The General Conversation Area

I think we need to stop blaming half the population for all the bad thinks that happen in society like feminism seems to do and blame the perpetrators of the crimes, not all boys are potential rapist, not all white men are privilege, and not a women are delicate little flowers who need the government to make new laws to protect them from evil men.
Who's "we"? I think the people who believe those things are, as has been said, a very small but very vocal extreme minority.
which is exactly how I judge feminism e.g by there actions and goals not the individual
And it sounds a lot like you base your entire belief about what "feminism" is on those particular people. That's not much different to the way that same extreme minority bases their view of men on only the worst men. Feminism isn't an organisation, it doesn't have leaders. There are loud obnoxious hate-filled feminists, sure. But there are also reasonable feminists who actually want to make things better and view men as equals and don't hate them at all. I just really don't think it helps to keep making claims about feminism or feminists in a blanket manner.

People are all individuals and I'd never want to judge them any other way. There are plenty of people who consider themselves feminists who you could go out and meet and have a perfectly pleasant time with (and who don't want to cut your balls off) but at the moment you're shutting all of those people out by making presumptions about the kind of people they are. You said to me once you didn't like people making presumptions about you - Aren't you doing just that to feminists?

Personally, I don't believe it's the job of the British people to try and interfere in other people's countries. Even with good intentions, that usually has disastrous results and the affairs of another country are usually best left to the people of that country.

As for grid girls, like Netflix I believe Formula 1 is a private enterprise and can make decisions about employment as it sees fit. Do I think grid girls were doing any harm? No. But then plenty of job roles become redundant as companies change, they have the right to make that decision and plenty of people get fired all the time, so I think ultimately it's a bit of a non-issue. Would be nice if everybody had people to stand up for their right to work, but I didn't see anyone do it for the steelworkers either. Apathy at people losing their jobs is pretty normal. But if you want to start up a motor racing sport that does feature grid girls and employ them all, I'd be all for it. I don't think there's anything legally stopping someone from doing that. It was a corporate decision taken by F1 and you as a consumer can choose to support them or not based on the decisions they take.

Last edited:
And it sounds a lot like you base your entire belief about what "feminism" is on those particular people.
Well Yeah because the the ones having negative effects on society and discriminating against people and are the face of the feminist movement/ideology, whereas the others are just random people who just call themself feminist or sensible 2nd wave feminist who have been excommunicated from the movement for not being man haters.

Who's "we"? I think the people who believe those things are, as has been said, a very small but very vocal extreme minority.
They may be a majority but they tend to hold high positions of power which allows them to change society in negative ways and allow such things as positive discrimination and in the case of Australia mandatory consent classes for school boys.

Personally, I don't believe it's the job of the British people to try and interfere in other people's countries. Even with good intentions, that usually has disastrous results and the affairs of another country are usually best left to the people of that country.
The picture was actually of Swedish politicians being hypocrites, there was no interfering just lost morality in the pursuit of trade.

And it sounds a lot like you base your entire belief about what "feminism" is on those particular people. That's not much different to the way that same extreme minority bases their view of men on only the worst men
Being a man isn't something people have control over whereas feminism is set of belief which people choose to follow I don't think you can compare the gender of a person with the beliefs of a ideological movement like feminism.

Well Yeah because the the ones having negative effects on society
So you admit that you base your opinions of feminism on the feminists who are having a negative effect on society? So why isn't your opinion of feminists based on the ones having a positive effect on society? Or better yet, why not admit that it's a mixed bag, and some feminists do bad things and some do good things?

Being a man isn't something people have control over whereas feminism is set of belief which people choose to follow I don't think you can compare the gender of a person with the beliefs of a ideological movement like feminism.
I've mentioned earlier, there isn't a fixed ideology. There isn't a feminist manifesto all feminists agree on. And certainly everyone, men or feminists, has control over not being a horrible person - Of which there are examples in both men and feminists.

Anyway, I'm going to have to cut this short because I'm off to the cinema to watch one of those films with positive strong diverse characters in that you're approving of Ken, at least we can agree on that.

So why isn't your opinion of feminists based on the ones having a positive effect on society?
short answer I don't know any, I could go back in history and find some but today's feminism is nothing like it's past so there isn't any point in bringing up past glories.

It's black panther isn't it you lucky get

I'm sure I saw someone selling evangelion on here recently for around £60, might be working checking the for sale section. That price is about right for it if you can afford it... If not just search the net & find a digital copy, it's not like any money from a 2nd hand sale supports the developer anyway & if the titles out of print & they refuse to bring it out again then why should you lose out?

Haha, many thanks for that. £60 is a decent price, even second-hand, but I don't really have that kind of money on me right now :(

It's no big deal really. Hopefully I may be able to find a copy when I start earning money but even if I can pnly get a hold of the manga as @D1tchd1gger recommended, it's something! I just feel like I'd be missing out on a definitive masterpiece of the 90's otherwise ^^

It's black panther isn't it you lucky get
It was. Is this a good change of subject? I'm gonna say that it is.

I have to say, aside from the annoying noisy teenagers who seemed more interested in chatting over the entire film and some slightly shonky CGI, that was pretty great. Seemed surprisingly mature for a Marvel film I'd say - Not in like, sex and gore or anything, just like more thought had gone into the plot, dialogue and characters. It was also largely quip and "quirky comic relief" free as well as the plot being... sort of more down to earth than usual, or as down to earth as a plot can be in an action oriented cape film.

And I expected Lupita to be best girl in this film because well... Lupita. But you know, in the end it wasn't even close.

Crap, I hope I didn't just murder the conversation. Whoops.

How's your evening, @~AyaMachi~?

Haha, nah, it's cool. Nothing special going on here. I'm just winding down reading a book about Japanese art I had for Christmas whilst drinking a bottle of Cola. Got a bit of music on ^^ Just...the usual!

It certainly is an ... evening :p

Made me giggle ^^

Indeed! It's why we're all gathered here right now! :p

Glad you're all well though :)

What's on the playlist?

Got a few Japanese playlists on YT - Paprika soundtrack; NGE; PMMM :)

Also, I hear you @HWR I was more excited about pancakes yesterday. Intersting fact: pancake day fell on my 18th birthday - I was DEFINITELY more excited about the pancakes!

I quoted HWR's post that had the gif of Pain, I was going to write something but in the end I didn't but that damn gif has been saved in my text box ever since and whenever I'd enter this thread it'd just loop and it'd piss me off but now it's cracking me up, I guess I'm posting this just so it goes away, farewell pain.

@~AyaMachi~: The book sounds good. I bought a little book on Hokusai at the British Museum when I was at the exhibition there last year. Really enjoyed that exhibition; as well as the prints themselves, there was a bit showing the manufacturing process of woodblock prints. Fascinating to see.

I had my three days off, then back a day, then off today, then back to work tomorrow. I don't know whether I'm coming or going! :p

I quoted HWR's post that had the gif of Pain, I was going to write something but in the end I didn't but that damn gif has been saved in my text box ever since and whenever I'd enter this thread it'd just loop and it'd piss me off but now it's cracking me up, I guess I'm posting this just so it goes away, farewell pain.

I giggled at that XD I also have to ask, is your avatar one of Rumiko Takahashi's characters? It looks an awful lot like her style (Ranma; Inuyasha). I love it regardless! ^^

Back