The E3 2015 Thread

EA were pretty damn good ~7 years ago when they were making games like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect. At this conference they actually had a comparable lineup to those times, but it was obfuscated by a truly horribly managed stage show.

The Last Guardian to kick things off. Then some interesting titles in Horizon, Dreams anf FireWatch. The World of Final Fantasy in a kingdom hearts style. Then some title called Final Fantasy VII is getting a remake. Who knew. A bit about Morpheus was quite interesting to check into, but then it came out with Shenmue 3, which killed vashdaman(RIP) and then uncharted to close. It's quite the line-up. Sony did well honestly.

They did well (Horizon looks incredible), but they still have no first party games this year. They had to have some insane announcements (exclusive CoD stuff after years of MS having it probably worth a mention too) to sort of cover that up with smoke and mirrors.

edit: Shenmue update

backers
$684,104
pledged of $2,000,000 goal
days to go

Going OK.

Needless to say, I'm experiencing full on manic elation right now.

It's time to break that piggy bank people. This is Shenmue 3 we are talking about here.

I still can't believe this is all really happening.

I had tears in my eyes when I watched that Kickstarter video for Shenmue 3. I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

My Dreamcast is already out, I'll start playing the games again!

Shenmue update:

backers
$1,517,925
pledged of $2,000,000 goal
days to go

Close game.

ayase said:
I take it people think this is worth a punt at $29 then?
Eeehhh. If you haven't played Shenmue before, I wouldn't blindly throw your money at it tbh.

Watched the whole conference this morning without any spoilers. That first not of Shenmue music had me jumping up and saying "Oh My God". I can't believe it's finally happeneing. I am a massive Shenmue geek, so glad this day has come.

Shenmue III Update:

22,018 backers
$1,822,461 pledged of $2,000,000 goal
31 days to go (about 7 hours have passed since the announcement)

SHENMUE III HAS SURPASSED $2,000,000 ON KICKSTARTER

Shenmue_3_KS.png

Vash has probably died again.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
I take it people think this is worth a punt at $29 then?
Eeehhh. If you haven't played Shenmue before, I wouldn't blindly throw your money at it tbh.
I am kinda tempted, less than £20 is good value for a game on release these days. Also, the idea of an open world RPG in a modern day Asian setting sounds quite promising.

I need to find out more about the original games, obviously. I was about to say if combat is turn based like other JRPGs I'm less interested, but apparently it's QTE. Hmm. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Sony really knocked it out of the park this year. Last Guardian, FF7 remake AND Shenmue 3 in one conference? It doesn't even sound real. Horizon also looks really good, can't wait for that. The Media Molecule stuff looked weird but interesting and Uncharted 4 is still looking good. The only low points for me where Batman because it's been at about 3 conferences in a row and comes out next week so felt unnecessary and Call of Duty because I just find those games to be pretty uninteresting.

Also, Sony sneaked out an announcement that I'm surprised didn't make it into the conference. The PS4 is now has DLNA support, meaning you can play video files from your computer or wireless HDD and you can also play videos off of a USB Flash Drive and to top it all off, it supports MKV too, which makes me super pleased.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e ... ble-on-ps4

Intrigued by the talk of a unique "living, breathing world", I played Shenmue 2 on Xbox. Or at least I tried to: the controls were unbearably clunky, and the most exciting thing that I did apart from play some old SEGA coin-ops was lugging boxes about. The controls will be better in the third game, I would imagine, but I'll have to be convinced that it's actually fun to play.

ayase said:
Also, the idea of an open world RPG in a modern day Asian setting sounds quite promising.
Have you played SEGA's Yakuza games? It's not exactly the same thing as Shenmue (it replaces the boring stuff with actual gameplay), and it's not exactly an RPG, but it's one of my favourite series.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Have you played SEGA's Yakuza games? It's not exactly the same thing as Shenmue (it replaces the boring stuff with actual gameplay), and it's not exactly an RPG, but it's one of my favourite series.
I haven't. I was quite interested to give them a go, but then my PS3's disc drive died and for some reason it didn't like me replacing it with a spare from a console with a fried CPU. Maybe if I get a cheap replacement at some point (which might be worth doing as second hand PS3 games are a steal now) or if and when they decide to bring the series to the PC.

Back