lately, but, despite its setting, I still see Lethal Weapon as a film that coincidentally takes place at Christmas, rather than a Christmas film.

For my money, I think Die Hard just fits more. You see more of the outside world in Lethal Weapon, so it seems more grounded in reality. Die Hard's night time skyscraper feels cut off from the rest of the world; it's like a vertical fantasy land with John McClane running around it like a little boy in his pajamas who's found the toy gun he was supposed to get before Christmas Day has really arrived.
I agree with you on that, Die Hard is the best Christmas film, though LW is still a worthy watch around the holiday season.

Back