The General Conversation Area

I just went to look at my settings, I don't think I've ever changed them.

What does "Allow users to… view your identities" mean?

I just went to look at my settings, I don't think I've ever changed them.

What does "Allow users to… view your identities" mean?
If you've entered any details in the Identities section at the bottom of the Account details page, that setting controls who is allowed to see them on your profile.

I would note that I haven't touched the options there, which is why they're so desperately out of date... I might go in and sort out some more relevant options later on. :p

You got me to check what mine was set to. Got to say I like the various options.
Its more of a temp solution as it stops most users PM'ing you, whats not always good. (Unless you don't like PM's ofc)

On a serious point, there should be an option to restrict PM's before the user makes "X" amount of posts, I haven't used XenForo before but I'd imagine its got the same settings somewhere

On a serious point, there should be an option to restrict PM's before the user makes "X" amount of posts, I haven't used XenForo before but I'd imagine its got the same settings somewhere
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! ;) Yes, that's exactly what I'm setting up – I don't like to do this until it's proven to be needed, as it's kinda inconvenient for real humans, but it is genuinely the best way to stop drive-by trolls and spammers.

Its more of a temp solution as it stops most users PM'ing you, whats not always good. (Unless you don't like PM's ofc)

That could work pretty well, it’s at least give some heads up if theees a spammer around. Before the pms start I mean.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! ;) Yes, that's exactly what I'm setting up – I don't like to do this until it's proven to be needed, as it's kinda inconvenient for real humans, but it is genuinely the best way to stop drive-by trolls and spammers.
Then my question is... how much are you planning to set it to?

That could work pretty well, it’s at least give some heads up if theees a spammer around. Before the pms start I mean.
Yeah, that's the benefit. It also means we can actually see any evildoing and deal with it, without needing to have users report the messages themselves.

Then my question is... how much are you planning to set it to?
It'll be two messages to start with. We can always adjust the number later if need be. :)

How many though. Some forums like 10 posts as its an easier to varify they're not bots

I've always used 5 as its more of a fair amount, who can't make 5 posts..

Edit: Ah you chose 2 :)

Yeah, that's the benefit. It also means we can actually see any evildoing and deal with it, without needing to have users report the messages themselves.

It'll be two messages to start with. We can always adjust the number later if need be. :)
Thanks for being open and letting me know. I appreciate it and feel special now, I hereby welcome you to join the cult of bearded Dandyness, baby!

Back