The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

I'm PlayStation primarily but I do have an Xbox & Switch and I think because of that I look at the whole ABK buy out impartially and I honestly think its a bad thing for the whole industry in the long run.
I also 100% think Sony are just as bad locking games away with 3rd party console exclusives (and DLC exclusives!!!).

TL;DR is MS saying ABK games will be on PS (for 10yrs at least) is all well and good but they already showed their a$$ and that they cant be trusted with the Bethesda deal 🤷‍♂️

It's interesting that the clincher was fears over it affecting competition in the cloud gaming space rather than the industry as a whole. I wonder if that's just the angle they chose to highlight because they thought it would be easier to gauge Microsoft's looming presence in the cloud gaming sector, rather than looking at the specific game franchises caught up in the deal.

It's interesting that the clincher was fears over it affecting competition in the cloud gaming space rather than the industry as a whole. I wonder if that's just the angle they chose to highlight because they thought it would be easier to gauge Microsoft's looming presence in the cloud gaming sector, rather than looking at the specific game franchises caught up in the deal.
There's way too much attention on CoD.
Yes it's a factor and would 100% come into play in the next gen if its made exclusive influencing people console choices.
The bigger problem is the monopoly of the cloud sector in general, MS already have it locked down in the PC OS game and they're looking to get in early here too.

Whew UK lads, God bless ye and such.

Saw this on Jason Schreier's twitter. No true feelings on the matter, one way or the other.

I will say that I don't see Call of Duty being exclusive to one platform any time soon, and the only Blizzard game I'm interested in is Warcraft 3 lol

I don't know how Microsoft will continue supporting their game pass idea practically. Would this acquisition get people to buy xbox and game pass as opposed to just buying cod on PS? Hm.

The real tragedy has already happened anyway with them snatching Arkane and Machinegames. Tango too, but now Mikami has left so we'll see how it goes from here.

Arkane in particular are one of the best studios around - probably the strongest reason for me to want an Xbox eventually.

Microsoft has been saying that Cloud Technology is the future of gaming for a good while now. Crackdown 3 was promoted as using 'the infinite power of the cloud' and before the release of the newest Xbox the head of their gaming division, Phil Spencer, said that he considered Amazon and Google Microsoft's actual competition in the gaming space. Because Nintendo and Sony were just making systems and not innovating in cloud technology.

So it looks like the CMA decided to believe them and evaluate the future based on that promise the impact they could have on an emerging market rather than current hardware sales. Which is probably a good approach for the organisation to take. If things go how Microsoft says they will then how might that market work? That seems better than just basing it purely on current conditions.

Quite interesting to see, on a political level.

I'm surprised that one country's refusal means the whole thing comes to a hault. Maybe the UK is that big a market.

I'm sure this will be temporary, I wonder what will be going on behind the scenes.

Quite interesting to see, on a political level.

I'm surprised that one country's refusal means the whole thing comes to a hault. Maybe the UK is that big a market.

I'm sure this will be temporary, I wonder what will be going on behind the scenes.
I think people are getting caught up in the gaming aspect and forgetting that if they don't comply with the CMA outcome they'd be blocked from operating within the UK.
Obviously the twitter fanboys will just say 'good! No CoD for the brits' but we're not talking blocking Xbox we're talking blocking Microsoft!
No trade means no British company can do business with them (it would make it an actual crime punishable by prison time) and thats before we even talk about using those channel Islands they've been registering trademarks in for years to avoid taxes in the US.

Long story short it's gonna go through eventually but no way it makes it with ABK as a whole company and serious sanctions made in perpetuity so the CMA doesn't have to keep checking they're not f'ing around every year 🤷‍♂️

FvCGkBxWIAISKIr.jpeg

shrug, just bought this. (the picture will take you to cdjapan)

FF XVI OST in normal and collector's editions. That's the CE up there. Slipcase with the Amano artwork, what seems like a shiny-like digipak for the 8 cds, it's beautiful.

I just need a proper artbook now and I'm good.

View attachment 29041

FF XVI OST in normal and collector's editions. That's the CE up there. Slipcase with the Amano artwork, what seems like a shiny-like digipak for the 8 cds, it's beautiful.

Think I need this to go with the CE of the game I ordered. I hope there's also a hardback strategy guide (like they did for FFXV), I like collecting hardback strategy guides.

Think I need this to go with the CE of the game I ordered. I hope there's also a hardback strategy guide (like they did for FFXV), I like collecting hardback strategy guides.

I had the CE pre-ordered but not even I could justify the price, and I'm a huge hype animal. When I started thinking "that's the price of a console" I canceled it and went with the deluxe edition. I'll spend the rest on stuff I really value like the artbook and OST.

Will still be going on YouTube day 0 to ogle at unboxing videos lol

View attachment 29041

Ordered the UE from CDJapan as not only does it comes with an early pre-order bonus it will also come with a CDJapan exclusive bonus.

Ordered the UE from CDJapan as not only does it comes with an early pre-order bonus it will also come with a CDJapan exclusive bonus.

Yeah, one of them is one of those file folders and maybe the second one will be too, only with a different illustration. I saw something on the SE store about puppy Torgal and stickers for their bonus.

Since E3 is dead, Sony have done the usual thing of cramming all their trailers into a slick one-hour presentation, with little of the cringe-inducing corporate banter and none of the on-stage disasters that used to typify game announcements at this time of year. It's just not the same without bleary-eyed developers getting dragged on stage to awkwardly promote their half-finished game in front of a room full of game journalists, for better or worse.

Since E3 is dead, Sony have done the usual thing of cramming all their trailers into a slick one-hour presentation, with little of the cringe-inducing corporate banter and none of the on-stage disasters that used to typify game announcements at this time of year. It's just not the same without bleary-eyed developers getting dragged on stage to awkwardly promote their half-finished game in front of a room full of game journalists, for better or worse.

That was a bit of a disappointment.... definitely some good looking games but hardly any 1st party.
Also chock full of CGI trailers and games running on PCs after Xbox has been railed for that over the past few years and PS has been hailed as how it should be done: actual gameplay running on PS5 hardware 🤷‍♂️

MGS 3 remake is exciting but again at the same time it was CGI only (yeah I've seen the 4 ingame screens, looks good) and Konami refusing to say who's actually developing it has hype set to very low.

I think it was just the lack of what should've been there but wasn't that was disappointing (FF7 rebirth releasing Winter 2023... we'll see)

For all of the hype, yeah, it wasn't up to snuff as far as I'm concerned.

What a thrill... it was seeing Snake again but I'm wary without Kojima. Rumour is Virtuous is handling it, but if that's the case, I guess we'll finally see a game completely designed by them. More exciting than that was the fact that the master collection had "vol. 1" at the end there. Say all you want about 4 but I really, really miss playing that game. I hope they'll save it from PS3 purgatory.

The highlight for me was Alan Wake II. I love Remedy and the trailer looked incredible. Dual protagonists, full horror, incredible graphics. Bummer the game is releasing exclusively on digital. Must be because of Epic.

Spider-Man looked very good too, but it didn't save the overall presentation.

Phantom Blade looks like beautiful but I'm wary of ambitious looking Chinese games. We've seen a few of those over the years that have yet to come out as far as I know.

Also disappointed at the lack of more Konami, namely Silent Hill and Castlevania, Square with VIIR and Tactics remaster, and just more interesting Sony stuff.

It's depressing that when a gorgeous-looking anime style game like Tower of Fantasy crops up, my first thought now is always, "I bet that's some F2P gacha $#!¥" and I'm usually right.

Extremely absent of gameplay and dates, feels like Sony should have waited a couple months until more stuff was firmed down. Not a whole lot I was interested in. Nice to see a new Cat Quest and will certainly pick that up on Switch or PS5 depending on where it's headed, The Plucky Squire/Granblue/Spidey were all known quantities that I remain very interested in and look forward to actually coming out.

Back