The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Red Art Games have surprised everyone with an announcement that they will be distributing a Square Enix title for Europe and North America with Romancing Saga: Ministrel Song Remastered. While the remaster was released a while back digitally in the west and physically in both Japan and Asia (the latter of which includes English support), this version will also include French, German, Italian and Spanish translations for the first time.

Romancing SaGa: Ministrel Song is a remake of the 1992 Super Famicom game Romancing SaGa released in Japan and North America in 2005 for the PlayStation 2. Europe did not receive this game until the remastered version came along a few years ago. Considering Romancing Saga 2's remake Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven is being released later this year, Square Enix probably decided to help broaden the franchise to as many people as possible now before the game's launch, but I didn't anticipate they would go to Red Art Games for a physical version.

There are other SaGa games available in English and in physical form over in Asia for those interested. Currently the following are accessible:
  • COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND (Final Fantasy Legend I-III (Game Boy))
    • Available on: Nintendo Switch (Digital), Steam (Digital)
  • Romancing SaGa 2 (Super Famicom)
    • Available on: Nintendo Switch (Digital & Physical), PlayStation 4 (Digital & Physical), Xbox One (Digital), Steam (Digital)
  • Romancing SaGa 3 (Super Famicom)
    • Available on: Nintendo Switch (Digital & Physical), PlayStation 4 (Digital & Physical), Xbox One (Digital), Steam (Digital)
  • SaGa Frontier (PlayStation)
    • Available on: Nintendo Switch (Digital & Physical), PlayStation 4 (Digital) Steam (Digital)
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace (PlayStation Vita)
    • Available on: PlayStation 4 (Digital), PlayStation Vita (Digital), Steam (Digital)
  • SaGa: Emerald Beyond (Multi-Plat)
A remaster of SaGa Frontier 2 (PlayStation) has also been rumoured to be in the works.

Some pretty big announcements in today's Nintendo Direct. As per usual for these branded streams that pretend everything is exclusive, we'll have to wait a bit to see which other platforms these will be on.

Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & the Envisioned Land (early 2025)
The start of a new Atelier sub-series. Looks good, but more like a generic action JRPG, to be honest. Good luck spotting anything alchemy-related in the trailer.

Capcom Fighting Collection 2 (2025)
Are you okay? Buster Wolf! Some beloved classics (and some okay-ish games) finally get ported to modern systems. Includes Both Capcom vs SNK games, Project Justice (aka Rival Schools 2), both Power Stone games, Capcom Fighting Evolution and Plasma Sword. The list of fighting games trapped on 6th gen systems continues to dwindle.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 1st (2025)
Impressive-looking remake of the original game.

Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma (Q2 2025)
Looks like a major step up in production values from the earlier Rune Factory games.

Tales of Graces F is being remastered for release in January 2025

Now just need Tales of Xillia (both games) to be remastered and I can finally get rid of my PS3.

And that's without the optional disc drive or vertical stand. A fully kitted-out PS5 Pro will be £825. :eek:

Then you can add on another £60 for PS Plus.

Microsoft have sort of imploded with their Xbox of late, Sony have no real competition and this pricing is perhaps a sign of them feeling confident that they basically own the space now.

Very much PS3-era vibes, when Sony announced the super-high PS3 pricing after the success of the PS2 era.

PS5 Pro confirmed. £699.99 RRP.
Ridiculous pricing aside (this is aimed at the bros that drop £2,000 on a new graphics card every 18 months).
The biggest problem that people don't seem to be saying anything about is to show off their big sexy new console it was 'look how good Ratchet and TLoU2 and Horizon 2 and Spider-Man 2 look!'.
I was lthinking, most of those games are 2+ years old! There's been some bangers but instead of expecting people to drop £800 on a beefed up PS5 put out more games!!!!!

It will definitely be very hard to justify this product, seeing as any games for it must be compatible with the original PS5 as well therefore you'd only see very minor differences if any at all.

It is the same trap Xbox fall into with the Xbox S series, the games are all held back by trying to be compatible with the slower S series rather than benefitting from just doing the best for the X series.

The biggest problem that people don't seem to be saying anything about is to show off their big sexy new console it was 'look how good Ratchet and TLoU2 and Horizon 2 and Spider-Man 2 look!'.
I was lthinking, most of those games are 2+ years old!
Not to mention that some of them are ports of PS4 games. Also, it's telling that they needed to zoom in on the screenshots to highlight the visual difference.

As for performance improvements, when the Pro's specs first leaked, Digital Foundry had doubts that it could reliably hit 4K/60 on game's that fall significantly below that on the base PS5. It might end up being a very expensive way to barely push games into the 48fps window for VRR to kick in.

Still haven't bought a PS5 yet. Watched a video on the difference between Original and Pro and was surprised to hear about the "slim" version. Will probably just get the OG after it, hopefully, gets a price drop after the Pro comes out because I need a disc drive to get through my backlog (if I don't get too distracted by GTA6).

Back