The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Hard disagree on XVI looking rough around the edges - the only thing I want is to be able to choose how much info shows up on screen. I don't need numbers when the enemies have health bars above their heads nor do I need to know I dished out "eikonic punishment" lol

Most anticipated game in a while for me, good lord. The team has a hard-on for Matsuno and his body of work, Vagrant Story included - it'll be a thing to behold. Koji Fox on localization was expected but will elevate dialogue to another level, taking XIV and expansions into account.

The little music we've heard so far owns. My god, the hyyyyyype

They're doing RE4 again? How many times is it now? My guess it's been about 5 or 6 versions so far. I guess the girl running around the trailer is meant to be Ashley, but looks nothing like her. Overall not sure what to think of the trailer, it appears to have stripped all of the humour out of the game.

They're doing RE4 again? How many times is it now? My guess it's been about 5 or 6 versions so far. I guess the girl running around the trailer is meant to be Ashley, but looks nothing like her. Overall not sure what to think of the trailer, it appears to have stripped all of the humour out of the game.
Looks like they are bringing it more in line with the post RE7 games, which I am fine with myself personally. Next they need to remake RE5 + 6 not to modernise though, but so they can fix them :p

I still have old RE4 on my Wii so I can replay that if it turns out to be lame.

Looks like they are bringing it more in line with the post RE7 games, which I am fine with myself personally. Next they need to remake RE5 + 6 not to modernise though, but so they can fix them :p

I am wary of these remakes, the original games were basically B horror movies with all of the cheesy dialogue and stuff. Heck the first game even started with a FMV which was basically out of a B horror movie, but all of these new remakes have gone full on straight horror, which makes them far less unique compared to every other horror game out there. There already was a VR re-release of 4 and it removed all of the risque dialogue and I see it going further with this one.

I see these remakes like a remake of Duke Nukem, but the characters are from Call of Duty. You're still fighting aliens and stuff, but all of the characters are now straight-laced.

Looks like soulless rubbish to me! They've stripped all the charm and humour out of it which is RE4. I bet they'll write Mecha Salazar out of the game along with all the adult humour too. Not interested at all tbh.

What's with remakes & aaa games all being so serious and homogenous nowadays? There's zero uniqueness or fun writing anymore it seems.

Last edited:

The ps4/pc ports of RE4 are really good. I'd recommend them any day. I replay it all the time.

The ps4/pc ports of RE4 are really good. I'd recommend them any day. I replay it all the time.
I might give it a go on PC as that could work, but I couldn't stand it with a normal controller when I tried it personally. The Wiimote was the best compromise for me, and I still have my Wii U plugged in so it's easy for me to replay.

Probably an unpopular opinion but for me RE4 was the worst of the classic games due to it's controls, long run time among other things. So if this new remake brings it closer in line to controlling like RE2 and 3 remake then that will be better for me.

I am wary of these remakes, the original games were basically B horror movies with all of the cheesy dialogue and stuff. Heck the first game even started with a FMV which was basically out of a B horror movie, but all of these new remakes have gone full on straight horror, which makes them far less unique compared to every other horror game out there. There already was a VR re-release of 4 and it removed all of the risque dialogue and I see it going further with this one.

Oh trust me I'm an old school RE fan to the core and remember those days fondly, I used to speed run my original copy of RE2 lol. I'm still happy with these remakes though but that's just my opinion. For me the RE series was good between RE1-RE3, then RE4-RE6 are whatever. And RE7 onwards is more what I want from the series so I'm content.

Hard disagree on XVI looking rough around the edges - the only thing I want is to be able to choose how much info shows up on screen. I don't need numbers when the enemies have health bars above their heads nor do I need to know I dished out "eikonic punishment" lol

Most anticipated game in a while for me, good lord. The team has a hard-on for Matsuno and his body of work, Vagrant Story included - it'll be a thing to behold. Koji Fox on localization was expected but will elevate dialogue to another level, taking XIV and expansions into account.

The little music we've heard so far owns. My god, the hyyyyyype
Fully agree on FF16 not looking rough (post Elden Ring looking rough is negligible) also fully agree there better be a toggle UI option because after the first trailer I was hyped for it being very Vagrant Story/FF12 but after that trailer the second the UI popped up I had FF13 flashbacks....

REmake 2 was amazing. Sadly REmake 3 was pretty terrible though and it makes me sad.

But this one is being done by the REmake 2 team which is the main reason I haven't written it off lol.
I didn't mind the RE3 remake that much.
It was far too short and cut loads from the original and felt more like a RE2 DLC (kinda like the original games lol) but I wouldn't go as far as to say terrible.
I definitely plan on playing them both again when the PS5 updates drop later this year (hopefully)

I might give it a go on PC as that could work, but I couldn't stand it with a normal controller when I tried it personally. The Wiimote was the best compromise for me, and I still have my Wii U plugged in so it's easy for me to replay.

Probably an unpopular opinion but for me RE4 was the worst of the classic games due to it's controls, long run time among other things. So if this new remake brings it closer in line to controlling like RE2 and 3 remake then that will be better for me.
Sorry for double qoute but just bought RE4 on steam as it was £3. Now I really am future proof if this new one turns out to be lame.
Yeah the Wiimote has the best controls. I guess I'm lucky because I've never actually played the wii version so the the analog controls is all i've known. Still £3 is a bargain for sure. Thanks for the heads-up I'll get it too i think! :D

Yeah fair enough, I don't think it's crazily unpopular, it did go in a different direction to PS1 RE's and it wasn't perfect in it's execution. The RE2 remake's controls were excellent, so if they bring that then that's a positive for sure.

Fully agree on FF16 not looking rough (post Elden Ring looking rough is negligible) also fully agree there better be a toggle UI option because after the first trailer I was hyped for it being very Vagrant Story/FF12 but after that trailer the second the UI popped up I had FF13 flashbacks....

Ahah, understandable but your faith in the creative team surely overpowers your 13 trauma lol

I've watched the trailer an embarrassing number of times by now - my hype is such that just listening to the audio on YT repeater is enough.

I can't wait to see where Clive's journey takes him, holy hell dude.

Using DMC moves like stinger and devil bringer in a Final Fantasy game... What a world!

So the June 23rd issue of Famitsu will have a Ys I - IX retrospective but also news on 'new works' so reading between the lines, looks like Ys X announcement is imminent.

So the June 23rd issue of Famitsu will have a Ys I - IX retrospective but also news on 'new works' so reading between the lines, looks like Ys X announcement is imminent.

Nice. Not yet started Ys IX but no harm having more Ys. Then again, they could always revisit the older titles for a remaster or remake and I wouldn't mind.

A big Switch eShop sale started today. Lowest prices ever on a lot. Ends June 19th.

Some of the best I found:

Title
Publisher
Discount
Price​
Atlus
33%
£33.29
Atlus
70%
£13.49
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Nintendo
33%
£33.29
Capcom
50%
£24.99 (Ends June 26)
World End SyndromeArc System Works90%£3.49
BustafellowsPQube33%£23.44
Spike Chunsoft
80%
£7.19
Ghost ParadeAksys90%£3.49 (Ends June 29)
Private Division
33%
£16.65 (Ends July 3)
Spiritfarer: Farewell EditionThunder Lotus67%£7.85
Bandai NAMCO Entertainment
80%
£10.99
Bandai NAMCO Entertainment
80%
£8.99
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot + New Powers AwakensBandai NAMCO Entertainment50%£24.99
STUDIOARTDINK