The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

More exciting than that was the fact that the master collection had "vol. 1" at the end there. Say all you want about 4 but I really, really miss playing that game. I hope they'll save it from PS3 purgatory.
PS3 games are notoriously difficult to port, but MGS4 would be great to see with a better frame rate. Likewise, The Twin Snakes could benefit from an HD remaster. I'd also like to see Metal Gear Acid, since those were never even available digitally on PSP. Even Ghost Babel would be interesting to see dragged out of obscurity, though it didn't massively grab me. A part of me says vol 2 is more likely to just be Peace Walker and Portable Ops though.

The Metal Gear Collection Vol.1 is interesting, until you see the official site and see they're NOT the HD remasters just ports of the OG PS1 & PS2 games slapped in a collection and pushed out the door with minimum effort #The KonamiWay

I'm gonna need to see a lot of footage before I get hyped for Snake Eater remake and even then there's no way I'd preorder it 😂

The Metal Gear Collection Vol.1 is interesting, until you see the official site and see they're NOT the HD remasters just ports of the OG PS1 & PS2 games slapped in a collection and pushed out the door with minimum effort #The KonamiWay

I'm gonna need to see a lot of footage before I get hyped for Snake Eater remake and even then there's no way I'd preorder it 😂
Wait so it's not the PS3 collection release ported?

I'm still going to be a bit apprehensive about the remake but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for it still, Snake Eater is my favourite out of the main series (Rising is my fav game overall though). Typical when I finally pick up the HD Collection on PS3 a few months back they announce they're going to be re-releasing the older titles, not complaining though, I'll end up buying them again on PS5 and I'm glad they'll be more accessible to everyone now, such great games.

Was nice to see more of the upcoming Granblue game during the showcase, been waiting on that for years.

I predict volume 2 will have Peace Walker, MGS4, and MGS5 / Ground Zeroes. I'm one of the few people that really love Peace Walker and MGS5 so I hope I am right.

I watched the spider-man 2 teaser and it looks awesome.

That PS5 streaming device actually looks perfect for me since I'm not at my flat for most of the week.

The most pointless award goes to the Gran Turismo movie. Why does that exist?

I predict volume 2 will have Peace Walker, MGS4, and MGS5 / Ground Zeroes. I'm one of the few people that really love Peace Walker and MGS5 so I hope I am right.

I watched the spider-man 2 teaser and it looks awesome.

That PS5 streaming device actually looks perfect for me since I'm not at my flat for most of the week.

The most pointless award goes to the Gran Turismo movie. Why does that exist?

Tbh, I'm thinking 5 will be left alone as it's still easily accessible and instead we'll get Portable Ops, most being a PS5 upgrade for 5 or just a standalone re-release but will be yet to be seen, just my personal thoughts though. Seeing as MGS4 is a native PS3 game, I do wonder how they will go about that due to PS3 games being infamously troublesome to develop and port due to the hardware, would be weird to leave out though so I feel they have to include it someway.

I also wonder if they would include Rising or not, as it is a canon title despite not being under the Solid title.

Tbh, I'm thinking 5 will be left alone as it's still easily accessible and instead we'll get Portable Ops, most being a PS5 upgrade for 5 or just a standalone re-release but will be yet to be seen, just my personal thoughts though. Seeing as MGS4 is a native PS3 game, I do wonder how they will go about that due to PS3 games being infamously troublesome to develop and port due to the hardware, would be weird to leave out though so I feel they have to include it someway.

I also wonder if they would include Rising or not, as it is a canon title despite not being under the Solid title.

You might be right with MGS5, and I was thinking it was a bit of a stretch myself unless it's a native PS5 version. Though I am still confident about Peace Walker and MGS4, but if they have to recode MGS4 to port it over then I hope they do a better job than the Silent Hill HD collection :/

Metal Gear is a long time top 5 favorite series for me, even MGS4 the black sheep of the family I will happily replay. I'm really not sure I care about the MGS3 remake over this version though tbh.

Now I wonder what is happening with Death Stranding 2.

PS3 games are notoriously difficult to port, but MGS4 would be great to see with a better frame rate. Likewise, The Twin Snakes could benefit from an HD remaster. I'd also like to see Metal Gear Acid, since those were never even available digitally on PSP. Even Ghost Babel would be interesting to see dragged out of obscurity, though it didn't massively grab me. A part of me says vol 2 is more likely to just be Peace Walker and Portable Ops though.

Yeah, Sony didn't make things easy with their cell thing... I've got to wonder how well 4 would sell. It has problems, namely the gameplay-cutscene ratio in the second half, but in terms of saga fanservice, it's outstanding. I honestly pondered (kinda still do) buying a used PS3 just to be able to play 4 and a few other games.

I'd love to play Twin Snakes even if I'm perfectly content with the original game, just to see what it feels like, how the graphics and the revamped cutscene direction affect the mood.

Yeah, Ghost Babel has never interested me a great deal due to the lack of cinematic component inherent to the limitations of the platform and even gameplay variety- is the story cool?

Acid 2 is one of those annoying gaming regrets because I think it looks really good but never got to play it. I'd love a shot at both.

I did try Portable Ops but it didn't stick while I enjoyed Peace Walker in the HD collection even if it's not always fun...

I miss Metal Gear, but I'm happy Kojima and his team are free from it - so much creativity and now they're not limited to a single vehicle!

Sorry for the unprompted rant on MG, but you mentioned so many entries that it got me reminiscing.

Yeah, Sony didn't make things easy with their cell thing... I've got to wonder how well 4 would sell. It has problems, namely the gameplay-cutscene ratio in the second half, but in terms of saga fanservice, it's outstanding. I honestly pondered (kinda still do) buying a used PS3 just to be able to play 4 and a few other games.

I'd love to play Twin Snakes even if I'm perfectly content with the original game, just to see what it feels like, how the graphics and the revamped cutscene direction affect the mood.

Yeah, Ghost Babel has never interested me a great deal due to the lack of cinematic component inherent to the limitations of the platform and even gameplay variety- is the story cool?

Acid 2 is one of those annoying gaming regrets because I think it looks really good but never got to play it. I'd love a shot at both.

I did try Portable Ops but it didn't stick while I enjoyed Peace Walker in the HD collection even if it's not always fun...

I miss Metal Gear, but I'm happy Kojima and his team are free from it - so much creativity and now they're not limited to a single vehicle!

Sorry for the unprompted rant on MG, but you mentioned so many entries that it got me reminiscing.

I'm honestly not sure on the reputation of 4 overall from the fan base but when I first played it I personally adored it, even with all the cut-scenes, kept me hooked enough it didn't bother me (was a late night though with the length of those final cut-scenes 😂 ).

Twin Snakes I'd love to play myself as well, only played a little of Portable Ops but I currently don't have a working PSP so my copy is unplayable atm, was fine from what I remember. I've played a little of Acid but couldn't get into it personally, would give it another shot though, was much younger back then. Ghost Babel even though non-canon I'd like to see get a re-release just as it's a bit obscure and would just be neat to have as many games from the series as possible available, even if just via Switch Online.

I'm in the fortunate position of still having my PS3. I never get rid of old consoles anymore, since I regretted it so much in my teenage years. Half of them are stuffed under the bed, at the back of the wardrobe, etc.

Twin Snakes is basically the gameplay of MGS2 grafted onto MGS1. The first-person aiming makes it too easy, but it's otherwise a solid (lol) remake. Interestingly the over-the-top cutscene direction from notorious oddball Ryuhei Kitamura felt really out of place at the time, but Kojima started affecting some of that style in later years, so it blends in a bit better now. MGS4's cutscenes have an especially similar style to Twin Snakes, in particular. I prefer the original MGS1 overall for its more serious tone and stoic performances, but I tend to alternate between the two versions when feel like revisiting Shadow Moses.

It's been 20 years since I played Ghost Babel and I never finished it, so I don't remember much. My defining memory was a boss wielding a boomerang, but that might have been a fever dream. I do recall it being impressive for a Game Boy Color title, though it still felt pretty much like the MSX games.

I'm in the fortunate position of still having my PS3. I never get rid of old consoles anymore, since I regretted it so much in my teenage years. Half of them are stuffed under the bed, at the back of the wardrobe, etc.
This is the way. Matter of fact my PS2 is in my cupboard and my PS3 is currently plugged into a smaller tv in my bedroom :)

I'm honestly not sure on the reputation of 4 overall from the fan base but when I first played it I personally adored it, even with all the cut-scenes, kept me hooked enough it didn't bother me (was a late night though with the length of those final cut-scenes 😂 ).

Twin Snakes I'd love to play myself as well, only played a little of Portable Ops but I currently don't have a working PSP so my copy is unplayable atm, was fine from what I remember. I've played a little of Acid but couldn't get into it personally, would give it another shot though, was much younger back then. Ghost Babel even though non-canon I'd like to see get a re-release just as it's a bit obscure and would just be neat to have as many games from the series as possible available, even if just via Switch Online.

Yeah, I remember opinions on 4 being generally negative as a game but I think fans remember a lot of it fondly. I love 4's hard-on for guns and the return to Shadow Moses is memorable.

Yeah, having games be more accessible is always a good thing, so I hope we get as many of those as possible. I'm not sure Nintendo was involved with Twin Snakes, but I'd like to see it all over other platforms.

Twin Snakes is basically the gameplay of MGS2 grafted onto MGS1. The first-person aiming makes it too easy, but it's otherwise a solid (lol) remake. Interestingly the over-the-top cutscene direction from notorious oddball Ryuhei Kitamura felt really out of place at the time, but Kojima started affecting some of that style in later years, so it blends in a bit better now. MGS4's cutscenes have an especially similar style to Twin Snakes, in particular. I prefer the original MGS1 overall for its more serious tone and stoic performances, but I tend to alternate between the two versions when feel like revisiting Shadow Moses.

It's been 20 years since I played Ghost Babel and I never finished it, so I don't remember much. My defining memory was a boss wielding a boomerang, but that might have been a fever dream. I do recall it being impressive for a Game Boy Color title, though it still felt pretty much like the MSX games.

Oh, it was the PS3 that got rid of me, I'd never do it neither lol I reflected on the many (many, MANY) hours of fun it gave me and did a proper burial by which I mean of course that I threw it emotionally in the trash.

I can see how just sliding first-person aiming in without adjusting level design and enemy placement and AI could soft-break the whole thing. Regarding the cutscene, I remember seeing a couple and actually enjoying them even if yes, Snake doing a summersault to evade a rocket and supporting his weight on the rocket to complete his acrobatics is a bit funny. Everything involving Gray Fox felt pretty glorious though, but even the original game was remarkably well made. I've only ever watched Versus and what's the name... Something to do with heaven? Versus is a whole vibe though, but it's cool. But yeah, overall, I'm not surprised you alternate between the two, they always felt largely complementary as opposed to one replacing the other.

I remember being "shocked" when I played the MSX games and seeing so many of the ideas that I saw on MGS such a long time before when even on PSX they felt revolutionary and ahead of their time.

My take as I own Twin Snakes is that it's overall good. I enjoy the goofy cutscenes primarily but the level design of shadow moses is absolutely not built around the MGS2 additions and so the game is overall way too easy.

And yeah I agree with the MGS4 sentiment, I can see why people would dislike it but frankly there isn't a single MGS game I actually hate and would happily replay any of them. Not even Zelda has accomplished that with me.

There is a demo for the new Alone in the Dark reboot.

I was hit by so much nostalgia for the original DOS game and the demo was very clearly an homage to the old game's teaser "Jack in the Dark" Although this teaser was more of a walking simulator rather than a mini puzzle game like JiD was. It made me very happy all the same.

EDIT: Just realised after jumping down a nostalgic rabbit hole that the girl in the demo is the same girl from Jack in the Dark so that fits.

Last edited:
Summer Game Fest just finished its annual 2-hour stream of new game announcements and trailers. It was generally meh. Lots of dark, broody shooters, dark, broody soulslikes, and a few games with colours other than brown.

On the more colourful side, there's a new 2.5D Sonic game called Sonic Superstars that's coming in autumn and looks quite charming. Playable Amy Rose is always a plus.

Palworld looks like Pokemon with guns and a budget. The fact that it's going into early access first is setting off my F2P alarm though...please don't be F2P. It's Xbox and PC only, which is annoying.

The show closed with a great-looking trailer for FFVII Rebirth that confirmed an "early 2024" release window and that it will be on two discs (that's up to 200GB!). I'm not linking that trailer because I highly recommend anyone already planning to buy the game not to watch it. It heavily teased a spoilery twist that I would have much preferred not to know about in advance.

The only thing from the Summer Game Fest that caught my interest was Space Marines 2. The first game released more than a decade ago and was a surprisingly fun action game even if you know extremely little about the Warhammer 40k setting. There was originally going to be a sequel a long time ago, but that got cancelled. So it was nice to see Space Marines 2 is coming along again.

Sonic Superstars and Sand Land were some really nice surprises, really looking forward to those two. Nice to see more of FF7 Rebirth as well, looks stunning. Interested in Like A Dragon Gaiden as well as Ever Crisis but sadly that's mobile only, hoping for at least a PC port sometime.

And not in the Summer Games Fest but Shadows of the Damned Remastered has been announced as well which I'm interested in, have always meant to pick it up on PS3, might as well wait now though.

Back