The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

GAME is to end physical video game and hardware sales in all their stores (although the article states, they will still sell video games and hardware on a pre-order basis). Truly an end of an era though. I'm guessing they just couldn't keep up with online retailers who sell video games at a consistently cheaper price than GAME do. I'm actually surprised they continued to sell physical games for this long.

They should really pivot to the CEX model and combine that with the pop culture knick-knacks they sell.

I remember when I was younger saving up for a PSP and going into GAME every day after school just to stare at the empty box they had on display. I also remember getting an Xbox 360 Arcade Edition from GAME and playing Naruto Rise of a Ninja, good times. It will be sad to see if they get completely wiped out.

This is a shame to hear though I've rarely bought anything in-store for ages, especially when they stopped pre-owned games.

I have a lot of fond memories of GAME though from when I was younger, always spending what pocket money I had on PS2 / PS3 / GC / Wii / GBA / DS / 3DS games or trying out the demo's available in-store.

The above article is (thankfully) complete bollocks, not that I blame you for posting it here @BrokenPhoenix - it’s a real piece of clickbait and would rightfully raise a lot of concerns if the news was legitimate. Other publications have been reporting off the back of the article too which doesn’t help.

The above article is (thankfully) complete bollocks, not that I blame you for posting it here @BrokenPhoenix - it’s a real piece of clickbait and would rightfully raise a lot of concerns if the news was legitimate. Other publications have been reporting off the back of the article too which doesn’t help.

Oh is it? Well that is some good news at least. The article has since been updated:

"UPDATE: In a statement to Eurogamer, GAME has denied plans to stop sales of physical games.

"This reporting is categorically not true," a spokesperson told the outlet. "GAME continues to support the physical gaming market, offering a wide-range of physical games, hardware, software, accessories and digital gift cards, in stores and online.""

Yeah I was wondering how soon they’d sent that statement out - it’s the sort of fake news they’d want to nip in the bud quickly.

It does raise the question of how exactly they are still making money on selling physical games. GAME are far and away the most expensive place to buy physical copies of games, they also have to pay store staff and spend money on store space.

Physical games have been decreasing in sales for a while now and if someone does buy physical, surely they'd be more likely to buy from any of the online retailers that sell the same games considerably cheaper.

Are GAME still making money off the parents who know nothing about gaming and simply want to buy their child a PlayStation? Seems a miracle they're still around in 2024.

The original Resident Evil is now available on GOG with RE2 and RE3 coming soon. There is also a bundle available.

Considering how crapcom has been ramming Russian DRM from a company that has no morals and allows malware creators to use their software to try and hide their malware from anti-virus programmes into their old games, you'd have to wonder how long it'll be before the games are removed from GoG because crapcom wants to add the enigma protector malware DRM into them.

Who would have thought it, the old saying of 'sex sells' still rings true. I wonder if Sony is kicking themselves over sabotaging fan service games for the past 6 years on their platform causing numerous popular game series to be killed off.

In a inspired piece of promotion for the new action/RTS game Kunitsu-gami: Path of the Goddess, Capcom lean into the Japanese mythology of the setting with this prologue filmed as a bunraku performance. It's a style of traditional puppet show that I haven't seen before.

Was going to check that out on Game Pass as it appeared there, tried out the demo, an interesting sort of hybrid tower defence and action game.

PlayStation-ChinaJoy-2024-Lineup-Ann_07-15-24.jpg

PlayStation ChinaJoy 2024 Games Lineup

Can't read all of the titles but Swords of Convallaria looks good (it's releasing in a couple of days on Steam).

The game is styled as a gacha tactics game but it also has a decently long single player campaign as I understand it. I'd love a good tactics game without the gacha stuff though and would pay for that but seems you have to put up with the gacha stuff somewhat.

AI Limit also looked pretty cool but no release date confirmed yet, just said 2024 on Steam.

Wonder if we'll get a summary video of all of the titles? I'd check that out see what else looks good if one gets made.

Last edited:
Back