The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

oMWe1gF.jpg

Activision have announced that Guitar Hero Live will discontinue its GHTV segment this December. GHTV is the online component of the game where you stream music to play like a radio.

Worth noting that FreeStyle Games who developed GHL did get acquired by Ubisoft and are now known as Ubisoft Leamington.

Yakuza 6 has estimated to have sold 800,000-900,000 across all regions total, according to the creator Toshihiro Nagoshi himself.

He also specified that the reason Yakuza 3-5 are getting remastered rather than remade (Kiwami'd) is because it would require a lot of time to sort out and he feels it would need new content to make up for the price. Another notable reason is because Yakuza 6 is still 'hot' in the western market in terms of attention and sales.

That's a bit of a shame since Yakuza 5 in particular could use some improvements to the hunting mechanics. At least the wait for Kiwami 2 won't be too long.

Guess my tweet to AUKN was ignored, so I'll post Rice Digital's article :)

Steam seems to be putting pressure onto Visual Novel developers to censor titles (even though they are already All Ages) otherwise their games will be removed from steam. While Steam does have a no adult content policy, developers have been working closely with valve to ensure their games meet guidelines

Steam Takes Issue With 2D Sexuality, Threatens to Remove Games - Rice Digital
And an update on this, looks like Valve have given up. Win.

And an update on this, looks like Valve have given up. Win.

Can only be a win for people using the platform. Those who don't want to see certain things on steam will have to use the new tools, and I'm curious to see how they implement them. People who don't want to see the more controversial games don't have to, they are still available for anyone who wants them and get a nice side affect is that valve can make hand over fist cash from it. I would question though, if a game has something offensive in it, like something islamaphobic or racist, in good context in the game (like a character who doesn't like black people) how would that affect the game in the UK with hate speech laws?
Many of the American developers are protected by the first amendment, but we don't have a free speech amendment, we have hate speech laws. It would be a bit hypocritical for the next GTA to have playable rednecks that drop the N bomb half the time and it be released in a country where Joe bloggs is behind bars for saying it

I would question though, if a game has something offensive in it, like something islamaphobic or racist, in good context in the game (like a character who doesn't like black people) how would that affect the game in the UK with hate speech laws?
It wouldn't, or at least it shouldn't. I don't think there are any laws against racist fictional characters existing. Might make it a bit difficult to have Nazis as villains in media otherwise. UK hate speech laws are mainly concerned with incitement, that is to say people attempting to convince others to hate people on racial or religious grounds, so as long as a game isn't actually encouraging people to be racists then it shouldn't fall foul of the law.

I mean obviously, there are many things you can depict in fiction which you can't legally do in real life. Not just using racial slurs, but like... assault, rape, murder, war crimes and genocide. I sure wouldn't like to be prosecuted for all the millions of deaths I've been responsible for in Total War over the years. I liked that "Exterminate Population" button a bit too much.

There's been a lot more criticism of this move than I was expecting - Mostly not from a moral or censorious standpoint, but rather "So you're going to let any poor quality crap be sold on your store then Valve?" which I find... odd, to say the least. I mean do these people complain that Tesco sell Tesco value baked beans along with Heinz? It's up to you as a consumer to make informed purchases, not to expect the retailer selling things to you to only sell things which meet your personal standards.

Last edited:
It wouldn't, or at least it shouldn't. I don't think there are any laws against racist fictional characters existing. Might make it a bit difficult to have Nazis as villains in media otherwise. UK hate speech laws are mainly concerned with incitement, that is to say people attempting to convince others to hate people on racial or religious grounds, so as long as a game isn't actually encouraging people to be racists then it shouldn't fall foul of the law.

I mean obviously, there are many things you can depict in fiction which you can't legally do in real life. Not just using racial slurs, but like... assault, rape, murder, war crimes and genocide. I sure wouldn't like to be prosecuted for all the millions of deaths I've been responsible for in Total War over the years. I liked that "Exterminate Population" button a bit too much.

There's been a lot more criticism of this move than I was expecting - Mostly not from a moral or censorious standpoint, but rather "So you're going to let any poor quality crap be sold on your store then Valve?" which I find... odd, to say the least. I mean do these people complain that Tesco sell Tesco value baked beans along with Heinz? It's up to you as a consumer to make informed purchases, not to expect the retailer selling things to you to only sell things which meet your personal standards.
About the quality thing I can see why it's confusing, especially if people are making that complaint conflating it with valve being hands off with policing certain types of content, they've been awful at keeping up with how many bad quality games that have flooded the platform for years, often people now don't buy the game or turn away when the6 know the developer. If a game is that bad, it won't need to be censored or removed, it will fail by itself, doing too much will incite the Streisand effect.
I guess though I didn't think about how much content the BBFC approves uncut when talking about the laws though

There's video of agony cut scenes but I will not be posting the video due to a scene of a gory rape and hardcore sex and steam are allowing the game too be sold uncensored.

Sony have announced the return of their 'Essentials/Platinum Hits/Classics' label with 'PlayStation Hits'. This is a re-release of the popular/well-sold games with a red spine (featuring the normal game's logo) and a mini red border on the front cover underneath the PS4 border. All of the games will be £15.99 SRP.

Select games are now available to pre-order on Amazon UK, all of which will be released starting 18th July 2018:
There are more also included in the new label:
  • Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 4 (confirmed for US release)
  • DOOM (confirmed for US release)
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • EA Sports UFC 2
  • Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience (confirmed for US release)
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Need for Speed
  • Need for Speed Rivals
  • Project CARS
  • Rayman Legends
  • Street Fighter V
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami (confirmed for US release)
(Disclaimer: All of the Amazon links above are under the Affiliate program scheme)

Oh here we go again doki doki literature club is being blamed for a death of a 15 year old.The guy didn't kill him self because he played the game and I wouldn't be surprised his parents were not interested in finding out if something was bothering him or the usual man up don't be a pussy from the dad.

Last edited:
Back