The Final Fantasy Debate

Nemphtis said:
Lupus Inu said:
Nemphtis said:
Lupus Inu said:
Number of sales disagree.
A shame you didn't notice my sarcasm.
Can't be too careful considering for the last page or so Wii bashing has been good and proper. ;/

Yes but I'd have to be on some kind of drug to tell you that the Wii isn't a good console. I could tell you that it's not for me, but there's no denying it's the shizzy right now. The Wii has outsold the Xbox 360 even though it had a year head start, the facts are in my face so I can't say **** about the Wii. Oh wait yes I can, the selection of games right now is pathetic, but understandable since the console is still pretty new. Sure I can play Twilight Princess and Corruption, but then what? Nintendo needs to get wise and start getting some real support with third party titles this time. I don't want them making the same mistake they did with the Gamecube.

hmmmmm, the Wii hasn't outsold the 360. At the moment the 360 is still ahead by about 200,000 consoles.

This topic gives me the giggles...
I too think that FFXIII won't be a trump card, it will certainly be successful but the PS3 is starting to get its act together now, the new £299 price tag I think will be a big success and its got many good games under its roof now.
edit: whoops, I was reading the wrong page, hope I anit brought up a dead topic

Zen 2nd said:
hmmmmm, the Wii hasn't outsold the 360. At the moment the 360 is still ahead by about 200,000 consoles.

Check on Google, the Wii outsold the Xbox 360 but I'm going to assume the Xbox 360 may have caught back up thanks to the recently release of Halo 3. 200,000 isn't really a big gap though, so I wonder if the Wii will surpass it again or maybe Microsoft is going to up their game? Just Googled it for you real quick, here's a short quote:

The report is based on sales figures from Enterbrain in Japan, NPD Group in the US and GfK of Germany, which tracks European sales. Sales figures from each console's launch date through the end of July (and the end of August in Japan) were added up, with the Wii just barely edging out the 360: 9 million for the Wii, 8.9 million for the 360, and 3.7 million for the PlayStation 3. Source.

Roadie said:
This topic gives me the giggles...
I too think that FFXIII won't be a trump card, it will certainly be successful but the PS3 is starting to get its act together now, the new £299 price tag I think will be a big success and its got many good games under its roof now.
edit: whoops, I was reading the wrong page, hope I anit brought up a dead topic

I hope I took part in providing you some giggles, Roadie.

I'm guessing the release of the 360 Elite helped too, if those sales are counted in aswell and probably without the subtraction of all the 360's returned due to getting a replacement Elite then that could potentially (though very unlikely) Double the 360's sales.

Just to clarify a couple of points: I think the Wii is a revolutionary console that could potentially be really great for gaming, but it's not for me, at least not until it gets more online capability, similar to that of Microsoft.

And I wasn't suggesting that anyone here was spoiled with my choice of console comment. The subtle comment was more so directed at a couple of my friends who have 360s, PS3s and I think Gamecubes too. I know that many people are either in the same situation as me or better off in a decent job to earn the money to spend on consoles.

but you're right, best to get back to this fascinating tennis match... or was it supposed to be a discussion?

Zen 2nd asked a good question which I think could also lead to a good debate, do you think that the Final Fantasy games require any skill to play? I've already posted my opinion on the topic, I want to see what the rest of you think. How much skill do you think is involved when you compare it to a western RPG such as Oblivion? Finally, what do you think of RPGs such as Eternal Sonata, KOTOR and Mass Effect which try to employ a battle system where they mix some turn based and action elements into one package?

Hmm, good topic. I don't know too much about FF so I'll compare it with Blue Dragon.

Like you mentioned, most of the requirements of Japanese RPGs is more to do with Knowledge and intellegence rather than skill, at least for the core game. Blue Dragon has a fair few mini games that require either skill or the ability to get RSI in 10 seconds flat. :lol: but they are fairly easy to pass if you'd prefer to ignore them and not bother with the achievement.

Although I cheated slightly and I have the Strategy guide to help me with Blue Dragon, mainly to know the class stats and skills unlocked at each rank and the rest to ensure I don't miss anything required for an achievement. Often it's still about judging the best battle strategy and other than the charge bars there is no time constrains to your planning.

In my opinion most of the 'skill' or work in RPGs, both Japanese and Western, is before you even draw your sword. It's how you plan your characters to give them a good balance and combination of skills so they are best able to tackle what the enemy throws your way.

However, most western RPGs are based on active battles in the wilderness where you must stay active and can even be interrupted by other creatures while you're attacking others. This has many varying degrees, from simple 'attack that' and 'cast ...' games like Diablo 2 to more complicated ones like many of the dungeons and dragons games, where your spell list often utilises more than one row of icons and you may need to position and organise more than one person, or in the case of D&DOnline, Position yourself so that the other playing party members can help you in the best way they are able.

Clearly Western RPGs require 'more skill' but it's mainly just a point of preference about the pace of the game. All the Western RPGs I own are PC based so the 'click that to kill it' battle system is little tougher than selecting attack from an FF battle menu.

On a tangent.... (but related to this FF topic, honest! :D )....

Regarding Final Fantasy VII (7) ~ Which platform would you say it is more enjoyable to play on:

The PlayStation or a PC?

(I mean this question in a similar way to the debate about whether First-Person-Shooters are best on a console or a PC (no argument: PC every time). I am looking to purchase FFVIII but don't know which platform to go for...)

minister3333 said:
On a tangent.... (but related to this FF topic, honest! :D )....

Regarding Final Fantasy VII (7) ~ Which platform would you say it is more enjoyable to play on:

The PlayStation or a PC?

(I mean this question in a similar way to the debate about whether First-Person-Shooters are best on a console or a PC (no argument: PC every time). I am looking to purchase FFVIII but don't know which platform to go for...)
#

I think it's fairly well known that playing it on PS1 is the better option. There are some problems with the PC version, I think - but I've never played it on PC, so I'm not sure.

CitizenGeek said:
I think it's fairly well known that playing it on PS1 is the better option. There are some problems with the PC version, I think - but I've never played it on PC, so I'm not sure.
Problems? Like what? Does anyone else know please?

minister3333 said:
CitizenGeek said:
Problems? Like what? Does anyone else know please?

I believe problems such as not running on anything past Windows 98, though I think there's a patch for XP. I also remember the PC versions having MIDI music which sounded quite different to the PSOne versions. But I suppose you might only notice that having played both versions.

The PSOne version is the original, and it's much more convenient to play it with a pad, so I'd go for that.

The PC version's FMVs looked, and still look absolutely terrible compared to the Playstation versions. For Final Fantasy VIII, the situation was reversed, but both games are hard to get sounding right, and the keyboard controls are bizarre.

Of course, the great thing about the PC versions of both is that they're about a gazillion times rarer than the PS1 versions everyone already has and FF fans will buy any old crap off you. Definitely profited from selling them on (twice in FF7's case. I found a roughed up copy at a carboot sale for £1 and sold it on ebay for £10).

Back