Overseas The Discotek Media Thread (plus AnimEigo)

It's good to see Captain Harlock back in print. I'll have to check the quality on the DVDs to see if an upscale is worth double-dipping, but I'm tempted to buy the BD just to have a back-up copy of this classic. It's easily one of the best Leiji Matsumoto anime.

It's good to see Captain Harlock back in print. I'll have to check the quality on the DVDs to see if an upscale is worth double-dipping, but I'm tempted to buy the BD just to have a back-up copy of this classic. It's easily one of the best Leiji Matsumoto anime.
Totally agree with you on Harlock,the tv series and Arcadia of My Youth are prime examples on how good anime can be,mind you that can be said about most of Matsumotos work,the man was a genius.I,m still waiting on discotek to announce Queen Millennia tv series and movie,when that days comes i,ll be over the moon,the tv series is amazing but the movie is one of my all time faves.

Last edited:
It's been four months since a new batch was added onto retailers, but here's the recently revealed September 2024 line-up. To recap, the monthly roll-out has been replaced with a bi-monthly approach of sorts, so the next batch should be November.

Anime:
SRP:​
Audio/Subs:​
Content:​
Format:​
Captain Harlock: Space Pirate
$69.95
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
42 episodes
Blu-ray
Dallos
$29.95
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
4 OVAs
Blu-ray
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka the Animation
$59.95
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
43 episodes
SD Blu-ray
Kiss x Sis: The TV Series
$49.95
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
12 episodes
Blu-ray
Kite: Integral Version
(Original Uncut & Uncensored Hentai Version + US & International Cuts)
$--.95
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Film
Blu-ray
Lupin the Third: The Italian Game
$24.95
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
TV Special
Blu-ray
Reborn! - Special Fan Disc
$24.95
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Episodes 1, 20, 77
& OVA
Blu-ray
Space Sheriff Shaider
宇宙刑事シャイダー
$69.95
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
49 episodes
[TOKU TIME]
Blu-ray
Tona-Gura!
$39.95
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
13 episodes
Blu-ray

LICENSED AND COMING SOON (as of August 2024):

Anime:
Year:​
Audio:​
Chie the Brat Season 2
- TV Series: Episodes 1-39
Studio: TMS Entertainment
[2024 Release Window]
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray
Digimon Adventure 02
- TV Series: Episodes 1-50
Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Digimon Movie Collection 1
~ Film: Digimon Adventure the Movie
~ Film: Digimon Adventure: Our War Game!
~ Film: Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Landing!!
~ Film: Digimon the Movie
Studio: Toei Animation
1999-2000
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Giant Gorg
- TV Series: Episodes 1-26
Studio: Sunrise

[2024 Release Window]
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Groizer X
- TV Series: Episodes 1-36
Studio: Knack Productions
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray
Humanoid Monster Bem
Studio: Dai'ichi Dōga
[2024 Release Window]
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Studio: Seven Arc Pictures
[2024 Release Window]
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
- Film
Studio: P.A. Works & OLM
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Sgt. Frog Seasons 5-7
- TV Series: Episodes 206-358
Studio: Sunrise
2008-10
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray
Space Musketeer Bismark
~ TV Series: Episodes 1-51
Studio: Studio Pierrot
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray
Asian Cinema:
Label:​
Year:​
Audio:​
Android Kikaider
人造人間キカイダー

- TV Series: Episodes 1-52
Directed by Hidetoshi Kitamura
[2024 Release Window]
TOKU TIME
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Dororo
どろろ

- Film
Directed by Akihiko Shiota
NIHON NIGHTS
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Electric Dragon 80,000V
エレクトリック·ドラゴン 80000V

- Film
Directed by Gakuryū Ishii (Sogo Ishii)
[2024 Release Window]
NIHON NIGHTS
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Kamen Rider V3
仮面ライダーV3

- TV Series: Episodes 1-52
Directed by Minoru Yamada
[2024 Release Window]
TOKU TIME
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Kekko Kamen: The Trilogy
けっこう仮面
けっこう仮面2
けっこう仮面3

~ Film: Kekko Kamen
~ & Film: Kekko Kamen 2
~ & Film: Kekko Kamen 3
Directed by Hikari Hayakawa & Yutaka Akiyama
[2024 Release Window]
NIHON NIGHTS
1991-93
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray
MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) Volume 1
- TV Series: Episodes 1-51
Adapted by Paul Abeyta, Peter Kaikko & Larry Strawther
Based on 1986's Takeshi's Castle
[2024 Release Window]
NIHON NIGHTS
2003-04
English Audio
with English HOH Subs
SD Blu-ray
MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) Volume 2
- TV Series: Episodes 52-79
Adapted by Paul Abeyta, Peter Kaikko & Larry Strawther
Based on 1986's Takeshi's Castle
NIHON NIGHTS
2005-06
English Audio
with English HOH Subs
SD Blu-ray
Ouran High School Host Club
映画 桜蘭高校ホスト部

- Film
Directed by Choru Han
[2024 Release Window]
NIHON NIGHTS
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
PARTY 7
- Film
Directed by Katsuhito Ishii
NIHON NIGHTS
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
RoboGeisha
ロボゲイシャ

- Film
Directed by Noboru Iguchi
[2024 Release Window]
NIHON NIGHTS
English & Japanese Audio
with English Subs
Blu-ray
Special Rescue Police Winspector
特警ウインスペクター

- TV Series: Episodes 1-49
Directed by Shōhei Tōjō
TOKU TIME
Japanese Audio
with English Subs
SD Blu-ray

both now available for Pre-order, free internationl shipping for orders above 19 €

German packaging
AnimEigo discs incl. English dubs & subs
exclusive Mini-Booklet (don't know if German or just art)
includes O-Card

both now available for Pre-order, free internationl shipping for orders above 19 €

German packaging
AnimEigo discs incl. English dubs & subs
exclusive Mini-Booklet (don't know if German or just art)
includes O-Card
Cheers. Might grab these for the updated discs, cheaper than grabbing them from Animego even with the discount for owning the Kickstarter sets.

Just ordered Kite from Amazon US. $30, so full retail I assume, plus another $13 for postage and VAT. It's bonkers to me that there's literally no other option because Discotek's distribution network is two stores, and one won't stock it. I miss UP :(
What annoys me most is if you dare bring up how mad the lack of locations you can buy their stuff in you're often met with shrugs or that they're okay with it.

Seeing the state of Discotek on CR makes me wonder how that isn't effecting the bottom line. I have seen a FOMO mentality birthed from so much being OOS all the time so perhaps that is beneficial.

Desperate for them to stock elsewhere (or actually have their own store) but it doesn't look likely.

What annoys me most is if you dare bring up how mad the lack of locations you can buy their stuff in you're often met with shrugs or that they're okay with it.

Desperate for them to stock elsewhere (or actually have their own store) but it doesn't look likely.
I really don't understand how people can be happy with the lack of availability with their titles, the fact that they only officially distribute to Amazon and Cruchyroll (which won't even carry certain titles) is crazy. Like you have said they really need to get their products onto more stores, especially after the City Hunter debacle.

I am surprised they don't try to make their products more import friendly. A lot of their titles will never see the light of day here because of BBFC costs and other factors.

It does depend on others actually wanting to carry their stuff, Diabolikdvd does carry the live action movies but they don't seem to want to have their entire anime catalogue. Ultimately, that's the main thing. Starting their own store would involve more costs, doesn't sound like they really wanna do that.

interesting that Kite is now cleared for international order, at your own risk of course.

It does depend on others actually wanting to carry their stuff, Diabolikdvd does carry the live action movies but they don't seem to want to have their entire anime catalogue. Ultimately, that's the main thing. Starting their own store would involve more costs, doesn't sound like they really wanna do that.

interesting that Kite is now cleared for international order, at your own risk of course.

We are often told that the majority of Discotek titles have lifetime sales in the hundreds and few thousands. With an appropriate warehouse a single employee could probably handle orders at that volume. They are very boutique.

ngl I have little knowledge of the costs but if brick and mortar stores can handle daily online orders then so can Discotek. It would allow for better stock numbers, sales and oppurtunities for Discotek to grow their brand further (like sell shirts and basic sh*t).

I watch youtube channels that are a single store that manage to do it. Discotek just need a small warehouse with an office for shipping out.

Little known fact it seems is they literally used to do this. I bought Lupin III Green vs Red on DVD directly from their website back in the day. They shipped it internationally and everything, though they stopped that eventually. I think the store was around well into 2016 at least.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 17-46-12 Discotek Media STORE.png

We are often told that the majority of Discotek titles have lifetime sales in the hundreds and few thousands. With an appropriate warehouse a single employee could probably handle orders at that volume. They are very boutique.

ngl I have little knowledge of the costs but if brick and mortar stores can handle daily online orders then so can Discotek. It would allow for better stock numbers, sales and oppurtunities for Discotek to grow their brand further (like sell shirts and basic sh*t).

I watch youtube channels that are a single store that manage to do it. Discotek just need a small warehouse with an office for shipping out.

Little known fact it seems is they literally used to do this. I bought Lupin III Green vs Red on DVD directly from their website back in the day. They shipped it internationally and everything, though they stopped that eventually. I think the store was around well into 2016 at least.
Interesting, but still, if they aren't interested in doing that again, it does come down if there are provided options. I agree just amazon isn't great because it relies on them not getting annoyed at something (just look at their Sex and Fury cover on Amazon, for example), but there are options and their main interest for them will be domestic customers. At least for now, there are ways to import, can require more hoops.

Last edited:
More Discotek titles going OOP

I've been meaning to pick up the Detective Conan specials and movies, hopefully they'll stay in-stock until Thursday, don't wanna miss out on those, expected them to last for longer (wasn't planning a Crunchyroll Store order either atm).

Luckily I already have Kyousougiga and surprised it's taken this long considering it's quite an old release now.

EDIT: One of the Conan specials is already OOS on the Crunchyroll Store 😅 may come back in though for a bit.

1000001684.jpg

Last edited:
My fifth Discotek Media haul from Stackry for this year arrived today. Wanted to go for more recent-ish titles for a change of pace (though the recent OOP news didn't help at the slightest, always happens whenever I go for newer titles heh).

10 releases this time due to Crunchyroll adding a Hina Nendo to the order due to ordering $150+ and didn't want customs getting in the way.

To recap, there are two methods tested - traditional top-menu i.e. on PS5, and Panasonic top-menu method (pressing Stop, then Top-Menu afterwards).

Here's the results:
Anime
Disc Region / Top-Menu​
Panasonic Method​
Released​
Ghost Stories
A Locked
A Locked
February 2023
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! Collection 1
A Locked
Success
January 2021
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! Collection 2
A Locked
Success
March 2021
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! Collection 3
A Locked
Success
October 2021
Hand Maid May
A Locked
A Locked
February 2024
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
A Locked
A Locked
May 2024
Mononoke
A Locked
A Locked
March 2023
Overman King Gainer
A Locked
A Locked
December 2023
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
4K All Region
-​
November 2023
Z/X: Ignition
A Locked
Success
November 2021

Galaxy Express 999.gif

For those who want City Hunter 2, now it's your chance to get them once again.

Thanks for the heads up, finally got my order in on it this time, thank god I just got paid around 40 mins ago.

I also got in one of the three Detective Conan titles which were just announced as going OOP (the other two aren't in-stock currently) and threw in another to get ahead of the game.

Added She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- as well as that was another title announced as going OOP some time back.

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up. I've never ordered off them before, stackry is the method to go with?

Thanks for the heads up. I've never ordered off them before, stackry is the method to go with?
Yes, they’re very reliable - just make sure you enter your Stackry address in correctly (I.e., including your designated unit number) and you should be good to go. If you’re a first time user and want a postage discount you can go via this link.

Noticed that the upcoming Riding Bean Blu-ray is on Amazon UK for a touch under £14. I'm not sure what's going on here as apparently it not dispatching from the US.

No sign of Otaku no Video, though that's not out till October.
That's interesting. I know AnimEigo have UK rights and the OVA has been released in the UK during the 90s (with an 18) but there's nothing on the artwork that suggests a UK version unless they plan to put stickers on it or something lol.

Back