The General Conversation Area

Looks like I've stepped into a war between @Neil.T and the Cult. Also rather than lobbing boiled sweets can't I have a few?
*Offers sweets* there's loads, help yourself :)

Oh don't worry, @Neil.T 's efforts are futile againt those of The Cult. He knows not what he's dealing with. Also, his corny Japanese Sentai scripts are getting him nowhere fast!

*Unrwaps a sweet*

Dattara, kisama...
*takes up fighting stance, beckons*
kakatte koi!

Subtitles:
"In that case... bring it on, you!"
I will!

You'll be pinching your nose in exhasperation and your poor eye will be all twitched out by the time I'm done getting on your nerves!

Okay, so "koi" can either mean a "carp", or "lover" - you gotta be more specific! :rolleyes:

There's also the phrase koi no aite, which is taken to mean something like "object of your affections". Curiously, the word aite on its own actually means "rival" or "opponent". :confused:
I wonder how one might say "object of your annoyance" in Japanese...

:p :p :p :p

"ai" and "koi" are, as far as I know, rarely used in Japan, unless it's really serious stuff; instead they'll just say "suki desu" (I really like you), which apparently, carries the same weight as saying "I love you" here...

Also, they perform a "kokuhaku" or "love confession" - something like "I like you, alot, can we start seeing each other?"

It all seems very...within strict protocol; very typically Japanese I guess...

EDIT:
"Suki desu" = "to like"
"Daisuki desu" = "to really like"

"Suki desu"
I still haven't gotten over the bit in The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya where Kyon tells Koizumi he loves him — only as a kind of dare, I hasten to add!

Kyon at left:
a4b8f273c328d6bfc95749c4c5bdfe38eb18dcc5_hq.gif

Also, I just heard a bedroom door slam, but there's no breeze...and I'm in my house...alone...

Help! *clutches a cricket bat*

Back